Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

enom Sedo purchase - registrar transfer request from enom

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Enom.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inquisitive

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I had a domain for sale at sedo, offer was given, which I accepted. Sedo notified me escrow payment was received. Requested auth code
I just received the registrar transfer email from what appears to be enom, but the request has my name instead of buyer.

eNom, Inc. has received a request from <seller name> on XX Xxx XXXX to become the new registrar of record.

My concern here is that if buyer has requested to transfer the domain to the registrar used by him/her why is his/her name not being used?
I don't appreciate someone creating an account under my name (assuming its a new account) or impersonating me.

Do you see any red flags? Anything I should watch out for? or is this how you would do it as well? It has been close to a week since escrow payment was made at sedo.

Thanks

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if you don't approve the transfer within a certain time frame, then it will expire and you won't get paid

talk to your rep at sedo, if still unsure

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It doesn't mean the Sedo buyer opened an account in your name. Registrar transfers usually contain this error when the owner gets the auth email to click on (it reads as if the seller requested this transfer when it should be the buyer) I've had it several times, just ignore it in this case since you unlocked the domain for him and you gave him the auth code, and right after you did that you got that request, so it must be him. I'm not sure why some gaining registrars show the info the wrong way in their emails but it's common, if you want to be absolutely sure ask Sedo which registrar he's taking the domain to, if it's that one then it's him and you can move on

The problem I've had w/Sedo when I've bought there was not the buyer but the transfer agent (usually someone named Erik) opening like three accounts in a row in my name at the same registrar, w/o my permission, one for each domain I won in a row, and I had already told him by phone and in writing a few times I already had an account w/that registrar and not to do that, but he kept doing it which I found most annoying

McDot

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The transfer Process is always with the current handles. These are usually changed once the domain has arrived to the new registrar. I agree though, this is not a best practice procedure.

inquisitive

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback..

I did contact Sedo and alerted them to the issue, so they would be in the loop, once rep verified it was the registrar the buyer used, clicked on link and approved at loosing registrar control panel so it was practically an instant transfer, then as further verification of successful transfer provided rep a link to the .com registry showing it had transferred to new registrar, along with the success transfer email from loosing registrar. Being my first experience with Sedo I just wanted to avoid a delay in payment due to buyer not updating contact info right away (as I read here, it has occurred in the past to others)

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is an enom failure. The 'fails to update whois' bug has been there for YEARS, and I've filed many support tickets but they refuse to fix it.

Simply put, enom doesn't update the master whois database about 30% of the time. You can go back YEARS later without updates.

They've made many bullshit excuses - "oh, the zip code is wrong for the city name" and "it takes several days" but these are all lies. They have a bug, they refuse to fix it, so about 30% of your domain sales transactions become difficult because the buyer thinks you're keeping his domain name and his money. And, transfer requests go to the wrong address.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
This is an enom failure. The 'fails to update whois' bug has been there for YEARS, and I've filed many support tickets but they refuse to fix it.

Simply put, enom doesn't update the master whois database about 30% of the time. You can go back YEARS later without updates.

They've made many bullshit excuses - "oh, the zip code is wrong for the city name" and "it takes several days" but these are all lies. They have a bug, they refuse to fix it, so about 30% of your domain sales transactions become difficult because the buyer thinks you're keeping his domain name and his money. And, transfer requests go to the wrong address.

I ran across this bug a few times, but only with .biz/.info/.us domains.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They have had a problem with .us for as long as I can remember. It's not the only bug plaguing enom (unless they have improved lately :rolleyes:).
Buggy registrars should be avoided, because bugs are time bombs in code with the potential to jeopardize your portfolio.
Some registrars have lost domains because of failing scripts (renewals not being carried out).

Look at registerfly and now 123reg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom