• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Seeking Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

morel

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
428
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I am trying to buy a domain from someone that expires in mid-September. It's a pretty good domain, and it doesn't seem like he wants it. My initial offer will be $1k. How should I go about making my offer? I have never done this! It is exciting, and I would like some of the experts here to give me some advice.

#1 - Should I call him on the phone, or email him first?

#2 - If I call him over the phone, what is the best way to ask him? Flat out, or should I introduce myself first?

#3 - How long should I wait... should I act now, or wait until a few days until it expires?

#4 - The domain registrar is Network Solutions. Can you "push" a domain using NetSol?

Thanks,
David
:)
 
i would definetely recommend email rather phone for a first-contact. Phone calls make you look more interested and serious about buying, and during the bargaining process it is in your advantage to look as barely interested in possible.

i would definetely act now, rather than later. you have nothing to gain by waiting.

i don't believe you can "push" a Netsol domain into another account (tell me if I'm wrong guys), but I would just have him transfer the domain to eNom or somewhere where you can change the contact info once the domain is transferred.
 
Thanks Dragon! Your advice makes sense.

Do other people agree with him?

Also, if I make my initial offer by email, how anonymously should I do it? Should I do it from a hotmail account and not say anything, or should I do it from a regular email account and spill the beans about myself and why I want the domain?
 
This is just an alternative aproach.

I'd wait till mid September and see if it's renewed, then take it from there. If it's not renewed - use SnapNames to get it.

You can transfer NetSol domains to any other registrar - all the owner needs to do is to change the admin email to yours. Sorry but I never "pushed" a domain yet - still not an eNom reseller :)

Problem - NetSol might not release it.
 
Originally posted by dmorel
Hi,

I am trying to buy a domain from someone that expires in mid-September. It's a pretty good domain, and it doesn't seem like he wants it. My initial offer will be $1k
:)

Sounds great! How do you know he doesn't want it? Is there a web site or a for sale page on it? What is the current owner doing (if anything) to sell it and/or has he listed it? If this is a high valued domain, do you think he doesn't know it, or is he riding it out for his own reasons? Do your homework.

If you are convinced he will let it expire, well, it then depends on how much you want it. Once it's off the holding queue, it's open season. Anyone can snap it (no endorsement).

The very best luck. I do hope you score it.
 
Send an email asking for minimum acceptable price. Do not call as you will look very eager to buy. Also search for similar names which are going to expire soon and use this info to get the best deal. Best of luck.
 
Ahh.. a budding pre-expiration name grabber morel:) Here's my contri

1. Set up a Geocities site and make it look really amateurish and cheap and say you need a URL for this site.

2. Use a geeky sounding Yahoo email account and provide an ICQ or MIM number to seem like you are a young geek with lots of dreams but no moolah.

3. Be very polite in your wordings.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom