Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Pool.com's Bank Account

Status
Not open for further replies.

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
Chatcher, that would have been a good idea one to two years ago. But, that is not
the case today. You are still not going to beat Snap, NW or Pool.

Plus, if WLS happens. Then, your registrar investment just went out the window.

I believe Elequa has a registrar connection. But, you don't hear about him catching
anything with it. You only hear about Elequa buying at Pool.

I'm not recommending it, frankly I think it's a bad idea. The only worse idea I can think of is being high bidder on an auction at pool! But you could easily have an equal footing with any one single registrar. Pool will get a greater percentage of the dropped names, because they use more than one registrar. But every now and then you would win. It's strictly a numbers game, but there is no magic involved. You would need to be smart about it, if you try for 50 names at once your chances of getting any one of the 50 would be reduced by 50 times. That's why Snapnames performs so poorly for hotly contested names - they have to go after too many each day.

Domain Summit 2024
M

mole

actnow said:
Chatcher, that would have been a good idea one to two years ago. But, that is not
the case today. You are still not going to beat Snap, NW or Pool.

I agree. Pool.com has become so good today that both Snaps and NW have been effectively marginalized when it comes to the best names. They do grab a couple of good ones occasionally, but its the exception rather than the rule.

And when the good names hit the auction block, it can be scary. Even BD must be having cold sweats when Pool gets a name. I'm sure they do have budgets per name too. Otherwise, that guy from BD doing the ridiculous bidding will probably be asked to leave. :goofy:

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, how many registrar creds does eNom have? --And club drop still gets a hard time. Granted using your connection to snap maybe ONE name might be a way to go, but unless you hire someone with extensive drop scripting expertise, I think you'd still be up a creek. Less expensive and more effective to just keep going to Pool.
mole said:
I'm sure they do have budgets per name too. Otherwise, that guy from BD doing the ridiculous bidding will probably be asked to leave. :goofy:
Heh, heh. Yeah, I'd like to be a fly on the wall for those last minute "over-the-limit" authorizations in those "special" cases.
"Mike, I'm positive this guy's going to bail! Let me hit 'em with another grand!"

~ Nexus :p

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's strictly a numbers game

Not true.

Depends how hard your allowed to hit your registrar(s) and how good the programming is.

(I think).

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Steen said:
Not true.

Depends how hard your allowed to hit your registrar(s) and how good the programming is.

(I think).

Now limited to 256k bandwidth per registrar and no more than 1 request per name per second, I believe.

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Steen said:
Not true.

(I think).

The scenario above only applies if you ARE the registrar. The registry limits, whatever they are and however they are enforced, are the same for every registrar. The programming required is trivial. It's the strategy behind the programming determines whether or not any particular registrar gets "their share" of dropped names. Diluting the available bandwidth among many domain names reduces the chances of being successful on any one.

Normally when registering a domain name, a registrar first sends a command to check availability, then sends a command to register. Any registrar using this normal protocol to chase dropping names is doomed, because in the time it takes to send two commands, assuming it is a desirable name, another registrar has already registered it.

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
chatcher said:
Normally when registering a domain name, a registrar first sends a command to check availability, then sends a command to register. Any registrar using this normal protocol to chase dropping names is doomed, because in the time it takes to send two commands, assuming it is a desirable name, another registrar has already registered it.

The stated rules are that repeated purchase commands on names not yet available will get you banned for 24 hours. Hence, you get NO names for that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom