Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

self-hosting troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I need some web hosting help, soo, here I am.

I have my own domain, maleko.net

What I need is to set up the DNS or whatever, so that when people go to maleko.net or www.maleko.net or whatever, that it points to my computer, because I'm hosting it myself. I don't know how to do this!

So, does anyone know how to get set up a self-run DNS server, or something similar...

Thanks

Domain summit 2024

Lats

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Have a look at the service provided here.

Lats...

Thanks. I was thinking of something more along the lines of running my own DNS server. Because, most DNS things like mydomain, point to a page that already exists. For example: it would point www.maleko.net to a pre-existing page like http://geocities.com/maleko.

What I want is for www.maleko.net to point to my current IP, or to the webserver on my computer.

THANKFULLY, I figured it out! :) And I figured I'd just post what I did here, in case anyone else needs help.

I downloaded a program called Simple DNS, which lets you configure your computer to run as its own DNS server. It was really easy. Just takes some time to sync up.

http://www.jhsoft.com

Allright. Thanks for your help lats!

Lats

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good stuff.

Isn't it dependent though if your ISP gives you the same IP?

I'm on DSL myself and get a different IP during the occasional reboot.

Just a thought.

Lats...

I don't think so...Maybe. I have DSL too, but I havent turned my computer off in 3 days soo, not sure.

Its been giving me trouble though. Itll work for some people accessing my site, and not others, and then itll switch who its working for, and its even stopped working when I try and access the page. Im reeeaalllly not sure what to do! I wish I understood Unix!

I might just get a Dynamic DNS provider thing like...mircotech.com to help?

My one friend said it takes a couple days to carry over?

Ahh! I dont know! If anyone knows anything else, let me (us!) know!

Thanks!

Lats

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, you could spend about 10 or so dollars a month and get yourself a real hosting account.

In the long run, you'll most likely be better off.

Lats...

wwww

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You need to get a DSL account with a static IP address (usually costs a few bucks more), if you set up a webserver on your PC (like Apache or whatever) everyone will be able access that webserver via that IP, even if you restart your computer sometimes. Then you just need to attach your domain to that IP address, which might be possible with the DNS service of mydomain.com, also directnic offers some service like this for $5 / year.

I hope I could give you some new information.... :D

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Windows XP Professional or Windows 2000 does the trick easy. But these things always complicate your computer security so you need to know how to configure your firewall as well.

Bottom line, way too much hassle. It used to make sense to DIY 3-4 years ago. Today, outsourced hosting is so cheap and simple its a sin not to outsource.

VoxKeysGtr

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lats
Well, you could spend about 10 or so dollars a month and get yourself a real hosting account.

In the long run, you'll most likely be better off.

Lats...

Much safer especially if it's any type of commercial site. Seems kind of a fun type of thing to do just for fun, and for the learning experience, but I'd rather outsource. As a matter of fact, I do.:D

Originally posted by Namethink

Webhosting gets cheaper all the time. These guys offer $5/month hosting:

http://www.your-site.com/

Miles

Lots of hosts offer hosting for $5 per month or less. Save yourself some hastles and find a good host for your site.

Your DSL line won't be able to handle the load if the site gets busy. Plus, you don't have to worry about someone hacking your personal computer, getting your MS Money or Quicken info, passwords, credit card numbers, deleting all your files, etc.

Take care,

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators