Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Pool.com's Bank Account

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Summit 2024

strongvis

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"In any case, you are focusing on the wrong thing. Without WLS, most of the profit in the expiring domain business will end up with the registrars."

so who do you want to make the money??

The dollar talks ... no matter what you do a domain name will always end up in the hands of the person willing to pay the most.

oh yea and for once (ITS SCARY) I agree with Yakov.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by strongvis
"In any case, you are focusing on the wrong thing. Without WLS, most of the profit in the expiring domain business will end up with the registrars."

so who do you want to make the money??

The dollar talks ... no matter what you do a domain name will always end up in the hands of the person willing to pay the most.

oh yea and for once (ITS SCARY) I agree with Yakov.

The money should be made by anyone willing to apply themselves. Not just the registrars who happen to have a franchise to register names. That includes me, and it includes most of the people at DNForum.

The question is not who ends up with the name. It is who makes the $ getting that name to the end user. Without WLS, most of that $ will be made by NW, Pool and their affiliated registrars.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by _Yakov_
The problem is not in the system, the problem is in your willingness and your ability to compete. Imo

It's not about anyone it's about the game.

Yakov, Your posts conflict with each other.

Y

_Yakov_

Originally posted by hiOsilver

Yakov, Your posts conflict with each other.

You have problems with understanding... I don't see anything conflicting.
The point is if you are willing and able to devote much of time and resources to compete you'll suceed under any system whether it's wsl or non-wsl.

yonimlm

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hiOsilver said:
The money should be made by anyone willing to apply themselves. Not just the registrars who happen to have a franchise to register names. That includes me, and it includes most of the people at DNForum.

The question is not who ends up with the name. It is who makes the $ getting that name to the end user. Without WLS, most of that $ will be made by NW, Pool and their affiliated registrars.

Yes, Pool and NW won't be making most of the money off this.
However, what seems to be the problem is that money previously used by BuyDomains and UltimateSearch to bid at NW and Pool themselves will now be used to buy these snaps. If you think how much extra money you would have using WLS, think how much they would too. The more snaps you buy, the more snaps they will buy.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that yes, unless you submit your preordered WLS snaps at the same time they do, your chances of getting a decent domain which is most likely to be expiring in the next year is closer to 0%. I think this will open a totally new area of the DN business whereas it will all be speculation on which active domains will end up dropping in the next few years because all worthy ones that WILL be dropping for sure, are 100% to be all snapped. This will perhaps open up new software which tracks what domains have become inactive and not update etc. that are likely not taken care of by owner and are to be dropped.

Again, the stronger will survive... sadly most likely UltimateSearch and BuyDomains.

M

mole

It's getting extremely expensive to try to win auctions for good names. You should see the kind of max proxies people put on names - effectively you don't have a chance unless you have bags of money.

Between the devil and the deep blue sea, the deep blue sea is starting to look very tempting.

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Funny that Pool supposedly has all this money, yet I just recieved an affiliate check back that bounced all the way back from the bank.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domainut said:
Funny that Pool supposedly has all this money, yet I just recieved an affiliate check back that bounced all the way back from the bank.
Really? Brutal.

Is it possible pool,com's staff are just a couple of the old afternic shillers, who managed to create a great catching system, that are pumping up bids? You have to admit, the prices being paid are mind boggling. I've always wondered who these buyers are, and why they never come here and pay those prices for names that were snaped by SN/NW.

yonimlm

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
It's getting extremely expensive to try to win auctions for good names. You should see the kind of max proxies people put on names - effectively you don't have a chance unless you have bags of money.

Between the devil and the deep blue sea, the deep blue sea is starting to look very tempting.

Yes, I must agree with you. The deep blue sea does seem more tempting when you are unable to snap 99.99% of the domains dropping.

And although it doesn't seem tho from my post, I do support WLS. Mainly because people will have to adapt to this chance and I know I'll adapt fast and make the most of it. :-D

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hiOsilver said:
"will buy wls's for all the good names"

Hmm. So, is sex.com a good one? Let's look at sex.com:

Domain Name: SEX.COM
Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
Creation Date: 18-oct-1995
Expiration Date: 17-oct-2010

Would you pay for a WLS on this one? Perhaps you would. Do you think that BD is stupid enough to pay for a WLs on sex.com? I don't think so.

I picked an extreme example, but the reasoning applies equaly to each and every WLS:

Value of WLS on Name.com = function (N, P, E)

where N = value of Name.com
P = probability that the name will drop at the time of expiration
E = time until expiration.

In the case of sex.com, time until expiration is large and P = .0000000001. Even if the name is worth $20M, the WLS on it is nearly worthless.

Figuring which names to WLS and when will become the game. And, it is not a simple game. And, YOU CAN BE JUST AS GOOD AT IT AS BD OR ULT!!!!!!!!

In any case, without WLS, the direction that things are headed will transfer most of the profit from expiring domains to the registrars, especially those affiliated with NW, Pool, etc.

Sorry for being so late (fashionably?) to the party (Did this thread really begin on 7/16/03?) but both sex.com and sex.net have been backordered at NRR!?! :laugh:

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would like to have the WLS on sex.com even if it never drops!
It's cool to say you own the wls for sex.com and you can always dream! :)

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
dvdrip said:
I would like to have the WLS on sex.com even if it never drops!
It's cool to say you own the wls for sex.com and you can always dream! :)

Have to agree with you there. $39. a year is not a bad deal to secure the bragging rights!

M

mole

What is currently so scary about the auction system is you never know who is bidding against you and it could be a shill player who somehow knows your max bid and is just playing you up and up so you end up paying far more.

I'm not saying this is happening. But the doubt always lingers with non-transparent systems.

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hiOsilver said:

Completely agreed.

As it is now, we spend too much time in front of these computers only to find that BD and Ult have hundreds of underpaid employees scouring for these domains up to 6 months in advance. Either way, you lose.

The key is to be more diligent than even they are and to create new, crafty ways to spot domains. This is not easy to do, but some of us do it --even if we don't get enough sleep or spend enough time with our families as it is! hah

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mole said:
What is currently so scary about the auction system is you never know who is bidding against you and it could be a shill player who somehow knows your max bid and is just playing you up and up so you end up paying far more.

I'm not saying this is happening. But the doubt always lingers with non-transparent systems.

I would bet money that this is the case. There is no other explanation for spending $1,800 for a name without traffic like tehee.com (made up, but you get the point).

I can understand the dictionary names going for this much as it is a game of hoarding everything and charging crazy prices later. So, when a decent-to-good dictionary name goes for $1,000-$8,000; that doesn't surprise me. Those bids are probably real --especially when elequa tends to be the buyer on those.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
BD and Ult have hundreds of underpaid employees scouring for these domains up to 6 months in advance.

I believe BD has 5-10 employees.

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Steen said:
I believe BD has 5-10 employees.

Yeah... they're Silverbacks, and they just push buttons all day until they find domains. :-D

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For the price of a couple of average names auctioned at pool you could become a registrar yourself. You would have your own connection to the registry, and assuming you had some competitive software you would have a fair chance at getting some decent drops. (But you still would have trouble selling them for anything like the irrationally high bids at pool.)

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Chatcher, that would have been a good idea one to two years ago. But, that is not
the case today. You are still not going to beat Snap, NW or Pool.

Plus, if WLS happens. Then, your registrar investment just went out the window.

I believe Elequa has a registrar connection. But, you don't hear about him catching
anything with it. You only hear about Elequa buying at Pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom