Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

intro Should My Son Be A Domainer?

This thread is a member's introductory post on DNForum.com.

autistictriangle

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My adult son who is a high functioning autistic has had a passion for domains for many years. I ignored his little "obsession" for as long as I managed to do so thinking it will eventually go away or pass. I don't believe he is that terribly knowledgeable about domaining and all the ins and outs. What he does is keep track of domain sales and stuff. He also spends a great deal of time trying to come up with creative/new domains that are not taken yet and over the years has collected several .pdf files full of unregistered names although he has never registered any single one of them.( probably because he never had any means to do so ) He is very compassionate and loves unconditionally. When a local business owned by one of my close friends was looking to expand her online and wholesale side of the business through an ecommerce site, my son went through his list and recommended a domain. The owner and everyone involved with the project was always amazed about how that domain was available! He also showed her his own demo of the ecommerce site and my friend liked it so much she chose to have him develop the site over a professional team which would have cost her a ton of money. He is very stubborn about doing it for free. He is just "happy to be useful" as he puts it. Everything he knows is self-taught.

I'm close to retiring and I have been forced to face certain facts that cannot be ignored. He is the most smartest person that I know and also the most imbalanced. He is amazing at some areas and at others, he is very much like a child. I'm unable to come up with a safety net for him so I'm going to embrace his obsession and even support him and see if his out of the box creativity can make something out of it. So that's why I have created this account here in his name and hopefully he will use the available resources to learn as much as he can. I was planning to give him $5000 to start with so he can buy and trade with you 'domainers' here on this forum. I think I can manage to give him $5000 every 6 months for a while or as long as I can. I know that is not much in the 'domaining world' but that's all I can do and that's a start. Before all that, I wanted to openly ask the members, should my son be a domainer? I hear there are lot of things to watch out for and I don't want him to play with the crows. From the little I shared, does he seem like a good fit? Any comments would be awesome!

Domain summit 2024

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Before all that, I wanted to openly ask the members, should my son be a domainer?
It's not up to us to decide :)

But the market is unforgiving, you get it or you don't. Many domainers drop out, a few persist in spite of their failures, which is good if they can learn and eventually improve. But not everybody is cut for it.
The best way to know is to get your feet wet, while avoiding to waste huge sums of money of course :)
I think $5000 is way too much for a start for less while you could find a good prelease domain for less than $100. IMO it's best to start with just a few domains and sell them before you buy even more domains.
When you have the proof of concept, you scale up and grow.

Scott

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's great you can be there financially. I would also consider acquiring active websites in addition to domain names since they can generate revenue while on the market and draw a larger price being a developed property.

AussieKaren

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
My adult son who is a high functioning autistic has had a passion for domains for many years. I ignored his little "obsession" for as long as I managed to do so thinking it will eventually go away or pass. I don't believe he is that terribly knowledgeable about domaining and all the ins and outs. What he does is keep track of domain sales and stuff. He also spends a great deal of time trying to come up with creative/new domains that are not taken yet and over the years has collected several .pdf files full of unregistered names although he has never registered any single one of them.( probably because he never had any means to do so ) He is very compassionate and loves unconditionally. When a local business owned by one of my close friends was looking to expand her online and wholesale side of the business through an ecommerce site, my son went through his list and recommended a domain. The owner and everyone involved with the project was always amazed about how that domain was available! He also showed her his own demo of the ecommerce site and my friend liked it so much she chose to have him develop the site over a professional team which would have cost her a ton of money. He is very stubborn about doing it for free. He is just "happy to be useful" as he puts it. Everything he knows is self-taught.

I'm close to retiring and I have been forced to face certain facts that cannot be ignored. He is the most smartest person that I know and also the most imbalanced. He is amazing at some areas and at others, he is very much like a child. I'm unable to come up with a safety net for him so I'm going to embrace his obsession and even support him and see if his out of the box creativity can make something out of it. So that's why I have created this account here in his name and hopefully he will use the available resources to learn as much as he can. I was planning to give him $5000 to start with so he can buy and trade with you 'domainers' here on this forum. I think I can manage to give him $5000 every 6 months for a while or as long as I can. I know that is not much in the 'domaining world' but that's all I can do and that's a start. Before all that, I wanted to openly ask the members, should my son be a domainer? I hear there are lot of things to watch out for and I don't want him to play with the crows. From the little I shared, does he seem like a good fit? Any comments would be awesome!

Every business industry has 'crows' and pitfalls to watch out for. It sounds like he needs a trusted partner to work with him on the harder aspects. As has already been said, he won't need $5,000 to get started.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can't buy experience in this industry so I agree with what everyone else said... $5,000 is way too much.

Daniel Levi

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Registering available domain names is how everybody starts out and loses money. Avoid making that mistake, and connect him with a mentor before you spend a dime. Hiring a domain consultant will pay off.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First of all, and foremost, thank you for sharing such a wonderful view of your son and your wanting to ensure his future.

I agree with Dlevi on this one...he needs a mentor.

I have similar lists going back 15 years or more. The problem becomes selecting from that list of names (thousands at times) that is a gem.

Your son seems to have a very analytical mind. The place to start are dropping domain lists (expired domains becoming available again). These dropping lists usually contain tons of useful analytics to measure the former (and future) success of a name. Typically those names that have been former sites, have aged well over the years, and still have traffic are a good place to start.

Your son could then learn about "parking" domains to generate revenue. This is where traffic numbers come in handy...traffic still coming into that name or former website are now coming to your son. Parking names is not a road to riches but it will generate revenue to pay for renewals and put a little money in the bank. Most of all, even while parked a good name will get inquiries to purchase.

Creating names is a never ending task and with the abundance of new extensions it will be exactly that...a waster of precious time that is a never ending task.

Autism is, at many times, a fixation. If, IF, it would be possible to redirect his focus, I think there is potential for success, albeit a small one at first.

I like that he is able to create sites and this could be another passion that is built upon.

I wish you success and I look forward to your being a part of this forum with updates. Better yet, I look forward to meeting and greeting your son as a member of the forum.

accelerator

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What are the reasons you are doing this? What are the certain facts that can't be ignored?

If your son is autistic, he may enjoy the pattern matching and combining elements of finding available domain names. However, that does not mean he necessarily has the skills to identify which domains could be registered and sold for a profit.

I also think that $5,000 is more than is needed to start out.

Rgds

enab

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Hello there

First of all I would like to say that I believe you are an amazing and brave parent/mum, I also believe you were right to ask other members for advice, i am unable to comment on if your son should be a domainer, but i think there is no harm being made him have self taught interest in domaining, my concern would be that you would be prepare to invest that kind of money multiple time in his hobby, which I appreciate and understand to certain extend ... so here is my advice to you. Please before you spend any cent, do talk to Adam Dicker, he is also the owner of this forum, he will advise and give you a very honest opinion what should you do next and how and where to put your money in the safest manner, before you make a very big and expensive mistake, you can visit his other website adamdicker.com where you can book Adam's time at very reasonable price, believe me this will be the best money you have ever invested into something, you will be delighted you did it and you will know exactly what to do next. I hope I am not to late with my advice, hope this massage will be of help to you and your son, I wish you both a very happy life..

Warm Regards, Sinisa

Last edited:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators