Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Overture Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
However, I have had sites that INITIALLY did very well with google...only to take a slide.

I determined that the return on the initial high positioning was not worth my time to persue... so I worked to position the site back to a solid position and sold.

maybe this is what you were experiencing... ;)

centerpoint

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks bidawinner

I understand what you are saying. I guess I am just looking
at it from a developers point of view. I have always been able to
obtain decent results no matter what the domain name is.

Mind you I still get stuck determining the quality of a name by it's flow and brandability rather than it's target.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Larry
geez....i thought (hoped) we were done with this issue:

Survey says: WRONG!

Bid - one of the aforementioned sites that does very well in google has:

NO inbounds

NO fresh content

apart from adding one (poor performing) affiliate link in the last 90 days, the site has had NO activity on my part what-so-ever.

I GUARANTEE you that the domains you mentioned would achieve the same results if i had the time to develop them - it has proven to be true time after time.

dont push me to prove it!!

:upset: :upset: :upset:

hehe :D

What are you talking about ?

I am talking about Baseball-Posters.com

and BaseballPoster.com

NEITHER rank well on Google for the the term "Baseball Posters"

are you boozing today ? :laugh:

All I did was PROVE that the Domain name does MATTER .. hence the MSN results..

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
geez....i thought (hoped) we were done with this issue:

Survey says: WRONG!

Bid - one of the aforementioned sites that does very well in google has:

NO inbounds

NO fresh content

apart from adding one (poor performing) affiliate link in the last 90 days, the site has had NO activity on my part what-so-ever.

I GUARANTEE you that the domains you mentioned would achieve the same results if i had the time to develop them - it has proven to be true time after time.

dont push me to prove it!!

:upset: :upset: :upset:

hehe :D

Larry if you are talking about the ranking you PM'd me about a week or so ago..

and you are saying has no inbound links ..then thats simply a crock.. Google wont list you unless you have at least one inbound link..

Unless you can prove otherwise..I say no way..

OTHER than of course being a DMOZ editor you simply list the site!

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What are you talking about ?

I know what you are talking about. And my response (in a nutshell)...dont make me prove that your experience with those domains that you previously owned was a fluke.

When I said one of the aforementioned sites I was not speaking to the previous poor job of obtaining high positions on google for those names that you previously owned.

I was speaking of my sites and my names...which i pm'd you about in the past.

A dmoz link makes for good positioning? Stop it bid! You know better than that.

One particular site I own has a long-time page rank of 2-3 and still maintains the positions in the top 5 (usually in the top 3) for non-domain-name-key-phrase-positions.

what other proof do you need that all the "experts" algos are guidelines at BEST and are probably false and misleading?

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I know what you are talking about. And my response (in a nutshell)...dont make me prove that your experience with those domains that you previously owned was a fluke.

When I said one of the aforementioned sites I was not speaking to the previous poor job of obtaining high positions on google for those names that you previously owned.

I was speaking of my sites and my names...which i pm'd you about in the past.

A dmoz link makes for good positioning? Stop it bid! You know better than that.

One particular site I own has a long-time page rank of 2-3 and still maintains the positions in the top 5 (usually in the top 3) for non-domain-name-key-phrase-positions.

what other proof do you need that all the "experts" algos are guidelines at BEST and are probably false and misleading?

Yawn...this is getting old Larry.. you cant even / wont prove it.. AND to say my sites are a fluke is just to funny.. I do this over and over and over all the time..

And to PROVE it..here are 2 MORE sites of mine that I did ..

They hold the 1st and 3rd position (after the sponsered and directory sites) # 6 and #8

http://msn.com

search for "Hockey Posters"

HockeyPoster.com and Hockey-Poster.com

Hows that for a fluke !:razz:

The truth is your domain DOES matter...

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's more prof your domain DOES matter...that the search engines do indeed look at your domain..

I own LotteryResults.us

typein lotteryresults at google

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=lotteryresults

There I am ..# 3 lotteryresults.us .. look at my site only one other instance of "lotteryresults" and thats in my logo.

Yes..Search engines read the domain..that is the truth...

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
blah...blah...blah... ;)

thats not good bid. you just said...

they dont get much traffic probably 10 visitors a day because msn isnt used nearly as much as google

so why would you show me msn results as proof that you know what you are doing? how does that prove the domain matters?

obviously by your own words....it doesnt.

i gotta get back to my fabulous wife.

i'll give you a small example (one of my small sites) in the morning of why everything you said related to the name is not relevent.

my apologies for being rushed this evening...

just to recap before I go:

1) domain names (apart form what i have already outlined) do not make a difference in search engine positioning

2) my "fluke" statement was related to your inability to get the poster names ranked in a position that generated enough income for you not to sell them off. - not your abilities in general - go back and read it again.

3) i'll show you tomorrow that all the statements i made here are true - and that they fly in the face of all the advice that you have handed out in the "free google" thread and all your "positioning" thougts above.

and your assertion that the lottery results returns holds any value is further perpetuation of your domain name myth and I'll show you why in the morning (although I dont expect YOU to agree, I believe others here will see through the scurilous "Google and Overture" postings once and for all.

opinions vary bid...ours just differ on this issue! no hard feelings either way (especially after I expose the domain name = search term scandal! ;) )

talk to you tomorrow

:D

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
blah...blah...blah... ;)

thats not good bid. you just said...

so why would you show me msn results as proof that you know what you are doing? how does that prove the domain matters?

obviously by your own words....it doesnt.

i gotta get back to my fabulous wife.

i'll give you a small example (one of my small sites) in the morning of why everything you said related to the name is not relevent.

my apologies for being rushed this evening...

just to recap before I go:

1) domain names (apart form what i have already outlined) do not make a difference in search engine positioning

2) my "fluke" statement was related to your inability to get the poster names ranked in a position that generated enough income for you not to sell them off. - not your abilities in general - go back and read it again.

3) i'll show you tomorrow that all the statements i made here are true - and that they fly in the face of all the advice that you have handed out in the "free google" thread and all your "positioning" thougts above.

and your assertion that the lottery results returns holds any value is further perpetuation of your domain name myth and I'll show you why in the morning (although I dont expect YOU to agree, I believe others here will see through the scurilous "Google and Overture" postings once and for all.

opinions vary bid...ours just differ on this issue! no hard feelings either way (especially after I expose the domain name = search term scandal! ;) )

talk to you tomorrow

:D

Oh Please Larry..

COME TO YOUR SENSES MAN :laugh:

enough of the nonsense I have already EASILY proved the domain DOES matter.

I do know what I am doing Larry and all you are doing is twisting words..all we are doing is showing that search engines DO take the domain into their algo's..

The only question is how many times do I have to prove it before you say uncle !:laugh:

Everyone's here..everyone's reading it now...screw tommorrow.. show us these google listed sites without any inbound links..

juts post the domains.. very simple ..

No hard feeling here either. I like a good debate.. problem is I am the only one offering up any evidence :D

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner Here's more prof your domain DOES matter...that the search engines do indeed look at your domain..I own LotteryResults.us typein lotteryresults at google http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=lotteryresults There I am ..# 3 lotteryresults.us .. look at my site only one other instance of "lotteryresults" and thats in my logo. Yes..Search engines read the domain..that is the truth...

Agree Bid, I have many domains which I am convinced rank high at Google in particular due to the keywords in the domain. I know Google uses technology called word parsing where keywords in a domain are seperated by the SE.

I am 99% certain the domain adds to the website position and its google page rank too. Tomorrow I will start a new thread on this with more details on word parsing.

M

mole

Originally posted by RealNames
Tomorrow I will start a new thread on this with more details on word parsing.

britney-spears-nude-celebrity-sex.com? :D

It's amazing how one domain can be a catch all parse trap for many things.

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
This will be long winded and make several points so it will be broken up into sections.

After going back and reading this thread, the google thread you have in another section, and our pm conversation, there will be a difference in the end on how we see this...we have different experiences concerning this... I wouldn't put my ranking hopes (google) in a domain name (actually, thats all it would be - ranking hopes :laugh: ) and i havent seen any data up to this point that would make me change my mind, so in the end we probably will agree to disagree.

OK, my goal is to play on your field so here are a few assumptions I have made based on your posts in this thread.

A)

I'll assume that based on your statement about the relative weakness of msn that we can 1) disregard the hockey posting above and 2) stick with google for this conversation.

B ) I'll assume that you are comfortable using data from the overture results instead of another source like wordtracker

1) you describe people who go to a search engine and type in the domain as idiots (idiots is a little harsh but i agree with the premise). of course, as you pointed out, this is done by MILLIONS every week.

2) You say search phrases are relevent (like its a boy) but then you show run ons...lotteryresults - google is clearly keying on the run on, lotteryresults is not a word and it is not a phrase. it is two words joined, that , according to your own statement, result in an insignificant number of searches each month (see your comment on page 1 of this thread about itsaboy.com 100 results).

A search phrase IS NOT the same as two or more words running together. I'm sure you will agree with that. And a domain name IS two or more words running together (for this discussion anyway and leaving out the hyphenated argument for now).

ex: Overture results for lotteryresults.us

lotteryresults.us = No suggestions for lotteryresults.us.

lotteryresults = 85103 - this is clearly overtures breakdown of the words. they show the results as "lottery results" two words - why? because people dont tend to input runons into a search engine - they either use phrases (two or more words) or they type in a domain name they KNOW like yahoo.com
. you and i know this does not represent the actual number of searches for "lotteryresults"

lottery results = exactly the same as above

Now Google -

lotteryresults.us - 3 returns - obviously pages from your site

lotteryresults - Results 1 - 10 of about 1,950 - top of the page says - Did you mean: lottery results? (two words) - you are in spot 3 here.

google knows the searcher screwed up so they try to help.

lottery results - Results 1 - 10 of about 854,000 - went through 15 pages and couldnt find lotteryresults.us - might have missed it but dont think so. will people who go to google looking for lottery results find you? doesnt look like it to me. - maybe you could dig into your log files and share some phrases that people are using to find that site.

Aahh! A search phrase is not the same as a set of words running together.

So what are people doing? They are using search phrases - not runon words. what are domain names? runon words.

My assertion that running words together (a domain name for example) is not relevent to search TERMS/PHRASES is clearly accurate.

IF people searched by domain name only or by using runon words (like your lottery example).... a domain name would be a good indicator of potential search traffic. BUT they dont, which should remove most arguments about domain names being relevent to potential search traffic based on overture or google results.

My point is that people dont search in a format that would be required in order to take advantage of anything but "idiot" (your word) searches.

So, I think we agree that "its a boy" represents a relevent search. but itsaboy does not. and since a domain name is itsaboy..well...see google lottery results above.

I'm exhausted - ;)

lets move on -

I cringe at providing any data about any of my sites. this is a replicatable business and i dont need any more competition. so i've selected a site that meets MOST of the thoughts that I laid out to you earlier - poor google pr - link pop - etc. and it is a site that I will sell off when the right buyer comes around so there is not much for me to lose with this one. This site has been sitting relatively untouched for almost 2 years now (?). small additions and subtractions to affiliate programs and such is all that has been done to it - no attempts for positioning. the ranks achieved have been consistent but the ranks below are all a few positions lower than they were at one time which is to be expected when you arent paying attention to new competition.

http://ncautomall.com -

an example of a few google spots:

auto payment calculators - position 2

nissan dealerships - position 8

chevy dealerships - position 4

mazda dealerships - position 7

mitsubishi dealerships - position 5

interestingly, many of the sites at the top in these categories have hyphenated domain names. and at the same time, google appears to treat hyphenated search requests different than an unhyphenated one. I tend to hyphenate sub pages and believe that it is far easier to achieve a good rank by doing just that. not sure of the actual relevency related to hyphenated sub pages and hyphenated domains. it seems they would be the same but i just have never been able to show it conclusively from my experience.

maybe thats something you and i could take a look at bid if you're interested.

with a little bit of attention the rankings would be much better..like i said...from a positioning standpoint its just been sitting there for some time now.

the auto business has been off since december... but when it is up, some of the few phrases above get over 10k searches per month. is that a huge number? by itself no - but put them together and it is good.

would you rather be a very high ranking niche on terms people are using to find "stuff" or a low ranking site on a search term that gets 1,000,000 returns? i know where i want to be.

thats about as much tipping of the hand that i'm willing to do.

thanks bid and others. this has been an interesting conversation.

hopefully some of the views presented are helpful to somebody - i'd hate to think we did all this typing for our own gratification - especially as boring as it is -

i've said all i have to say on this subject and have a busy day so unless there is some compelling (or silly :D ) argument that draws me back i wont be posting on this one again.

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
sorry -edited for some poor spelling

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This will be long winded and make several points so it will be broken up into sections.

After going back and reading this thread, the google thread you have in another section, and our pm conversation, there will be a difference in the end on how we see this...we have different experiences concerning this... I wouldn't put my ranking hopes (google) in a domain name (actually, thats all it would be - ranking hopes :laugh: ) and i havent seen any data up to this point that would make me change my mind, so in the end we probably will agree to disagree.

OK, my goal is to play on your field so here are a few assumptions I have made based on your posts in this thread.

A)

I'll assume that based on your statement about the relative weakness of msn that we can 1) disregard the hockey posting above and 2) stick with google for this conversation.

B ) I'll assume that you are comfortable using data from the overture results instead of another source like wordtracker

1) you describe people who go to a search engine and type in the domain as idiots (idiots is a little harsh but i agree with the premise). of course, as you pointed out, this is done by MILLIONS every week.

2) You say search phrases are relevent (like its a boy) but then you show run ons...lotteryresults - google is clearly keying on the run on, lotteryresults is not a word and it is not a phrase. it is two words joined, that , according to your own statement, result in an insignificant number of searches each month (see your comment on page 1 of this thread about itsaboy.com 100 results).

A search phrase IS NOT the same as two or more words running together. I'm sure you will agree with that. And a domain name IS two or more words running together (for this discussion anyway and leaving out the hyphenated argument for now).

ex: Overture results for lotteryresults.us

lotteryresults.us = No suggestions for lotteryresults.us.

lotteryresults = 85103 - this is clearly overtures breakdown of the words. they show the results as "lottery results" two words - why? because people dont tend to input runons into a search engine - they either use phrases (two or more words) or they type in a domain name they KNOW like yahoo.com
. you and i know this does not represent the actual number of searches for "lotteryresults"

lottery results = exactly the same as above

Now Google -

lotteryresults.us - 3 returns - obviously pages from your site

lotteryresults - Results 1 - 10 of about 1,950 - top of the page says - Did you mean: lottery results? (two words) - you are in spot 3 here.

google knows the searcher screwed up so they try to help.

lottery results - Results 1 - 10 of about 854,000 - went through 15 pages and couldnt find lotteryresults.us - might have missed it but dont think so. will people who go to google looking for lottery results find you? doesnt look like it to me. - maybe you could dig into your log files and share some phrases that people are using to find that site.

Aahh! A search phrase is not the same as a set of words running together.

So what are people doing? They are using search phrases - not runon words. what are domain names? runon words.

My assertion that running words together (a domain name for example) is not relevent to search TERMS/PHRASES is clearly accurate.

IF people searched by domain name only or by using runon words (like your lottery example).... a domain name would be a good indicator of potential search traffic. BUT they dont, which should remove most arguments about domain names being relevent to potential search traffic based on overture or google results.

My point is that people dont search in a format that would be required in order to take advantage of anything but "idiot" (your word) searches.

So, I think we agree that "its a boy" represents a relevent search. but itsaboy does not. and since a domain name is itsaboy..well...see google lottery results above.

I'm exhausted - ;)

lets move on -

I cringe at providing any data about any of my sites. this is a replicatable business and i dont need any more competition. so i've selected a site that meets MOST of the thoughts that I laid out to you earlier - poor google pr - link pop - etc. and it is a site that I will sell off when the right buyer comes around so there is not much for me to lose with this one. This site has been sitting relatively untouched for almost 2 years now (?). small additions and subtractions to affiliate programs and such is all that has been done to it - no attempts for positioning. the ranks achieved have been consistent but the ranks below are all a few positions lower than they were at one time which is to be expected when you arent paying attention to new competition.

http://ncautomall.com -

an example of a few google spots:

auto payment calculators - position 2

nissan dealerships - position 8

chevy dealerships - position 4

mazda dealerships - position 7

mitsubishi dealerships - position 5

interestingly, many of the sites at the top in these categories have hyphenated domain names. and at the same time, google appears to treat hyphenated search requests different than an unhyphenated one. I tend to hyphenate sub pages and believe that it is far easier to achieve a good rank by doing just that. not sure of the actual relevency related to hyphenated sub pages and hyphenated domains. it seems they would be the same but i just have never been able to show it conclusively from my experience.

maybe thats something you and i could take a look at bid if you're interested.

with a little bit of attention the rankings would be much better..like i said...from a positioning standpoint its just been sitting there for some time now.

the auto business has been off since december... but when it is up, some of the few phrases above get over 10k searches per month. is that a huge number? by itself no - but put them together and it is good.

would you rather be a very high ranking niche on terms people are using to find "stuff" or a low ranking site on a search term that gets 1,000,000 returns? i know where i want to be.

thats about as much tipping of the hand that i'm willing to do.

thanks bid and others. this has been an interesting conversation.

hopefully some of the views presented are helpful to somebody - i'd hate to think we did all this typing for our own gratification - especially as boring as it is -

i've said all i have to say on this subject and have a busy day so unless there is some compelling (or silly :D ) argument that draws me back i wont be posting on this one again.

Survey Says..YOU LOSE ! :laugh:

I cant believe how you twist my words Larry...

What I said was ..low results for typing in itsaboy.com (100) "itsaboy" gets 100,000 searches a month.

LotteryResults...once agin you dont know what you are talking about..

PEOPLE ARE searching "lotteryresults"
Here are some of my stats

infospace.com (# of Search Requests - Search Phrase Used)

6 lotteryresults

yahoo.com (# of Search Requests - Search Phrase Used)

42 lotteryresults

lycos.com (# of Search Requests - Search Phrase Used)

2 lotteryresults

google.com (# of Search Requests - Search Phrase Used)

25 lotteryresults

aol.com (# of Search Requests - Search Phrase Used)

35 lotteryresults

Larry ..

For one thing none of those search terms have any competition! :laugh:

Now you are claiming that the Domain has not effect on ranking..

so everyone type in his domain ..here is the search results..

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=ncautomall

:laugh: whats this you place #1 ....how on earth did google find that ?:laugh:

Next lets move on to all those links you claim you dont have .. 3 Pages of links !:laugh:

And whats this ..you are a DMOZ editor ? ..well well looks like you managed to get your site all over the place simply by listing it in DMOZ!:laugh:

The evidence speaks for it self Larry.. this is WHY DMOZ needs to be torn down !

You didnt do ANYTHING special.. youlisted your own site in DMOZ which then most of the web uses as it's "directory" ..

Big fat YAWN Larry..

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
????

that entire post is incoherent bid.

none of the information you posted there is of any value and most of it has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

if somebody else can make some sense of his post please do.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
????

that entire post is incoherent bid.

none of the information you posted there is of any value and most of it has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

if somebody else can make some sense of his post please do.

Thats probably your best approach ..act like you dont know what I am talking about :razz:

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
hold on bid...i'm disecting that ridiculous babble and will have a response for you in a few...

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hold on bid...i'm disecting that ridiculous babble and will have a response for you in a few...

What is there to disect.. it's plain as Day.. DMOZ

You claim you have no inbound links, you are wrong ..you are ranking because you are DMOZ listed with inbound links..

I already dissected for you..

You arent doing any SEO..the only SEO you have done is become a DMOZ editor !

M

mole

Originally posted by bidawinner
You arent doing any SEO..the only SEO you have done is become a DMOZ editor !

What is the best way for me to become a DMOZ editor? I was rejected 2 years ago :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators