Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

realnames going out of business?

Status
Not open for further replies.

recently listed at f'edcompany.com

"Rumor has it RealNames' contract with Microsoft, the only way its keywords work, expires today. Oh and... and their $30 million debt with microsoft comes due today too... Looks like bankruptcy in the midst....."

Domain summit 2024

Great! Timechange brings up 1st timechange.com in every search engine, except the damned IE MSN page, via Realnames. Rot to hell ! :D

I read this on fc and it doesn't surprise me at all.

realnames could well end up like XTNS.net in not having an actual product/service to sell. Or maybe they will adopt the plugin model in a new.net stylie.

Originally posted by safesys

realnames could well end up like XTNS.net in not having an actual product/service to sell. Or maybe they will adopt the plugin model in a new.net stylie.

Well it would seem that Microsoft is in a pretty powerful position regarding alternative addressing system, after effectively shutting down xtns before it could even start, and now apparently giving realnames the flick (I think xtns was originally going to route their system through realnames).

I wonder if microsoft will try to to "disable" the new.net plugin in future browser releases? After all new.net seem to be trying to capture url errors with the new .search system, which previously would have been routed to microsoft pages. I'm sure microsoft aren't pleased.

Any views on this?

Yeah, the xtns idea was to have dotted keywords routed to them via the realnames resolver - this had loads of holes in it like you couldn't link to them using normal hrefs, or email etc too - but that was all swept under the carpet and became moot when ms decided not to route dotted keywords to realnames and to pass them to the msn error (read funnel) page. xtns were making some very funny misleading posts on the message board about this at the time, giving the impression they were working with ms - until ms and realnames explained the situation clearly in a few news articles.

whether ms think new.net is a threat to them is debatable. They could find themselves coming under more fire than its worth to do that. Besides, if nn ever gained critical mass - ms could acquire them and incorporate their domains into the browser for a new revenue stream.

Having control of address bar entries is extemely desirable, I'm surprised it took nn as long as it did to realise they could cash in on it.

Have you seen any releases yet from realnames about any of this snoop?

safesys, at the moment its just a FC rumor; realnames system seem to be still working at the moment.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Realnames' business practice is very very bad.

0.their pricing is extreme
1.they revoke keywords without reemburement.
2.it is not "global", unless you buy the keyword in all countries and thats gonna cost you $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ a year.
3. only works one one browser (if that).

Originally posted by Nic
Realnames' business practice is very very bad.

3. only works one one browser (if that).

and we only have 1 browser :D.. joke :laugh:

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yes, but when that browser.. drops realnames like a sack of potatoes, then realnames would have to change its name to nonames
lol

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
its so stupid having your whole business dependant on another co.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
worse yet, you can't speculate on realname key words :D

I believe realnames tried very hard to create an alternative layer, but at the prices they are charging in an attempt to pay the $30m debt to Microsoft, its a very difficult proposition to customers.

I suspect Microsoft will just swallow up realnames in lieu of the debt. No one can accuse Microsoft of monopolistic practices then, I guess.

Seems to fit with the behemoth's overall business objective to dominate the net.

mole, actually if I remember correctly microsoft already has a 20% stake in realnames so maybe they will try for more/ or the whole lot as you suggest.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:eek: yeah, maybe.

btw Snoopy, it sure is hard to get my points for the picture I want under my name. Is there a shortcut?

mole, people can also donate points to you (you could try begging in the lounge :D ) and you get more points for starting threads and voting (I think).

btw: what do you new.net guys think of my comments above regarding microsoft possibly trying to stifle new.net in the future? do you think that is likely/and technically possible?

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
New.net does what it has to do with Quick!. Microsoft can stifle anyone, AOL or otherwise.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
New.net... thats still alive???

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yup :razz:

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dear Keyword Customer,

Effective May 13, 2002, RealNames Corporation ceased normal business operations. As a Keyword customer you are aware that Keywords work in the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser. This was enabled due to an agreement between RealNames Corporation and Microsoft that Microsoft has chosen not to renew. Keywords will continue to resolve in Internet Explorer until June 28, 2002, at which time the service will no longer be available.

RealNames has ceased normal business operations and has commenced an orderly wind down of its business. This is an unfortunate, but necessary step, given Microsoft's decision. The growth in Keyword usage clearly demonstrates that Keywords are the next generation naming system. Nonetheless, without our key distributor, it does not make sense to keep the business active in its current form.

We want to extend our thanks to you, our Keyword customer for your interest in buying Keywords which benefited your customers by providing a natural language shortcut to your website. We've appreciated the opportunity to serve you and we apologize for the impact Microsoft's decision will have on your business.
Please read through the following FAQs for answers to other questions you may have regarding your Keyword account. We have also posted these on our website at www.realnames.com.

How long will existing Keywords remain active?
Active Keywords will continue to resolve in Microsoft Internet Explorer through June 28th, 2002 at 5:00 p.m. PDT.

What Services will remain active for Keyword owners?
RealNames will provide customers and resellers with the ability to modify their Keyword destination URL. No other services or support will be available.

Are Keywords still for sale?
No, new Keyword subscriptions were suspended at the end of business on May 10th.

Will RealNames provide a refund for Keyword Customers?
Keyword customers are considered creditors in the wind down process. RealNames will be sending written notification to all creditors, including Keyword
customers, with instructions for the submission of claims. If you wish to ensure that RealNames has a correct mailing address for you or if you have further questions regarding this procedure, please send an email to claims@realnames.com. A pro rata distribution will be made to claimants in due course.

Who do I contact with further questions?
All employees of RealNames have been terminated. There is a wind down team in place to close the company and affect a sale of assets. Keyword customer inquiries or comments should go to customerfeedback@realnames.com.

Best Regards,

RealNames Corporation

Please do not reply to this notification, as this email address is not set up to receive emails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators