Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

**Rick Schwartz shares his opine about dotMobi extension**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Right. Of course, all of us this forum and our other heavenly dotcom gurus have nothing but original content sites and no one is parking anything.

But boy oh boy, don't call us squatters. Because we're doing something with our domains.

The huge difference is when 99%+ of a tld is parked pages the tld dies. .com is not 99%+ parked pages, mobee is.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The huge difference is when 99%+ of a tld is parked pages the tld dies. .com is not 99%+ parked pages, mobee is.

moabee has been out like 18 months dude.. see you in 2016. :asleep:

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
2016...wow...can't think of any other investments that pay that fast...guess I should finally jump in...wouldn't want to sit around on my dead money when I could "mobi" get a return in 9+ years :)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How many .com do you think are parked? How many do you own and how many are not parked pages?

Do you think that 50% of .com registrations are parked?

Here are the total number of gTLD's regged.

date total gain(loss)

02/25/08 97,605,304 202,275
02/18/08 97,403,029 (16,752)
02/11/08 97,419,781 425,980
02/04/08 96,993,801 313,813
01/28/08 96,679,988 136,019
01/21/08 96,543,969 582,183

So that would mean that perhaps 47 million domains are parked.

If you want to go with a lower number, say 10% simply because it makes you feel better, then we are close to 9.7 million.

That is nearly 10 times the total amount of registered .mobi in the world.

Exactly what point are you trying to make here?

A point that there is x number of developed mobi to x number of .com?

Or that a vast number of .com are not developed. My gut feeling tells me the number of undeveloped .com may be in the 35% range on the low estimate and the .mobi is perhaps around 85%.

Now one is certainly a huge percentage vs a lower percentage (35% vs. 85%) but the other number is simply staggering (40,000,000 vs. 850,000).

To think that only 1% of .com domains are parked is the dumbest, most asinine, stupidest, idiotic comment I have ever read on any forum and totally expected from someone who has not been in the field very long.

RWAC

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Everyone in your world view must be an idiot, asinine blah blah blah. Second time I've come across your name here at DNF and still calling people and/or their posts, comments - dumb, stupid etc.

Says oodles about you.

Why not try to change your communication structure just a little? Perhaps you might get more respect?

Just a suggestion.

Yawns and wanders off to make a cup of tea.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
2016...wow...can't think of any other investments that pay that fast...guess I should finally jump in...wouldn't want to sit around on my dead money when I could "mobi" get a return in 9+ years :)

are you blind?
i said trade up along the way a few pages back...
yes, nobody from 1998 has any of their same domains from '98.

im seriously glad you take an interest in what i do with my money.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
are you blind?

agreed, i would have hated to have registered some gems back in '98 and still be sitting on them today!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Everyone in your world view must be an idiot, asinine blah blah blah. Second time I've come across your name here at DNF and still calling people and/or their posts, comments - dumb, stupid etc.

Says oodles about you.

Why not try to change your communication structure just a little? Perhaps you might get more respect?

Just a suggestion.

Yawns and wanders off to make a cup of tea.
I am not here for respect in a .mobi thread simply because no one comes into a mobi thread to grant respect but simply tear it down. I am not here to make friends with anyone.

I am a critic of the critics who offer no basis whatsoever other than opinions and offer no facts. I am here to answer questions or provide insight to what makes this extension viable market and marketing wise. But most don't want to take the time to learn as they suffer from a cranial rectal inversion...they have their head up their ***.

The original post was about someone's take on the reason he invested in mobi.

But oh no. We can't have that. We have opinions on the opinion of the opinions of the opinionator.

We have opinions here in this thread against this domain extension by someone whose one and only .mobi is a tank trying to tread water, an international prostitute, a tool for the GOP, a thumb sucking domainer wannabee, a "I can't think for myself so let me rob from one forum and bring to another" wannabee.

Changing my communication structure I am deemed as someone who must be writing a book. This demonstrates to me that most coming onto a .mobi thread, like yourself, do no want to learn anything.

As for the second time coming across my name, here's a suggestion.

Find the "ignore" button on your control panel and push it. That way the third time you come onto a thread that I am involved in whatever I have to say won't insult your intelligence of lack thereof.

Was that changing my communication structure enough?

Last edited:

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
are you blind?

Was referring to the post quoted, not your post a few pages back...have no interest in what you do with your money, have at it, less competition for the area's making me $ today.

The point is how long it took successful extensions to be profitable. Can only speak for myself on that issue obviously others were in before I was, but I was able to sell names the very next day when I bought them in 98. Now if you were able to land the handful of primes in .mobi that are getting all the interest you could sell them the next day, but there are very few in that category.

As far as trading up, that would require interest in the the .mobi's you want to liquidate.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The point is how long it took successful extensions to be profitable.

in whatever TLD, i bet its longer than 18 months.

Can only speak for myself on that issue obviously others were in before I was, but I was able to sell names the very next day when I bought them in 98. Now if you were able to land the handful of primes in .mobi that are getting all the interest you could sell them the next day, but there are very few in that category.

As far as trading up, that would require interest in the the .mobi's you want to liquidate.

ive sold a mobee or 2. :yes:

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
We all know Rick has a huge interest in what he's discussing, So try not to give it too much weight... It's almost like listening to a timeshare salesman selling you on a timeshare.

I am here to answer questions or provide insight to what makes this extension viable market and marketing wise.

I've asked many questions about the TLD and they usually go unanswered.... So much for providing insight.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've asked many questions about the TLD and they usually go unanswered.... So much for providing insight.

welcome to new TLD speculation.. where all the answers arnt handed to you in neat little packages.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Every question has been answered at one point or another, usually in every mobi thread.

I have not got the time or the energy to keep answering the same thing over and over and over. It is the same questions being asked over and over and over.

There is only one being that can make the blind see and it ain't Rick or me.

And some might even say, "Why would I want to see? I am perfectly happy the way I am.", which is a good option.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
welcome to new TLD speculation.. where all the answers arnt handed to you in neat little packages.

So this Forum is not the place where I can find answers about a new TLD?

:confused:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's amazing how a guy who is known for pushing .com and telling everyone how successful these will be if parked...
see any similarities in your original statement and some one else noted for his vision?

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Every question has been answered at one point or another, usually in every mobi thread.

I dont want to read 20+ pages of bashing only to read a few posts of substance... Save me the trouble.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So this Forum is not the place where I can find answers about a new TLD?

:confused:

answers: probably.

all the answers and exact answers as most people demand: no.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://www.dnforum.com/search.php?searchid=3457531

500 threads, pick any one and start there.

You will see the same members over and over, pro and con, the lemmings and the mighty .commies.

You will see the same questions asked over and over, the same responses. When I made attempts to educate, it was called me "writing a book".

Why play these games of "I want to learn, I want to learn" when the motive is "I want to tear down, I want to tear down."

This whole matter is totally transparent as is most of the members on this forum and thread.

From now on I will try to dummy down and shorten my responses for the intellectually challenged.

I dont want to read 20+ pages of bashing only to read a few posts of substance... Save me the trouble.
No kidding? 20 pages of bashing to find substance? Sounds like a typical mobi thread to me. Can't just talk and discuss .mobi.

Bunch of damn piranhas just swimming around waiting for a .mobi post so they can jump on it and rip it to shreds.

Me, I going to be too busy making sites. But never too busy to feed the fish.

Enjoy this:

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc, tell me one thing, why do you always make it a point to write about how busy you are with your multiple jobs and website development projects, then write 3 1000 word posts in the span of 15 minutes?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc, tell me one thing, why do you always make it a point to write about how busy you are with your multiple jobs and website development projects, then write 3 1000 word posts in the span of 15 minutes?
Because you are so easy to take down.

I type fast, I don't need to look stuff up as the research has been done in the past, and I can multi-task.

I have the capacity to retain what I have learned, studied, and researched. I am not a tech head or a geek but I love research and stats. I have worked in medical research for years. In my specialty I must keep up with changing conditions, trends, and technology.

So why would domaining be any different? Yes, much is a gut feeling. But I am able to take my advertising and illustration background (the arts) along with my research and medical profession (the sciences) and apply all of that to domaining. It is fun as hell.

I may have about 5 or more browser windows open and can go back and forth, and not miss a beat.

This whole fiasco of .mobi bashing and thrashing has become a great distraction and sport for me. If it wasn't for these threads I might get bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators