Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Sedo unprofessional and crooked

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimba

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sedo just cancelled my winning domain auction.

Anyone else been a victim of this unscrupulous behaviour?

I won an LLL.com auction on Sedo last week for mid $000 sum. Plenty of action in the last hour of the auction with me and one other party bidding up at the last minute, extending the auction several times.

Paid the invoice via bank transfer.

I get an email 27 hours after the auction win time from Great Domains in the US telling me that apparently some of their auctions experienced technical errors that day and that my winning domain was one of them.

'The error occurred when two different buyers set the same amount as their proxy bid. This situation caused our system to “stick” and so it did not register any subsequent offers.'

Sedo are to 're-run all auctions that were affected by this error'.

WHAT??? COULD HARDLY BELIEVE WHAT I WAS READING
Again - a call to anyone else that might have experienced similar on a sedo auction around 7-8pm on 23rd August UK time.

It was obvious the bidding for this auction was going quite smoothly, by the way the bids moved. I find it incredibly hard to believe this auction 'stuck' going into its 4th extended period. I could feel the other party were going to hold off as the auction moved into its final stage, everything moved very naturally.

In any case, Sedo have provided no evidence of this last second 'break-down' nor acknowledged my inconvenience. Not to mention my lost bank transfer charges from UK to Germany.

Maybe Sedo and GreatDomains were disappointed about the relativley low sale price on this domain (though still in line with some recent sales of similar) and an 'incident' facilitating a re-run (next month after the UK holiday period!) is quite handy from their P&L perspective.

They have not even offered to refund my bank transfer fees!!

Nothing in their T&C's about being able to re-run auctions.

Do they have a case?

Register for the auction

missedcall

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
they just canseled an iphone name auction I won
they said that there is TM issue !
at the same time I bought 3 other iphone names this week and trasaction closed ok -and 4 others are ready to be completed!

go figure

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a Great domains issue. Hard to imagine Sedo canceling an auction and not getting the money. But, if they are joined at the hip....

I'd love to get paid for all the domains that I have sold through Sedo that have not been paid for this year.

jimba

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sedo acquired GreatDomains in June, I believe.

Wonderful example of poor 'post-merger integration' judging by the way we get an email first from Great Domains saying the auction was invalid and the next day one from Sedo in Germany saying 'thanks for initiating the payment'.

As well as that I am talking to someone else in Sedo who has no idea what is going on and keeps asking for details of the emails sent from his own organisation!!

It's a f&*$£g mess over there!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
An LLL.com for mid $000? Are you missing a zero at the end? It was a bogus auction apparently.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think he means mid xxxx.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
If you paid the invoice you have recourse to get the name. Good luck with the legal process.

jimba

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, mid $0000 sorry - $5.5k

If you paid the invoice you have recourse to get the name. Good luck with the legal process.

Well that's what I thought.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any update on this?...

Ron

DomainMagnate

Domain Magnate™
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to think it it's better to wait a couple days after winning an auction on sedo - before sending the money. If you don't get any notes from sedo saying the auction is cancelled, or the seller sold it somewhere else meanwhile, or it was stolen/TM, or just some random error - then send the payment. I think it should be ok since you have 10 days to pay anyway.

~MG

Dr Nump

Call me Doc !
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Btw , mid xxx or mid x,xxx ? :)

Poohnix

Lost @Space
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any specific issues with sedo, 100% of all transactions has been completed within 2 weeks or so, both sales and purchases.
The only thing I see is that when I'm a buyer and wire the funds, they take quite long time to acknowledge receipt of the money. While an escrow.com takes 2-3 days, sedo almost always exceed a week. But it's nothing major.

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They just need MORE competent people working for them...and 24/7 also!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom