Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Registers... sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register.com

Have you ever done a search on them and they show a domain name as available, you can actually go through the process of buying the name. When you do a search on a different register, it shows it as unavailable. Does anyone know why?

Registerfly.com

I thought they were great, low prices, fast service, etc. until I saw my credit card, they overcharged me $325 ! Never respond to emails, their service tickets etc..

Domain summit 2024

Marty

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seems like Register.com do domain checks that are not always real-time. They probably do checks against the zonefile. Most other registrars do checks against the registry in real-time.

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
Marty/yipbob,

I'm not an expert at this sort of thing, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong ;) , but I think it's the other way around. Register.com has the "real time" access to check domains, and RegisterFly is, I'm guessing, updated a few times a day.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by yipbop

Registerfly.com

I thought they were great, low prices, fast service, etc. until I saw my credit card, they overcharged me $325 ! Never respond to emails, their service tickets etc..

What do you expect? Pay peanuts, get monkeys. How do you think registerfly makes a living when they only get the price of a McDonald's cheese burger for every domain registered?

I only use eNOM direct nowadays. $29 bucks a year, but hey, someone has to make a living.

This whole cut-throat pricing practise is destroying the industry, and the credibility of the industry.

Register.com checks via RRP for sure. Reg a domain with another registrar (use one that uses instant rrp reges) and then immediately check it at register.com and it will show taken. The root zone doesn't update instantly and neither does the WHOIS so they must be using rrp.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know idregister.com uses RIP for .info domains. You register a name, and instantly, your details on the Afilias whois shows :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators