Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Seeking Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to buy a domain from someone that expires in mid-September. It's a pretty good domain, and it doesn't seem like he wants it. My initial offer will be $1k. How should I go about making my offer? I have never done this! It is exciting, and I would like some of the experts here to give me some advice.

#1 - Should I call him on the phone, or email him first?

#2 - If I call him over the phone, what is the best way to ask him? Flat out, or should I introduce myself first?

#3 - How long should I wait... should I act now, or wait until a few days until it expires?

#4 - The domain registrar is Network Solutions. Can you "push" a domain using NetSol?

Thanks,
David
:)

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i would definetely recommend email rather phone for a first-contact. Phone calls make you look more interested and serious about buying, and during the bargaining process it is in your advantage to look as barely interested in possible.

i would definetely act now, rather than later. you have nothing to gain by waiting.

i don't believe you can "push" a Netsol domain into another account (tell me if I'm wrong guys), but I would just have him transfer the domain to eNom or somewhere where you can change the contact info once the domain is transferred.

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dragon! Your advice makes sense.

Do other people agree with him?

Also, if I make my initial offer by email, how anonymously should I do it? Should I do it from a hotmail account and not say anything, or should I do it from a regular email account and spill the beans about myself and why I want the domain?

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
This is just an alternative aproach.

I'd wait till mid September and see if it's renewed, then take it from there. If it's not renewed - use SnapNames to get it.

You can transfer NetSol domains to any other registrar - all the owner needs to do is to change the admin email to yours. Sorry but I never "pushed" a domain yet - still not an eNom reseller :)

Problem - NetSol might not release it.

IPatlas

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dmorel
Hi,

I am trying to buy a domain from someone that expires in mid-September. It's a pretty good domain, and it doesn't seem like he wants it. My initial offer will be $1k
:)

Sounds great! How do you know he doesn't want it? Is there a web site or a for sale page on it? What is the current owner doing (if anything) to sell it and/or has he listed it? If this is a high valued domain, do you think he doesn't know it, or is he riding it out for his own reasons? Do your homework.

If you are convinced he will let it expire, well, it then depends on how much you want it. Once it's off the holding queue, it's open season. Anyone can snap it (no endorsement).

The very best luck. I do hope you score it.

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Send an email asking for minimum acceptable price. Do not call as you will look very eager to buy. Also search for similar names which are going to expire soon and use this info to get the best deal. Best of luck.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ahh.. a budding pre-expiration name grabber morel:) Here's my contri

1. Set up a Geocities site and make it look really amateurish and cheap and say you need a URL for this site.

2. Use a geeky sounding Yahoo email account and provide an ICQ or MIM number to seem like you are a young geek with lots of dreams but no moolah.

3. Be very polite in your wordings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators