Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Selling High Value Domains - Part 9

ParkLogic

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
2e1ax_default_frontpage_20140203_businessmodel.jpg

At a recent webinar I had an interesting question asked of me, “Is it better to develop a domain prior to selling?” My immediate response was, that depends on the buyer. Although this is true I thought that it would be worthwhile unpacking this a little further.

I like to get back to business basics to more fully understand what developing a domain out actually does to valuations. In order to do this you need to fully consider the impact on both the P&L and the Balance sheet.

Let’s imagine that I think that that the domain I’m wanting to sell is worth $10,000. I then decide to build this domain into a business. At the beginning of the business the balance sheet has an asset in it that is worth $10,000 and the P&L hasn’t changed (ie. $0).

If after six months of work I manage to generate $50,000 in sales with a cost of $30,000 then the P&L has now changed to having a profit of $20,000. This is then effectively retained earnings as an asset in the balance sheet.

Now I want to sell the domain. Hang on a second, you’re actually not selling the domain, you’re now selling a business. If you can maintain the run-rate then you’ll generate $40,000 in profit by the end of the year. So typically you will sell the business on a multiple of profit which will also take into consideration the assets controlled by the company (eg. the domain name).

Read More

Continue reading...

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom