Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Raven.com - stolen name - was sold on Sedo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What if she were made aware of the real market value of the domain, which is - in my professional opinion - at least $250k ?

People are generally free to make whatever deals they want. If the facts are as represented to me, then the only out would be fraudulent inducement - i.e. a material misrepresentation relied upon to induce the agreement.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
In other words, if the buyer told the lady the domain is worth $50k that would be a material misrepresentation?

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In other words, if the buyer told the lady the domain is worth $50k that would be a material misrepresentation?

IMHO most likely not. Every commercial transaction is premised upon each party believing it is getting a marginally better value.

There is nothing illegal about getting the better end of a bargain.

Arguments seeking to avoid a contract on the basis of "it wasn't a good deal" are the absolute least-favored bottom-of-the-barrel kinds of claims. Courts would be clogged with seller's remorse and buyer's remorse cases.

If you find a long lost Vermeer among the paint-by-numbers canvases at somebody's garage sale, and you buy it for fifty cents, it's yours. Now, that's not exactly what we suspect here, but a claim that even smells like "I didn't get a good deal" when I was in a position to negotiate my terms, is not going to generally be a good ground for a court to re-open a concluded negotiation.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The original owner did not have control of the domain when the offer to settle was presented to her, this obviously played a huge role, it was take what you can get.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The original owner did not have control of the domain when the offer to settle was presented to her, this obviously played a huge role, it was take what you can get.

Exactly! She was aware of it being stolen and having belonged to her late husband it represented an emotional bond to his memory.

Jimpapa

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
anybody thought the possibility that this is an inside job ?? who can prove me that sedo itself is not in this scam ? ? i dont know this hole case stinks...

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
who can prove me that sedo itself is not in this scam ?

Unfortunately no one has to prove anything to any third party not involved in
this issue. If anything, you can factor this into your decision whether to do
business with Sedo or any provider.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Raven.com is a nice name but not 250k worth of nice...I think it might bring 100k on a good day...50k-75k or so seems right for it..let's not get carried away

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to give the thief/seller a free appraisal....

When he saw that John B. was going to UDRP the domain, he figured he could try to buy the original owner out, smart move, but it doesn't get the authorities off his back....anybody know someone in the FBI?

june

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hope the tech guy who stepped in to help the owner's widow will help her press charges. This domain is about to change hands again. I suggest we all report the name via GoDaddy's system linking the GD support to the Domainstate thread.

Don't even bother to address GoDaddy...Don't you realize the first three letters of their name spells "God". That should suffice and say it all. I had several top level very valuable domains stolen from my account through the usual hijacking pattern, and even though I house 1000+ domains with GD, they offered me nothing but form letters and BS for the first several months, of course claiming their innocence in all of this. Shame on Mr. Parsons. Perhaps he's too busy finding the next blonde bombshell for his PR campaign...or too busy doing her!

The only thing we can do is to BAN TOGETHER and take a large advertisement in the N.Y.Times warning everyone not to buy domains, for there is simply no legal recourse when (not if) they're stolen, and the registrars will simply laugh all the way to the bank, while you cry all the way to the bank to pay your lawyers. Putting enough word out to the public will have a spiraling negative effect on the registrars as less domains get registered, and they will begin to lose revenue. Perhaps then, they will have to start self regulating and protecting their consumers. Haven't you noticed that one of GD's subsidiary companies is called "Wild West Domains"? That should say it all! "Night-night cowboy"; "Night-night outlaw".

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had several top level very valuable domains stolen from my account

Wow. What were they?

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately cannot say at this time.

You expressed you have little hope of getting them back, so why not disclose them?... If you PM the domains to J. Berryhill, you can be assured it wont get out.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You expressed you have little hope of getting them back, so why not disclose them?

For several months, no less.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The only thing we can do is to BAN TOGETHER and take a large advertisement in the N.Y.Times warning everyone not to buy domains, for there is simply no legal recourse when (not if) they're stolen, and the registrars will simply laugh all the way to the bank, while you cry all the way to the bank to pay your lawyers. Putting enough word out to the public will have a spiraling negative effect on the registrars as less domains get registered, and they will begin to lose revenue.

This is the absolute dumbest thing I have read on any forum ever I think...I think you need to really re-examine this statment! :rolleyes:

yeah..umm..uhh don't buy any domains..hoorah :confused:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any progress on raven.com ?

june

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is the absolute dumbest thing I have read on any forum ever I think...I think you need to really re-examine this statment! :rolleyes:

yeah..umm..uhh don't buy any domains..hoorah :confused:

Don't misconstrue the intent here...and there's no need to be insulting, either. I've already been through enough heartache. The intent is to put PRESSURE on the Registrars, letting them know that legitimate domainers, and consumers, will surely get fed up if the issue of hijacking is NOT addressed. You know, you may be the next victim to have several top level domains stolen, and what would be your recourse? What would be your suggestion? "Taking an ad in the NY Times" was meant to be tongue in cheek...it was used as a sarcastic example of what low revenues would do to a registrar. Also, I cannot say at the present time which domains were stolen for obvious reasons. When the time is right, I will.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I did'nt insult you..it was a dumb suggestion..I can understand your situation and I do wish you the best of luck..seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom