Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Remarkable Action by NameJet & *Allegedly* Its Partner - Should I Sue, or How Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As for suing someone, my philosophy is to sue the entire human race and at some point you'll get the person you are looking for.

Domain Summit 2024

barefoot

Go barefoot!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As for suing someone, my philosophy is to sue the entire human race and at some point you'll get the person you are looking for.

Do you call that a "reverse class action suit"? :)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Bill, you are correct, all it'd take is to check the preordered box and hit the remove button. My question was related to the fact that Nova stated that until the last minute he was alone in the bidding, which means someone added/removed themselves the last minute. The halvarez method was similar, to add themselves the last minute in auctions that had one bid.

@ Acro, *all* expired domain auction platforms that I know of allow the user to place and delete backorders (that they placed in the first place) before a certain deadline. There's nothing odd about that; it's a common feature. If you are not familiar with this feature, speak to the support folks at the expired domain auction platform(s) that you use. I'm sure they'd be happy to explain how this feature works.

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Acro, at this point I think it safe to say that one can hardly depend on anything nova says as completely factual.
So quick to start screaming... still huffing and puffing even after he was told he'd get the name... had a $1pre-auth charge by NJ because he just signed up... but has "reams and reams" of screenshots? WTF, who does that?

Sweetman

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Acro,

Thank you for clarifying your question.

I am not going to comment on what Nova claims happened in regards to this particular domain since that is a private matter for him and NameJet to sort out.

In general, however, placing last minute bids and backorders is a common domainer strategy, and so a last minute bid or backorder is nothing to be suspicious of.

Of course, some people like to be suspicious of everything, but that's another topic.

Regards,

Bill

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@Doc Com & @barefoot: LOL

Well, certainly a rather sad ironic course happening in this thread since my last post, most ironically and most especially for the vast community of domainers and end users no less. In the distant past this might have been very puzzling and even fairly "shocking," though unfortunately it could not have been entirely unexpected based on abundant past experience and especially with one of the players involved already known to me (perhaps also another who may have also changed forum names - don't know?). No need (and no merit) to waste time replying to most of what's been said after my last post, as the facts speak for themselves, though this one statement in #43 should probably be addressed:

Nova stated that until the last minute he was alone in the bidding
Well, Nova of course certainly never stated anything like that. Nova is also as far from being new to dropcatching as any, so probably a good idea to give that line and what goes with it a rest.

As for various subsequent claims of fact and so forth, while I could certainly speak at length to address, respond, etc., I have no desire to do that further right now. What I've already stated does that already, really.

Just to update for any interested, although I have not yet received the email with the login credentials for the domain, which "can take up to 3 business days" anyway so I'm not exactly concerned about that either (from 2/15/2010 email), when I got to the myhosting.com login page through the domain management link in NameJet, I went ahead and did a password recovery click to see if a password could be sent to me yet. I did get a password and was able to login where the domain is present, but right now do not have a number of basic domain management capabilities activated and available, so I would say everything is "half way there" right now. Essentially I can't use the domain yet, etc. Just in a nutshell, cannot yet add years or renew domain; NS setting editing and deletion is not activated and available among the other DNS setting edit/delete buttons; cannot remove or manage the whois privacy and thus publicly showing whois contacts in general. If there's anything else, I haven't noticed yet, though those seemed primary now.

Based on the drop down lists in the customer care section, I've simply put in two support requests, one requesting the domain auth code (not shown in this account) and activation of NS editing/deletion, and the other asking for instructions as to how I can add years to the domain. For the time being I have decided to keep the whois privacy in place, otherwise I would have also mentioned that to support, though perhaps will want to do that not long from now.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bill from Tucows here with a quick update for those of you who are still following this thread:

NameJet has been in dialogue with "Nova" and confirmed that he was, after all, the winning bidder for this domain name. There was a second backorder placed by another bidder, however it was that backorder (not Nova's backorder) that was deleted (by the bidder who had placed it in the first place).

Since Nova was the only person with who had actually placed and kept a backorder on the domain by the deadline, no auction was held and Nova will get the domain name.

So...

Did Nova turn out to be the winning bidder? Yes.

Was there an unfortunate miscommunication about the auction status of this particular domain name? Yes.

Was there an evil conspiracy? No.

Will Nova be getting the domain? Yes.

Enjoy your new domain name, Nova.

Cheers,

Bill

--

Bill Sweetman
General Manager, Domain Portfolio
Tucows

did you forget to apologise? yes

just read this thread from start to finish, did a tub of popcorn lol
tbh though seems like everyone was on nova's back, but just as well he took this course of action as it was like keystone cops at tucows and namejet and he would have lost a valuable name due a serious of cockups,
i'm referring to your earlier post Bill, reading that i think you should have probably apologised for that, especially as you're not just a domainer here, you're representing a company, and you were squarely wrong. ok not directly your fault, your colleagues were making the balls ups, but you get paid plenty to take a little flak, i guess
just my two pence :cool:

---------- Post added at 02:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 AM ----------

post 27 i think it was

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Appreciate your post, PRED.

I actually came back because it occurred to me that I also did not find any means of removing and setting registrar lock for the domain in the myhosting.com account. One thing that does give me cause for concern is that even though Tucows has always been the registrar for the domain, the actual "registration service" provider was changed after this whole matter here from Hover.com, where apparently the customer does have the freedom and means to modify all of the settings I have mentioned not having any access to in my last post, as well as also show one's own auth code in the account instead of having to write in for it - to myhosting.com, where one does not have this freedom or means to control it oneself, or at least most of it now. Here is the before the pre-release sale situation, i.e., before the switch to myhosting.com:

Registration Service Provider:
Hover, [email protected]
http://help.hover.com
However, at Hover.com, not only does the customer have the means and freedom as already mentioned, but they even provide tutorials with graphics on how to do these things, which can be found here:

http://help.hover.com/tutorials/hover/manual/927/

http://help.hover.com/tutorials/hover/manual/281/

Since it's essentially and has always been all under Tucows to begin with, I do wonder why the move to the less "free" and "flexible" registration management tool. I have to admit, the first time I saw in the email I received that it was going to be a "myhosting" type of location, I already became concerned about these kinds of possibilities - you could say that to me it was a bit of red flag. You see, just as I have already indicated that I'm as far from being new to dropcatching as any, you can be sure that I'm also as far from being new to the types of possibilities and concerns raised by this as any too. There are a number of incidents or "horror stories" from years past which I can also demonstrate which I never posted about in any forum, and I would wager many of us have similar stories to share about some of the most well known sites. Fortunately those matters were eventually resolved, but they weren't pretty, either. So, to tell you the truth, I would much prefer the domain to be managed through a site where I have the ability to control these settings or gain access at will automatically, which is the norm, instead of having to submit any written support requests for such fundamental domain management issues.

Sweetman

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@ Nova,

There is no need to be concerned by the fact this domain is now with myhosting.com.

Tucows has a network of approximately 10,000 domain name resellers, including Hover and myhosting.com. But only *one* of our resellers could be integrated with NameJet to *receive* the expired domains sold on NameJet. Integration requires a lot of work for Tucows, the reseller, and NameJet.

So... all of the Tucows expired domains that are sold via NameJet, no matter what reseller they originated from, are transferred to myhosting.com, which is one of our resellers. myhosting.com offers excellent customer service 24/7 by phone, live chat, and email, and is the reseller we chose to *receive* the expired Tucows domains sold via NameJet.

That's why your new domain is now with myhosting.com.

For help configuring your new domain name, please contact myhosting.com:

http://myhosting.com/help/

You and your new domain are in very good hands with the fine folks at myhosting.com.

Regards,

Bill

P.S. I should also note that I have received feedback from some domainers about how this integration could be improved, which I appreciate, and that is something that I will be taking into account the next time we make changes to our expired domain auction program.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have won a few domains that were with myhosting.com.
Just contact them through their support form to request the EPP code. They will cooperate. Never had any problems transferring out.

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
myhosting.com sucks. First domain I got on NJ that went there, took me almost 3 weeks to get it out because of the flaky emails I would get. They took their time responding. Once I got on the phone with them, it was a breeze. I know for a fact they send names here to make it as difficult as possible for you to get it out, change nameservers (which they profit from the default parking pages), renew it, etc. There is no doubt about that.

Now any time I get a domain that goes to MyHosting.com - I just call and have the name in my GD, Moniker within a few days ~ don't get off the phone til they have done EVERYTHING you requested and you have received all emails. Just get on the phone, save yourself from more frusteration and hassle.

Oh and btw... even after Pred's post, no apology? Damn....

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some long winded shit for a name with one or two backorders. Seriously, can you tell us the name that all this fuss is about? I want a good laugh.

DNbeam

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have read the whole thread with a great interest. I am really impressed by the way Nova has handled his case. He’s been cool, professional and polite. Unfortunately quite a few members were talking nonsense; probably they didn’t bother to understand what Nova was complaining about. It is possible that that there were some miscommunications between NameJet and their partners and hence Nova was victimised but at the end of the day Nova has been proven right. If people like Nova don’t protest, then domaining industry will remain shaddy.
I hope Nova will receive an apology letter from both Namejet and their partners.

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you've really read the entire thread and fully understand what really happened, a few things would be obvious to you by now:

1. The name is not likely as hugely valuable as nova claims, demonstrated by the fact that there was no other bidders but himself and himself2.
2. Due to the fact that somehow the two bidders involved were himself and himself2, he would have got the name anyway even if he had said nothing.
3. The title of this thread says a lot... "who should I sue...?". nova comes right out of the gate blowing fire from his nostrils and actually seems to get off on writing all his vitriolic rantings rather than actually work through the situation - even after he was made aware that he was indeed getting the name.

If I'm impressed with anyone, it is with Bill for actually taking the time to post anything here at all. He owes nobody an "apology" either as really he had nothing to do with it. But even after his efforts, some people just want to jump on the conspiracy bandwagon and vent it seems.

DNbeam

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I do understand your point but unfortunately, Acro, big boys with power, resources and in most cases monopoly they enjoy in the industry, only understand that kind of language; they don’t give your rights if you just beg for them.

When a thread starts with "Should I sue and how soon" do you seriously think that's a professional approach to what was a case of jumping to conclusions over some conspiracy to steal the domain away from the bidder?

[/url]

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

I think I have made my point earlier; hence no point in repeating it.
However one brief comment on the value of the domain name. It is not important/relevant here if the name was of a high or low value. Is it? If a talented fellow domainer wants to expose some big sharks and tries to show the dark side of the industry, we jump to conclusion and start making fun of the person who deserves our support. Please don’t take me wrong. Under no circumstances I am suggesting any conspiracy theory here. As said above, it’s entirely possible that there were some miscommunications and therefore Nova was victimised. Nevertheless, let the parties concerned come clean!!

If you've really read the entire thread and fully understand what really happened, a few things would be obvious to you by now:

1. The name is not likely as hugely valuable as nova claims, demonstrated by the fact that there was no other bidders but himself and himself2.
2. Due to the fact that somehow the two bidders involved were himself and himself2, he would have got the name anyway even if he had said nothing.
3. The title of this thread says a lot... "who should I sue...?". nova comes right out of the gate blowing fire from his nostrils and actually seems to get off on writing all his vitriolic rantings rather than actually work through the situation - even after he was made aware that he was indeed getting the name.

If I'm impressed with anyone, it is with Bill for actually taking the time to post anything here at all. He owes nobody an "apology" either as really he had nothing to do with it. But even after his efforts, some people just want to jump on the conspiracy bandwagon and vent it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom