Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Rule against posting dropping names *before* drop time ?

Should a rule be established that forbids to post dropping names *before* drop time ?

• yes

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • no

Votes: 39 67.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beats
Question was if some of the things the "big players" do are legal, illegal or should be illegal. Who knows,maybe i got enough cash and time to sue one of the Registrars that give out their rrp to certain customers?Or maybe i should sue one of the big players? Maybe you? So then some stuff might become illegal? Hey,that's an idea.
I just read this beatz.

You'd posted this in another thread and its finally sunk in for me. You're dedicated to figuring out a way to argue *your* way into winning, whether it makes sense or not. Like I was saying, this "fair" stuff is really a pretense (even the voting). If someone else has an edge or is weakening yours, it MUST be illegal!

You DO realize that the "Big Players" you refer to in the above post (with relationships with registrars and their RRP connections) could easily apply to NameWinner and SnapNames (you cried foul at eNom's higher priced clubDrop because it was more than you wanted to pay). NW and SN just *happen* to share their "connections" with a larger clientelle at a different price point. That's hardly "fairer", its just a business decision. It's all the same process you know. NObody said "dropping" domains had to be fair.

I thought it was unfair way back when that I couldn't just *BUY* (or PAY to register) a domain name, but had to figure out all the technical mumbo jumbo about setting up nameservers and such. That's what stopped me in the beginning. Looking back, it was perfectly fair... just the way it was. Competition and time made that easier.

Anyway, that thread kind of cleared things up for me.

Good luck on your crusade.

~ Nexus

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK, I voted Yes. I'll cut-n-paste my post from elsewhere, but I'll also add that I don't think high bids in NW will drive the aftermarket prices up. Many of those bids are much higher than the market value of the names, and simply because the big players are trying to out-do each other:
---------- 8<-----------------------------------------------------
Firstly, before I start, I think it is very generous of anyone to post lists of expiring names, and I can appreciate the good intentions. Please don't think I am critising anyone.

However, I do not think this information is "free". I know that in the last few years I've spent a lot of time writing software to trawl the zonefiles, whois servers and lists that I pay money to subscribe to. I also spend at least a couple of hours a day doing the processing, keeping up with the latest trends, plus money I spend on various services.

I often plan my "attack" months in advance, and I find it frustrating to think that someone can see a post on the forum a day before the drop and outbid me. Some of you will argue that there is a chance someone will outbid me anyway, but the point is that particular person would not.

There is a lot of competition for dropping names these days. Competition is a good thing, but success shouldn't be handed out on a plate. Who really deserves to grab a dropping domain? The guy who can read a post, or the guy that spends the time to actually understand and process the data?

OK, I'm not a big player, but I know some of the guys here invest all their time and a lot of money in this business.

For a few days (several months ago) I was posting expired names from the exody list, until I realized what I was actually doing was disadvantaging the other exody members who pay $50/month for the lists. It's not fair on Dwayne, because why will people subscribe to his service if they can get the pick of his lists for free? The same goes for any service..

Posting "big" names like reporter.com isn't going to seriously effect anyone, because anyone with a chance knew about them months before the drop. List posting does disadvantage the people who target the medium names that sometimes go unnoticed, and it takes work to find those.

As for the poll results, there will always be more people who want to take the path of least resistance.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I started writing a reply ... but then .. that would just continue this "whine" ...

Shaun

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just to make you more happy Beatz, PlayList.com went on hold several days ago :)

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I voted "no", not because I agree that people should post dropping names, but because censorship like this is a bad idea.

You could argue with the same logic that it should be forbidden for anyone to mention in the public forum that Namewinner even exists.

The fact is, DNForum is just another resource for domain owners. What's the real difference if someone finds out about an expiring domain name on DNForum or by searching Exody lists? In most cases Yun Ye or Mrs Jello is going to outbid you anyway on Namewinner at the last minute. ;)

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If we all followed the "Yes" logic, nobody would be posting ANY information on this forum.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bad thing about publishing this list`s are this fake bid, if some idiot is making $2002 bid in namewinner, thats really shame, Maybe publishing them only for platium members would solve this problem, there are only 230 platium members?

Together

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And "stuff" is what type of member? hmmmm. Platinum. I see. So what stuff would like to see is the names posted to those small group of people who, like himself caved into the molesting of the former DNforum membership by paying $50/year to become part of a forum that was built on the backs of those who believed in a free forum for the domain name community.

I guess his vote would be NO don't ban the posting of these (because altruistically free enterprise is good) and YES (but only to select members because I am one and stand to benefit).

A blatant case of sitting on the fence for which he should be shot down by both sides of the vote.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Together
And "stuff" is what type of member? hmmmm. Platinum. I see. So what stuff would like to see is the names posted to those small group of people who,

Yes only Platium! I will not post them in public anymore,

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by stuff
Bad thing about publishing this list`s are this fake bid, if some idiot is making $2002 bid in namewinner, thats really shame, Maybe publishing them only for platium members would solve this problem, there are only 230 platium members?
Originally posted by beatz
As said, look at NW for the affect these postings have.
It's OBVIOUS.
NameWinner's responsibility, not anyone else's. They've been working on it too.

Post where you like stuff, its your choice.

~ Nexus

gariben

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I voted a big 'NO' to the poll.

Simply put, why do people like you and me use DNForum?

Simply to get information. Simply to get quality information.

Let me ask the question again. If you are selling a domain in DNForum auction, wouldn't you want to whole world to know that there a auction going on?

the forum is an open forum. people should be free to post WHATEVER they want; except for harmful or discriminating remarks.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nexus
I just read this beatz.

Dude,

you wanna may lookup when i wrote this plus what you are quoting is out of context.

We are all entitled to live and learn, i.e. change our views on subjects, even if sometimes it's only degreewise or partially.

So no idea what pulling up an old thread is supposed to prove;
also, i don't think the issue here is if, when or what i personally said months ot years ago - if you haven't realized yet, this is a POLL, nothing else and i have already explained my point of view in the very first post in this thread.

So, no - i'm not on any kind of "crusade"; geez why does stuff always have to become personal on this board anytime someone doesn't agree with someone else's opinion.

I mean, that's what a poll is for, right - vote, post your opinion but no need to get personal.

Geez.............:rolleyes:

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, I agree I'm digging too deep, so I'll "get off of it". My direct responses to your questions have been overlooked, so that's why I was inclined to "look closer" at exactly what this "debate" is about (it doesn't seem to be face value to me anymore, or else it would be coherent).

I honestly believe the majority of the people that *disagree* aren't bothering to read or respond to this (while the majority of the people who *agree* don't post on these types of forums). I've just been trying to clear things up.

I've failed miserably.

~ Nexus

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yea, because gregr, buydomains, ultsearch, and a lot of the others had no clue that billgates.com was dropping until it was posted here just before the drop. Get a clue. The big guys have snaps on names that wont drop for 6 months people. Posting dropping names here just before the drop may indeed raise prices on a few names. It surely hurts the big guys and helps the small guys by bringing there attention to it. WHoever is creating these lists should publish and sell the entire drop list a couple days i advance. All the work they would be savin a ton of people would be worth the price of the lists. In fact. DN forum should publish the list, make it free for platinum members and watch the membership skyrocket .

Together

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes. Publish them only to those who are suckers and pay $49/yr to become platinum members and not to us other suckers who only pay $14.99/year! You guys really don't have a clue do you?

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but if you can't figure out how to make back the $4 a month a platinum membership costs, you need to re-evaluate who the suckers are. :razz:

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Together
Yes. Publish them only to those who are suckers and pay $49/yr to become platinum members and not to us other suckers who only pay $14.99/year! You guys really don't have a clue do you?
It always comes back to that doesn't it?

~ Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom