Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

short ccTLDs are the next buzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You know, I am going to ruin whatever little reputation that I have but I have never fully understood the three letter thing. As an example, there is a company that is unrelated to domaining that has a three letter domain. I want to contact them but always get the letters confused. From a memory standpoint, for me at least, it is just as easy to remember something like 'PeaceLoveAndHappiness.com' as it is to remember 'PLH.com'. Sure, the typing is shorter but I can think of nothing more important than memorability on the part of the customer with regard to a domain name. Frankly, I would rather have 'PeaceLoveAndHappiness.com' than 'PLH.LY' unless I was in Lybia; possibly. As a domainer, of course I'd rather own 'PLH.COM' but I honestly believe that I personally would remember that long assed name a lot quicker!

Last edited:

incka

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No one is saying PLH.LY is valuable - unless there is a big libyan company with those initials it aint.

People are saying single standard character .LY and other exentions are valuable. Thus most extensions which allow this length that is either 35 or 36 domains (depending if 0 is allowed). Only a small number allow this. I can name most: BB, CC, GG, GD, MD, KZ, KG, JE, AG, LC, NU, BZ, CR, LY, PL, VG, CN, PE, MK, TL, CX, LA

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No one is saying PLH.LY is valuable - unless there is a big libyan company with those initials it aint.

I didn't really mean to imply that was the idea and in fact didn't mean to actually impune the monetary value of these names. I guess that 'M.bz' is a good name but I doubt many end users outside of Belize would know what the heck it was. Certainly 3 letter .COMs are quite valuable these days. Supply and demand is everything. I am just saying that I believe that they are overrated in general and often not really that important for their end user buyers as they may think that that are. If it is really your company name, such as 'CNN.com', yes, but for most, vanity is nearly everything too. May they buy forever!

Last edited:

incka

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree on many 3 letter .coms. I've never invested in 3 letter domains instead going for generics, etc.

Incidentally the domain you mentioned, M.BZ, is owned by a friend of mine.

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Incidentally the domain you mentioned, M.BZ, is owned by a friend of mine.

I made that up but to be fair there are only 26 of them. As short as it is, I think that there would be a real puzzled look on many peoples faces if you told them that your website was M.BZ. With .BIZ out there, that was a really brilliant idea on ICANN's part (one of many, many, many,...) to issue .BZ or vis-a-vis as the case may be. Of course, now you can have .BZZ, .BEZ, .BIZZY, .BIZZYBIZ, .BIZZIEBEE, or, whatever thanks to this brilliant cadre!

Last edited:

JacksonProduction

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Short 1 character ccTLDs are a great investment.
Anyone here knows when ".jp" will allow 1/2 character domain name registrations?
I already have a short one character domain myself. I'm the co-owner of http://X.vu, which we are developing to be the next big url redirection service!

valeria

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What is the bottom price of one letter names now in any extension?

incka

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Depends - on negotiation you'll be lucky to get one much below $1k, if someone pushes to auction there's a chance it will go lower, but a chance it will go higher.

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone here knows when ".jp" will allow 1/2 character domain name registrations?

Exactly what is a 'half character'? http://www./.vu'? (Half of an X.) I realize that '1/2 character' may mean something in .JP, of course.

http://X.vu looks to me to be an above average example of this genre. Its back to that memorability thing and I may screw it up (as an end user) but I would remember it fairly quickly once I got over the unexpected .vu extension and thought of it as 'X View'. I don't know if you'll be the 'next big thing' but I do wish you luck!

incka

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think 1/2 meant 1 or 2 not half

JacksonProduction

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Exactly what is a 'half character'? http://www./.vu'? (Half of an X.) I realize that '1/2 character' may mean something in .JP, of course.

http://X.vu looks to me to be an above average example of this genre. Its back to that memorability thing and I may screw it up (as an end user) but I would remember it fairly quickly once I got over the unexpected .vu extension and thought of it as 'X View'. I don't know if you'll be the 'next big thing' but I do wish you luck!

Hi radioz,

I do indeed mean 1 or 2 characters, just as incka thought. (not a half LOL!)
Anyway thanks for your comments on our X.vu project, I appreciate it.
We know X.vu might be hard to remember at first, but we're sure the X.V(U)iew trick will do.. is.gd is a well known url shortner but it doesn't make sense at all. So X.V(U)iew is much better and even shorter. Right know we're working on the full website which will have a lot more features like analytics ect.. I suggest you use the feedback thingy on the website if you want to suggest a new feature, we might implement it ;)

But now let's get back "on topic"

incka

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Would be good if someone registered I.CU :)

llexx

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This isn't herd mentality - there are real end user buyers snapping these up, not other resellers. These endusers often use the domains are subdomain services and make money on advertising on the sites.
I agree this is not herd mentality, it is rather thinking outside the box.

I sold cr.am a year ago and it's active. Cr.am is being use to cram a long domain names into a tiny address.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If anyone can give me companies paying $x,xxx for 1 letter domain names please shoot me a PM!!

StrikeP

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What about dot cc, worth anything.. For example Tim.cc is on ebay right now for $250, is that a good buy, considering tim .com net or org has significant value..

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Strike,

This name would not have much value unless it was developed. I would not even purchase this for $50.

incka

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't get a .cc at all, I mean you can just as easily and as cheaply register a .gg if you want a repeating character domain, and .bb and .tt arn't that much more expensive

StrikeP

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i agree.. i am not a fan of cc..
however, some guy named tim might find tim.cc valuable lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom