Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Registrar reseller going under

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domain

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If someone has a "reseller" account with a registrar such as enom or under another "enom reseller" and they go out of business, what happens to the customers and their domain names? Do they become direct customers of enom or the enom reseller? How about other registrars? Anyone know for sure?

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Good question - and depends on the main Registrar.
Resellers have to sign "agreements" but registrars also have legal issues to mind if a reseller goes under. Just think what the loss of 1,000s of domains would do to ANY registrars reputation!

With BulkRegistrar another reseller is assigned the domains, but it takes up to 2 months sometimes - and needs a lot of complaints from customers of the "old" reseller. It's not a daily accurance - but does happen.

StarGate - their API is so hard to install and requires Windows / NT servers, so not much reseller stay with them. I don't see any reference to this matter in their docs.

If I was really interested - I'd just email sales at each registrar. I'll see what eNom has to say about this today, unless someone knows already?

avs162

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
interesting

what if a register itself goes under wonder how many using anderson as account.

ever happen and are thier provisions??

sean

It's been talked about before.

Most registrars will be bought up long before they would "go under" as it were.

The domain properties that a registrar holds are valuable. If one is in financial trouble, they will simply sell these to another registrar. If they don't do so, the court will order them to liquidate their assets in order to pay their bills...

You'll end up at Verisign/NetworkSolutions :).

-t

avs162

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
interesting

so nsi versign has vested interest in putting other reg out of business. maybe a little severe but in essence true. So they fail and i get to go back to paying 35.00 nice.

says a lot for checking the finnancial health of your provider as well as the price.

any of the options upon insolvency sounds painful and costly

thanks for the response and sorry to jump into tread with ?

sean

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've worked directly with eNom from the start and, then, when prices improved, with an eNom reseller of substantial size and reputation. Just make sure you are dealing with a real corporation or LLC and not somebody's nephew. If they have a privacy policy and a terms of use that make sense, then you are likely to have found a reseller that has counsel and a real business.

:cool:

avs162

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
going under is one thing

worse would be chapter 11
a sale to a less competent company
or a general business downturn resulting in cost cutting

i think enom the lesser of the evils in a field that includes totalnic and others.

just my opinion

Domain

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Whois-Search
enom is highly unlikely to go under LOL

I agree. Enom is one of the better registrars out there. The customer service is great and the control panel is the best in the industry period. Enom is here to stay.

It is interesting to ponder what happens however if a registrar is bought out or goes under. I'm curious about how that affects the domain owners in regards to their price and so on.

Could you imagine NSI buying namebargain.com at a time when you have 100 names registered at NB prices (8.88)? I know you could always transfer.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Domain
If someone has a "reseller" account with a registrar such as enom or under another "enom reseller" and they go out of business, what happens to the customers and their domain names? Do they become direct customers of enom or the enom reseller? How about other registrars? Anyone know for sure?

If you know who the main registrar that the reseller is under, there is no problem whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom