Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Price of domains will Drop up to 40-50 percent in the Reseller market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I took on a couple hundred contracts, so I could see how managing it looked, was a test really. I was originally thinking about pushing it to thousands of contracts, but once I got my feet wet, I decided I didn't want to go through with it. Most of my clients barely seem to know how to operate an email account, let alone a sub domain, so tech support issues are a major nightmare. I expected some issues naturally, but not on such a large scale.
Seems like hosting rather than domain leasing.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I took on a couple hundred contracts, so I could see how managing it looked, was a test really. I was originally thinking about pushing it to thousands of contracts, but once I got my feet wet, I decided I didn't want to go through with it. Most of my clients barely seem to know how to operate an email account, let alone a sub domain, so tech support issues are a major nightmare. I expected some issues naturally, but not on such a large scale.

minus the tech issues, is this a viable avenue to generate income and realize profits?

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That is something I had also given consideration to but, as you say, royal pain in the arse being the admin for the email accounts.

I was running it with European city and town geos. We just had simple landing pages offering the service via the index page, didn't even advertise for the batch of contracts we received. Some were word of mouth I think. Schools, shops, a zoo, etc...

Never tried it with non geos.

minus the tech issues, is this a viable avenue to generate income and realize profits?

If you have the right domains, like geos for example, you could really setup a large scale operation I think. Obviously you would need some solid infrastructure in place before hand, and enough staff if needed. I haven't tried it with non geos, I think that would be way harder to do.

Seems like hosting rather than domain leasing.

I did that too for a half dozen domains. Paid way more than parking. But am clearling those up for some PPC / direct ad driven sites. It was all part of a test phase I tried out for a little while. In the end I learned I didn't want to deal with it.

I had all the domains anchored to a central hub website, where all the domains available for lease were listed, plus contact info, etc. The visitors hit the landing page, saw the available service ad, then clicked the link to the main site, and from there the order was processed.

Last edited:

oberheimer

Domain investor
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont have time to read all. But i would like to give you my opinion on things

First of all everyone has there own way of making money and you cant say this is good or bad. If they park and make good money on this fine by me, if they develop or do something else it's up to them. Sure developing is better in the long way but not everyone is good at this, they might be happy with 1 or a few premiuem domains that make good money on parking.

I have made good money buying cheap and selling for $$$$ now im more into developing but it's pricy as nameadvertising.com said i dont want to spend high x xxx on the site atm...
And not everyone can afford a generic .com that's why we see a higher price on the cctld
Im sure some people where just jumping on the train without know what to do with the domains, some dont even park it

How about finding the enduser. On my last end user sale the buyer contacted me. I would never have thought he was interested in my name so it's not allways obvious who the end user is.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was running it with European city and town geos. We just had simple landing pages offering the service via the index page, didn't even advertise for the batch of contracts we received. Some were word of mouth I think. Schools, shops, a zoo, etc...

Never tried it with non geos.

If you have the right domains, like geos for example, you could really setup a large scale operation I think. Obviously you would need some solid infrastructure in place before hand, and enough staff if needed. I haven't tried it with non geos, I think that would be way harder to do.

I did that too for a half dozen domains. Paid way more than parking. But am clearling those up for some PPC / direct ad driven sites. It was all part of a test phase I tried out for a little while. In the end I learned I didn't want to deal with it.

I had all the domains anchored to a central hub website, where all the domains available for lease were listed, plus contact info, etc. The visitors hit the landing page, saw the available service ad, then clicked the link to the main site, and from there the order was processed.
Sounds like you put some thought and work into it.

I have had inquiries on some name in the past, surprisingly not geos.

One strong potential is common surnames. People offered decent money to use their surname as an email when the did not want to pay for the domain.

(name)@smith.net

I had not clue (then) how to do it. There was someone else, perhaps 4 years ago, on this forum who was promoting names in this fashion and supposedly was doing pretty good.

In essence, he was leasing "space" on the name as a unique email address.

carledgar

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For people who only paid to register domains, and maintain them
@ circa $8-$11 per annum - a 50% decline in reseller prices isn't
necessarily a deal breaker - since the amount invested is so low to
start with. A 10K name selling for 5K still renews all my names (350-odd) for the year and gives me a one-week vacation.

Another side of the coin for us Canadians is that the US$/CAD exchange rate varies radically with US$ sometimes yielding a 25% premium yet - as of today - yielding less than 10% - so a big sale at the wrong time either yields substantially less than the long term average US$/CAD exchange rate or has to be held in US funds until (and if) the exchange rate moves favourably.

A decline in prices mainly hurts the real pros (at a guess) who purchase domains in the aftermarket and thus have hugely greater portfolio costs than domainers who register names de novo.

Carl

damitssam

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No one is stoking anyone's balls Biggie. I can relate to what Doc said more than others. Mike has built a contentious relationship with some in the forum. But, he adds a lot of insight many never had the balls to speak about before. And I admire him for that.

I have 95% of my names on parked pages. Who cares about revenue? I don't. I check the stats. It allows me to focus on my research as to why certain visitors come to a certain domain come from a certain geo location. This helps me build my sales presentation to the end user. This is my mode of operation and making money from it. Does it work for me? Yes, it does! So I am constantly refining it to make better sales. In spite of my personal issues, I manage to crack $50-$100k in annual sales. If I choose another method, it may be a whole another ball game which I choose not to play at this moment. There is a learning curve for everything and only so much time.

Today, I learned something from tldrental from an example he gave me, I would not have normally read anywhere.

We use different arguments to learn from, and not bash each other.

That's how I look at it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo

[Thus, in Alaska, Eskimo is in common usage, and is the preferred term when speaking collectively of all Inupiat and Yupik people, or of all Inuit and Yupik people of the world.[4]]

Nostra, If you are offended - My apologies. If you read the 'Nomenclature,' - there is no substantiated abuse of the word in the United States.

However, I apologize if I offended you or anyone by its use.

You manage to do 50k in sales, and I can pull around the same sitting on my ass and checking in 5 minutes a day my parking income nad domain offers, while I travel the world and be lazy.

Parking is useless? Thats the most absurd thing I have heard in my life. I'll take my money doing nothing thank you and enjoy life, while everyone else is *****ing how domainers are useless.

Yes, we are useless, no shit, doesn't take a genius to see we don't offer real value to an internet user with our parked pages. I don't care, I make money and that's the bottom line.

From a guy who mostly regges and sells. CHA CHING! Parking income has decreased? Yes, absolutely, but I still make $$$$ doing nothing. How good is that for a 20 year old? I'll take it any day working a 9-5 job.

Last edited:

nameadvertising.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow! Whoever said, "Parking or YOU to be useless." - Not me!

And what's the point in quoting the Eskimo reference?

Makes no sense at all.

damitssam

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No clue how that quoted that. I hit reply and quote and the page froze up, technical glitch i guess, but isnt that what you are saying. Reading the posts, it seems like parking is for "clueless domainers".

"Who cares about revenue? I don't."

You should! Or you can paypal me your parking revenue. Many thanks in advance

nameadvertising.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I said what I said in context to my domaining business. I'd be blind to speak of anyone's parking income strategy. How would I know?

I barely make $100 per month in parking. But, I do make between $50k-$100k in sales to end users. If someones parking portfolio makes them 'lazy', all success to them. They are in the minority. When I said, "who cares.....," - I was referring to my tiny parking revenues, which made me (regretfully later than sooner) target my business to sales as opposed to ppc.

All I am alluding to is, do what works for you. I use parking for a specific purpose. I own more than a few thousand names. I can't develop them all. I'd love to make a killing via parking revenues. I don't. I have no control over that. No black hat, no arbitrage for me. That's thievery by design. That's just the way it is. And I know the reason why I am not making a killing via parking. And I am not about to share this with anyone. That's all that matters. Long as one knows.

Domaining in the dark is for the herd, who are always seeking expertise outside of their cerebrum. Keep reading those blogs from those so called experts and find out how exactly their messages added to your bottom line?

Cheers!

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I said what I said in context to my domaining business. I'd be blind to speak of anyone's parking income strategy. How would I know?

I barely make $100 per month in parking. But, I do make between $50k-$100k in sales to end users. If someones parking portfolio makes them 'lazy', all success to them. They are in the minority. When I said, "who cares.....," - I was referring to my tiny parking revenues, which made me (regretfully later than sooner) target my business to sales as opposed to ppc.

All I am alluding to is, do what works for you. I use parking for a specific purpose. I own more than a few thousand names. I can't develop them all. I'd love to make a killing via parking revenues. I don't. I have no control over that. No black hat, no arbitrage for me. That's thievery by design. That's just the way it is. And I know the reason why I am not making a killing via parking. And I am not about to share this with anyone. That's all that matters. Long as one knows.

Domaining in the dark is for the herd, who are always seeking expertise outside of their cerebrum. Keep reading those blogs from those so called experts and find out how exactly their messages added to your bottom line?

Cheers!

LOL! http://www.dnforum.com/f26/beware-c...te-he-will-get-you-like-me-thread-386104.html

DomainShane

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After reading this entire section I realize what I love about these boards. All the opinion. Doc and his "you are all stupid" was the best. All I can picture is him with his sunglasses on, sitting in his Porsche in the driveway in his mansion. Of course he is on his fourth wife, has a giant gut, drinks too much and suffers from depression. Not saying he is just picturing this as I read his rant.

Now my two cents. If there was no speculation in the world all homes would be worth the value of construction and material. All cars would be the sum of its parts. Fortunately perceived value is important and as long as people think there is value in dot coms then I will continue to buy and sell. It is my job to buy from those who think it doesn't have value and to sell to those that think it does. Plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators