Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Partnercash.com sells for $110k ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DaddyHalbucks said:
The other problem with IDNs that the inherent nature of the traffic. Even if you assume that the person has the appropriate keyboard, and the IDNs will work (not be blocked) --how to make money from that person? Just because alot of Chinese folk are on your website, even if they WANT to buy, doesn't mean they will convert to paying customers. Billing is the other weak link for foreign traffic.

Sorry, but this question again reflects your insular perspective.

For companies targeting China one assumes they have worked out how they are going to get paid.

The Chinese have no interest in blocking IDN.

Chinese already put 99% of their input in local characters so the extra 1% shouldn't stretch them too much.

No they won't want to buy American Oriented products, advertised in English, price in dollars and only by mail order from the US!

The inherent nature of the traffic, however, far from being a major disadvantage will be a huge bonus, because you will be able to target people with culturally and geographically relevant advertising.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

wohl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if schwartz had by some error allowed partnercash.com to drop, and someone else had registered it, i bet he'd think twice about offering even $1k for it.
He's a bully who got lucky.

wohl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i shudder at the thought of learning something from him.
i'll just accept that selling domains for fair prices means i help out the buyer and doesn't always maximise my own resources. I have other more important priorities.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DaddyHalbucks said:
I am not going to argue with the first part of your characterization, however, he seems to get lucky quite regularly.

You could learn something from him.
I agree with you there.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dwrixon said:
The Chinese have no interest in blocking IDN.

So...WHAT?

Fortuneately, the Chinese don't control the internet, the US does.

However, blocking IDNs is a very real possibility in the US, where these domains currently open a can of worms.

Would the rest of the world develop a second internet for IDNs? Would the rest of the world care if it was isolated from the US part of the net?

Will technology save the day and solve the problems of IDNs?

Place your bets.

I have $0 riding on IDNs right now.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So...WHAT?

Fortuneately, the Chinese don't control the internet, the US does.

YES IN THEORY THE US DOES HAVE SOME POLITICAL CONTROL OVER THE INTERNET, JUST IN THE SAME WAY AS THE BRITISH MONARCH CAN IN THEORY OVERRIDE THE UK GOVERNMENT. OF COURSE THE SECOND HAS NEVER HAPPENED AS IT WOULD RESULT IN AN INSTANT RE-WRITING OF THE CONSTITUION AND THE MONARCH WOULD GET DUMPED FASTER THAN YOU COULD SAY " GOD SAVE THE QUEEN".

However, blocking IDNs is a very real possibility in the US, where these domains currently open a can of worms.

TO GIVE SOME CREDIBILITY TO THIS STATEMENT YOU WOULD NEED TO PROVIDE REFERENCES TO EITHER A PUBLISHED PAPER FROM ICANN OR THE TEXT OF A SPEECH FROM AN INFLUENTIAL POLITICIAN. WE LOOK FORWARD TO STUDYING ANY CREDIBILE EVIDENCE THAT YOU MIGHT HAVE.

Would the rest of the world develop a second internet for IDNs? Would the rest of the world care if it was isolated from the US part of the net?

ALL THIS WOULD MEAN IS THAT MOST US ORGANISATIONS WITH AN INTERNATIONAL PERSPECTIVE WOULD NEED TO HAVE TWO WEBSITES, A MAIN ONE AN A SECONDARY SITE TO COVER THE US MARKET. DOT COM WOULD ALMOST CERTAINLY BE USED BY THE REST OF THE WORLD AS IS A GENERIC TLD, SALES IN DOT US WOULD OBVIOUSLY SOAR FOR THE US MARKET. IF YOU BELIEVE THIS NONSENSE, I WOULD GET IN QUICK IF I WERE YOU!

THE MAIN REGISTRIES WOULD BE DUPLICATED, THERE WOULD BE A NIGHTMARE SITUATION OVER WHO ACTUALLY OWNED WHAT. WOULD YOU STILL HAVE RIGHTS OVER BOTH VERSION OF DOT COM? IN ANY EVENT SOMEONE WOULD MAKE A FORTUNE OUT DUPLICATE THE ANNUAL RENEWAL FEES. OF COURSE THE US VERSION OF DOT COM WOULD NOT REALLY BE WORTH THAT MUCH, AS ITS POTENTIAL CATCHMENT WOULD HAVE SHRUNK FROM TO 6 BILLION TO ONLY 300 MILLION.

Will technology save the day and solve the problems of IDNs?

THE IDN PROBLEM APPEARS TO BE MAINLY CONJECTURE. SPLITTING THE INTERNET WOULD HOWEVER BE A HUGE BENEFIT TO THE REST OF THE WORLD IN TERMS OF SECURITY, AS MOST OF THE SCAMS CURRENTLY APPEAR TO US BASED.

Place your bets.

I have $0 riding on IDNs right now.

IDEAL OPPORTUNITY THEN TO GET INTO THE MARKET, JUST AS IT IS LIKELY TO TAKE OFF WITH RELEASE OF IE 7.0 WHICH MEANS THAT THEY WILL SOON RUN NATIVE FROM THE BROWSERS OF MILLIONS WORLD WIDE!

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dave,

I didn't just mean the US government controls the net. I meant US entities, such as Verisign, Microsoft, AT&T, Qwest, eBay, AOL, etc.. have a huge influence. But, yes, you can add in ICANN too.

If MS determines that IDNs pose a security threat, I don't imagine any political approval is required for them to block IDNs in their next browser. Same for AOL.

The internet rocks because of its seemlessness. If IDNs seriously worsen "phishing" I don't know if IDNs are compatible with that "one net" goal.

I hope IDNs fulfill all your fantasies, but the last few chapters on IDNs have yet to be written.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DaddyHalbucks said:
Dave,

I didn't just mean the US government controls the net. I meant US entities, such as Verisign, Microsoft, AT&T, Qwest, eBay, AOL, etc.. have a huge influence. But, yes, you can add in ICANN too.

If MS determines that IDNs pose a security threat, I don't imagine any political approval is required for them to block IDNs in their next browser. Same for AOL.

The internet rocks because of its seemlessness. If IDNs seriously worsen "phishing" I don't know if IDNs are compatible with that "one net" goal.

I hope IDNs fulfill all your fantasies, but the last few chapters on IDNs have yet to be written.

Yes, I agree all these entities have a huge influence, but although founded in the US most will have a serious interest in global markets.

Ebay has just established Paypal in China.

Microsoft is desperate to challenge Google and Yahoo in the international search market, where they all hope to derive huge earnings growth. They all competing in China, but the markets is still dominated by local players. The Arabic and Hindi web pages are being indexed in earnest and Google is already placing Adwords with Arabic Script.

Verisign is very keen to expand both its dot com and dot net registers as a consequence of the wider adoption of IDN, which could eventually account for far more domain registrations that the conventional English ones. Dot org is expanding its IDN offering and is about to reduce prices in India and Brazil to just $1 each.

ICANN has been largely responsible for driving IDN and its implementation.

With or without Qwest and AT&T, China will soon have not only more Broadband connections than the US, but they will also be typically much faster.

It may well be that some of these enterprises have concerns, but all have competition and are invariable looking for solutions that will increase their revenue. None of these companies have a vested interest in splitting the internet into US and Rest of World segments. None have any interest other than participating in the Global expanion of the communications industry. Most will see IDNA as primarily an opportunity dispite any misgivings they might have on security, which is primarily a browser issue. MS have begun the roll out of EI 7.0 which not only incorporates IDN resolution, but also has enhanced security to combat phishing.

Yes, you are correct to say that the story is not finally written, but then speculators don't generally make their brass visiting museums. If you wait until the eyes are dotted and the tees are crossed, any rich opportunities will be long gone.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

M

mole

dwrixon said:
If you wait until the eyes are dotted and the tees are crossed, any rich opportunities will be long gone.

It's very typical of people who dotted the i's and crossed the t's early to say "Get .COM, its the best". Then when you agree and say "okay, can I buy a name from you?", the response is invariably "why sure, but I don't sell ANY of my thousands of domain names below $100,000".

The domain industry is a self-serving ecosystem that unfortunately feeds on itself, a paradox and a parody all wrapped into a sushi roll.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dwrixon said:
Yes, you are correct to say that the story is not finally written, but then speculators don't generally make their brass visiting museums. If you wait until the eyes are dotted and the tees are crossed, any rich opportunities will be long gone.

Good point.

Investors have to take risks, and look ahead.

No risk = no reward.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DaddyHalbucks said:
Yes, you are asking Main Street America to use Chinese!

Because, when Mary Jane in Peoria clicks on a link that looks like it belongs to an American company, she will really be going to phishers in China.

If phishing is a problem now, how will IDNs effect it? We all know it will make the problem MUCH worse.

It is becoming increasing apparent that IDN is going to be essential to control Phishing in much of the world. Each language system is in Asia has at some time or other been represented in Latin Characters, however, users of other scripts are at best uncomfortable with these systems. There are often more than one system per language and within each system generally more than one way of transliterating the local characters. To those who speak Asian languages, they will more often than not be confused as to how to represent their own language in strange character sets. The non-adoption of IDN will therefore lay most of the markets of Asia open to Phishing scams that just register a different transliteration variant. The Phishing risk is obvious. The only sensible way to combat it, will be to present the familiar local characters in the URL so that a local reader is easily able to distinguishing between genuine URLs and those of scammers. IDN implementation is therefore essential.

Of course if you then go on to argue that the interests of the Anglo Saxon world must take precidence over others, we then get back to the rights and wrongs of handing the Internet over to the UN.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators