Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Please review my website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yep Beardy, that looks much better mate. Very much cleaner and crisper. Of course the page fold position will obviously make it look different which means the bottom half of the page might still be a little dull but that looks much better. :) By the way, I've been dreaming about beards and I believe I may have a proposition for you. I bought a domain and am building a website and writing some copy right now and I believe we may be able to cooperate on a project! Hit me up and we'll see, Chris.

I appreciate it. My programmer has already begun updating the theme. I'm pretty excited to see it live! Thanks for the comments!

If anyone else would take a few minutes of their time to explain how they feel about the website - I'd appreciate it..

CarlosC

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Looks like a fun site. The photo on the homepage is way to big. Takes up everything above the fold, don't like that.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
First thing you need to ask yourself is, "what do I want to do with this web site?"

Adding imagery around the keyword isn't sufficient. Your goal, I would imagine, is to make money. So while the cute different facial hair styles are re-enforcing the "beards" keyword, if your plan is to make $$$ then you need to switch to affiliate/shopping solutions, such as an Amazon store. This way, your beards are there but so are your links to products that you'd get a commission on. Otherwise, if you keep it as is, it's just a mini-site with no future.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Looks like a fun site. The photo on the homepage is way to big. Takes up everything above the fold, don't like that.

Carlos - Thanks. I agree it's way too big.

First thing you need to ask yourself is, "what do I want to do with this web site?"

Adding imagery around the keyword isn't sufficient. Your goal, I would imagine, is to make money. So while the cute different facial hair styles are re-enforcing the "beards" keyword, if your plan is to make $$$ then you need to switch to affiliate/shopping solutions, such as an Amazon store. This way, your beards are there but so are your links to products that you'd get a commission on. Otherwise, if you keep it as is, it's just a mini-site with no future.

Theo - The website will be monetized through sponsored content and eventually a speciality e-shop. The website will be updated with content weekly to help increase its reach. Beards isn't intended to be a minisite. The content I have already added is only the "base" of the pyramid. In 2014, once all ranks have been established, my content will bring in roughly 50,000 uniques a month from search alone. The value of Beards is it's reach and it's incredibly targeted demographics.

I'm just over 3 months in and I'm seeing 15,000 serp impression per month. Not too shabby.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
That's great. And how much money is it making?

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's great. And how much money is it making?

Oh Theo. Don't be an antagonist. My previous post clearly states that the site is not monetized and even if it were I would definitely not disclose that information publicly. Thanks for the comment.

Anyone else?

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How about the front page as a lander to show off beards? Let people tag them however they want. Sort of like a pinterest meets facebook site for beards?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Oh Theo. Don't be an antagonist. My previous post clearly states that the site is not monetized and even if it were I would definitely not disclose that information publicly. Thanks for the comment.

Anyone else?

I'm asking the obvious: what's the point of asking for a review, when the content is not serving a conversion point? You just want me to review whether I like the various beard images?

A lot of domainers venture off into the wonderful world of 'development', only to discover that a generic or second-tier long tail serves no purpose - unless it makes money.

Chappy

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised there are so many searches for the term beards. I imagine anyone wanting to know about beards would not simply type beards into Google but something more specific like "How do i trim my beard" or "Is a beard cool"?.

You're competition will be beards.org which appears to have an established site all about the wonderful world of beards.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Excellent point, Chappy!

I feel overall what it lacks is some type of personal connection tied into your content. To me, the front page is just not going in the direction you need to take. The frontpage still looks like an e-commerce site to me. If you want it content based, find a way to tie that into the homepage and not just the beard art and huge rotating pictures.

And as Chappy pointed out, find out the specific information & and queries people are looking for and get that tied into your homepage somehow. Right now, all your good content seems shoved to the back, the current homepage lander make me think "ok, where can I buy some shaving cream or razors?"

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Excellent point, Chappy!

I feel overall what it lacks is some type of personal connection tied into your content. To me, the front page is just not going in the direction you need to take. The frontpage still looks like an e-commerce site to me. If you want it content based, find a way to tie that into the homepage and not just the beard art and huge rotating pictures.

And as Chappy pointed out, find out the specific information & and queries people are looking for and get that tied into your homepage somehow. Right now, all your good content seems shoved to the back, the current homepage lander make me think "ok, where can I buy some shaving cream or razors?"

Tia - Each page is optimized for specific keyword clusters. They are all entry pages which is why you can tell they are "shoved to the back". I'm working on better navigation which hopefully will make that less obvious.

I absolutely love the idea of having a self regulated photo-board. The only issue with that.. is it looks crappy and it can be a little overwhelming. I'll start working on that though. Maybe if I use smaller groups of pictures it'll look more professional and be easier to navigate. :D

I'm surprised there are so many searches for the term beards. I imagine anyone wanting to know about beards would not simply type beards into Google but something more specific like "How do i trim my beard" or "Is a beard cool"?.

You're competition will be beards.org which appears to have an established site all about the wonderful world of beards.

You're absolutely correct. They are a "non-profit" and currently reaching about 60k users per month. Those numbers drop off during the warmer months but it's still very impressive. I've been slowly targeting their money keywords. :yes:

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I might be a little late to the party but I have some thoughts as well. The site looks great and looks nice and clean. The issue I see here, and it has been mentioned before, get to the info right away. People who come to your site are not there to admire how cool beards are, but how to grow one, why to grow on, how to trim and treat one, jokes and retorts when growing one and someone comments, famous beards, Coloring a beard, beards for the "patchy" challenge...get right into it. The image is so big, it looks like a fashion magazine. This should be an advice site. Your primary competition is Beards.org as the .com is a framing shop. Good luck and remember there are a lot of styling and maintenance/beauty products that can be sold via affiliate relationships on the site. You might be able to grab some of their content to fill it out.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I might be a little late to the party but I have some thoughts as well. The site looks great and looks nice and clean. The issue I see here, and it has been mentioned before, get to the info right away. People who come to your site are not there to admire how cool beards are, but how to grow one, why to grow on, how to trim and treat one, jokes and retorts when growing one and someone comments, famous beards, Coloring a beard, beards for the "patchy" challenge...get right into it. The image is so big, it looks like a fashion magazine. This should be an advice site. Your primary competition is Beards.org as the .com is a framing shop. Good luck and remember there are a lot of styling and maintenance/beauty products that can be sold via affiliate relationships on the site. You might be able to grab some of their content to fill it out.

I'm actually in the process of opening a specialty e-shop. Affiliate relationships are great but the real money is in import/sales. I've sourced a couple products already and let me say the margins are awesome..

The image is so big, it looks like a fashion magazine

That's actually the exact look I was going for but I do agree that the image is too big. I'm actually in the process of scaling down the images.

I really appreciate the review. Thank you for your time.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One thing that I would do if this is going to be an authority website is to find people (mentioned earlier) smiling with their beards and replace the cartoon sketch of the beard with an actual beard. This leaves nothing to the imagination and can also make a person say, “Yeah, that beard!” Having real people in the slider and cartoons for the styles clashes in my opinion. Speaking of the slider, I would also reduce its size to about half otherwise on first impression, all I see is a navigation bar and a picture—I’m too lazy to scroll down unless something immediately pops (or the later, there’s a background fade).

I like how you integrated a beard into the logo with the B, however, hair doesn't grow like that unless you got some crazy chops going on. I would have the logo "hairy" and in a slight chin shape at the bottom to appear as if it's a soul patch.

I would find 5 images for each beard style and rotate between images of different angles or people for that beard with a boarder that matches the theme to liven things up a little more, giving it a little eye candy for the ladies too (though, probably not your target audience—women do have an influence on how their guys facial hair should be—“Can you trim it like that one on Beards.net for me?”)

With that being said, since you plan on having that much traffic, ensure you have the right licenses for the stock photography or celebrity images so that you don’t get your beard sued off!

I would also have 3 areas of content for text instead of just “Blog” (which I would change to “Topics” or something else), one widget a full 100%, below that an advertisement followed by a 50/50 split. Some ideas could be “Reviews”, “Products”, etc. which are constantly updated (ensure that you follow the rules by the FTC if they are paid for if you want this legit). One column could also be “members” which rotates between members of your site of people showing off their proud beards or something, this would engage the audience to want to be a member—I would find a Facebook Connect or Twitter Login to make it easier to signup/login, but still moderate comments until X are made and approved (you have stiff competition from the .org, so I would watch out for trolls—as their website was founded in 1996 and probably has a large audience [their design looks like it’s from 1996 too, so you’re already up on them for that one]).

Also with the background, I would change to make the content pop out, possibly diagonal stripes, a dark fade from the top to lighter gray at the bottom or something.

How many comments do you have to moderate a day now by using “dofollow comments” in the footer? That’s not necessary to have. There aren’t many (if at all) webmasters that are going to stroll along your site, have a related site or product in this niche and possess the knowledge of what a dofollow link is then post a comment for their benefit. Just keep it dofollow and if their content is worthy of posting, post it. Say for instance that they reviewed a great trimmer to line up a specific beard giving that most people find difficult that gives you a lot of good keywords and such (manufacturer, model, etc.), but no links in their comment, just the link left on the comment they would see the reward after approval. Additionally, you could have a plugin that emails them on approval that their link was approved as “dofollow”, explain what that means and thank them for their post. This would get their immediate attention and then they may come back to give you more great stuff, keeping it fresh and alive.

The “About” should also be in the footer as it’s a description of what the site is about, unless you plan on constantly grooming every once in a while.

You should also log on the backend what question is asked so that you constantly have a question that could be answered adding to the Q&A. Possibly, one of the 3 text widgets could be “Latest Asked” and have a link to the latest question asked/relevant topic clicked on so the homepage is constantly changing and you’re also constantly adding content (or just completely random, nobody would know the difference unless they were a frequent visitor). Like I just typed in “how to grow a beard” and got an irrelevant answer back, “Is a Mustache Right For Me?”—I should get an article on how to grow a beard, tips on growing a beard or how a beard is grown (testosterone or something).

I think I’m getting too much into the concept of the site and how it should be run rather than the design, so I will stop here unless you would like additional ideas on what to implement in the future.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@ David

Great actionable feedback. I couldn't be more appreciative! I'll follow up via PM.

Aces

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna be straight-up honest... I think the site lacks creativity and allure, almost like it is a simple web template. I lost interest almost instantly. Are you trying to appeal to a serious or laid back type of audience? I was confused with the message of the site.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna be straight-up honest... I think the site lacks creativity and allure, almost like it is a simple web template. I lost interest almost instantly. Are you trying to appeal to a serious or laid back type of audience? I was confused with the message of the site.

I recommend reading "Getting Real" by 37Signals. Great book.

Thanks for your comments.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's better. It doesn't look like an e-commerce site anymore. I'm confused by 'A Guide To Life' slogan.

Something interesting is your 'Beards of History' section which I feel you can develop a bit more: http://beards.net/category/beards-of-history/ . There are so many intelligent, interesting men who sported beards in history. Not just beard stories (like you have with George Bernard Shaw) but who these men were behind those beards.

For instance:
Start off with an introduction about who the man was.
Introduce his beard and describe his style
Close with why you are honoring him and his beard

I think you will have a lot of interesting, fun content that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom