Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Pitching Domain to a Billion $ Company

Maggie Mae

Level 4
Reaction score
Has anyone here in the DNForum community created and submitted a domain pitch deck to a billion dollar consumer corporation?

I have a 10L dot com domain that I'm considering pitching and am interested in hearing others' stories, even if you've pitched to a smaller company.

Please Note: this is not a trademark infringement domain, it's just a great name for this particular industry.

Domain summit 2024
Reaction score
Pitching to a billion dollar corporation ----> This perhaps might be a canned reply "You don't meet our capitol requirements"..., Buying a $6.75 domain and turning it to 6-figure sale is simply lacks reason. You need to lure them how they collectively spend the big bucks luring you to eat avocados during super-bowls. IMO, I will stop spending money to even purchase Linked-IN credits to contact personally, or send them a lux-printed brochure listing the merits, or even a ticker ad on wall/st,..., Most often, corporate culture lacks openness, integrity & empathy for people with aspiring idea[l]s, creativity. Any change is often met with heavy red tape and bureaucracy, that most often the word about your idea [domain in your case, startups in my accord] often stops at the reception desk, and never gets past the gatekeepers. To reaffirm the reality, even [I repeat again, EVEN] small startups are not keen to acquire a domain that fits their bill, where the domain qualifies exceptionally, and have on-boarded the dot-gibberish bandwagon. Perhaps, I must start collecting stories.

Maggie Mae

Level 4
Reaction score
Thank you, DNChat ...

It's not about selling a low cost domain with a big, inflated price tag to a wealthy corporation; it's a pitch that shows how the domain can bring value to the brand as a campaign.

The domain is not intended to replace the brand domain.

My background is national marketing/advertising/branding and you pitch to become the agency of record and you pitch campaign/brand names, etc. It's not hard to directly reach the decision makers when you know how – or have contacts in the industry.

What matters is can we truly bring value to the brand with a domain? Can we help them break through the advertising noise, create a unique customer experience that will drive traffic and sales? Is the offer within their budget? And can we communicate that effectively and succinctly in a pitch?

This is a catchy, memorable domain with dictionary words that has consumer product appeal and can make a great campaign.

Here are two examples:

Mayhem(dot)com redirects to AllState Insurance (their ad campaign is the mayhem guy)

Dove's has an award-winning Real Beauty campaign (launched in 2004) ... but when you key in RealBeauty(dot)com it redirects to Elle(dot)com (owned since 1998)

So, owning a domain that can work for a campaign, or future campaign can be a solid investment.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

i think you already made your pitch in the above post.
just have to move some words around add some examples, and tah-dah!

sometimes, the less you say, the more the domain name can speak for itself
it's just a matter of whether the batter swings at a fast ball, a curve ball or a slider.

imo...

Reaction score
Thank you, DNChat ...

It's not about selling a low cost domain with a big, inflated price tag to a wealthy corporation; it's a pitch that shows how the domain can bring value to the brand as a campaign.

The domain is not intended to replace the brand domain.

My background is national marketing/advertising/branding and you pitch to become the agency of record and you pitch campaign/brand names, etc. It's not hard to directly reach the decision makers when you know how – or have contacts in the industry.

What matters is can we truly bring value to the brand with a domain? Can we help them break through the advertising noise, create a unique customer experience that will drive traffic and sales? Is the offer within their budget? And can we communicate that effectively and succinctly in a pitch?

This is a catchy, memorable domain with dictionary words that has consumer product appeal and can make a great campaign.

Here are two examples:

Mayhem(dot)com redirects to AllState Insurance (their ad campaign is the mayhem guy)

Dove's has an award-winning Real Beauty campaign (launched in 2004) ... but when you key in RealBeauty(dot)com it redirects to Elle(dot)com (owned since 1998)

So, owning a domain that can work for a campaign, or future campaign can be a solid investment.

Pardon my tone.

I am blunt, and often bad at writing polished. Sales is harder for domineers, and it takes a lot of referrals to even pitch your product to the right person.

Taking a lesson from RealBeauty --> You can always sell to those who are willing to pay more. ; ) A lot of examples follow..., But, interest is often subjective to those who make the decisions. In an era dictated by algorithms, most decisions, esp. marketing are simply lesser about speculation. Budgets are laid on basis of what worked best. And, who you pitch is the real deal.

My take on pitching to business is, they always go by market vibes, trendy, saasy, and that really connects their audience. This is not an era where value for keyword or dictionary word domains have craze! <---- This is simply the harsh reality.

Case in point, [n.ke] ..., A couple of domainers camped in kenya to acquire the A-Z extensions, an luckily managed to sell [n.ke] to Nike.., They sold it via brokerage for almost 1.5M. But, I would say this is even too low by some market standards, for that Nike's minting that money per day.. But, not a bad deal for the duo!

What I wanted to add here is, you always don't need to do that hard work. You can always use a brokerage services. But if you are insistent on doing own sales, burn the oil, make the calls, and find the spot ; ) I wish you the best.

SHAMELESS PLUG: I run a domain brokerage services & domains acquisition. DM me incase [PAID]

Maggie Mae

Level 4
Reaction score
This is not an era where value for keyword or dictionary word domains have craze!

DNChat, thank you, I don't take offense; I enjoy hearing what others have experienced.

The reason I mentioned dictionary words is b/c in the right context, they can hold commercial value. One reason is for users preferring hands-free, voice control of their digital device, correctly spelled words can make it easier to be found than alternate spellings that are pronouced the same (ie. Users vs. Userz).

Maggie Mae

Level 4
Reaction score
Hi

i think you already made your pitch in the above post.
just have to move some words around add some examples, and tah-dah!

sometimes, the less you say, the more the domain name can speak for itself
it's just a matter of whether the batter swings at a fast ball, a curve ball or a slider.

imo...

Maggie Mae

Level 4
Reaction score
Thank you, Biggie! I agree, less is often more. No amount of selling can sell a bad idea or domain.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
As long as the domain does not infringe on existing brands or trademarks, establish a connection via LinkedIn with their officers and seek their attention. Generic domains that can be used like satellites to products and services can be acquired at reasonable rates. Prepare a proposal based on how you believe the domain would benefit the company's market reach.

The alleged sale of n.ke is unverified and it's dangerously close to infringement, IMO.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A short note to one of the decision makers is key.

Has anyone here in the DNForum community created and submitted a domain pitch deck to a billion dollar consumer corporation?

I have a 10L dot com domain that I'm considering pitching and am interested in hearing others' stories, even if you've pitched to a smaller company.

Please Note: this is not a trademark infringement domain, it's just a great name for this particular industry.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators