Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Since you started domaining what has been your biggest regret?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd also handregged a good many crappy names. But I wouldn't file that in the regret cabinet. I feel that the worthless regs helped me to valuate domains better.

I do regret dropping a few names, now that I think of it.

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There r advantages and disadvantages being early to the party.
Some of my buddies operated servers out of their bedrooms at 56k speeds, and made a killing selling their operations.
I regged and dropped several short .coms

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
another one, I caught on to Twitter pretty early on and could have regged some really nice usernames. lots of good stuff was available, big city names and so on. I regged a few back then but really should have taken a great deal more. Good usernames for a network like Twitter have similar qualities to a domain name, there is a demand for them.

Melly

Pink Lover!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wasting my time working for a certain domain company : )

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
another one, I caught on to Twitter pretty early on and could have regged some really nice usernames. lots of good stuff was available, big city names and so on. I regged a few back then but really should have taken a great deal more. Good usernames for a network like Twitter have similar qualities to a domain name, there is a demand for them.

2007 for twitter was like 1995 for .com. We all wish we could have been there had we known what the future would hold :sigh2:

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What are your biggest regrets?

Allowing one of my top sites to drop long before I realized what the traffic was worth.

Selling off one of my old sites which had decent traffic because it was something I enjoyed keeping up with.

irongloves

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I guess my biggest regret was to not win a domain name on NameJet.

It was one of those domains that comes on auction probably once a year or a couple of years. A category defining domain name. It's related to "business men looking for leasing an apartment overseas for a couple of months" (prefer not to say the domain name).

The domain has 8K exact on a global basis but worth it all.

Find out the buyer is another domainer (developer, not parking) with way too deep pockets I cannot compete with.

panago

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Too many domains in portfolio given time constraints.

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Last year I was unhappy with my Twitter name. So I began searching for a better username. Without much thought I typed "domaininvestor" and bam the name was available.

I've gotten followers because of the username. And of course they unfollowed me when I didn't tweet often.

allis

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Last year I was unhappy with my Twitter name. So I began searching for a better username. Without much thought I typed "domaininvestor" and bam the name was available.

I've gotten followers because of the username. And of course they unfollowed me when I didn't tweet often.

i just recently noticed the same thing on my twitter account.

even if i just retweet, lots of followers, but if i don't stay active on it, they drop off.

DomainMagnate

Domain Magnate™
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i just recently noticed the same thing on my twitter account.

even if i just retweet, lots of followers, but if i don't stay active on it, they drop off.

most of them just follow because they want you to follow them back, they drop after you don't :)

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
did you ever recover them?

No, it was about a month before I noticed, and when I did, they had already been resold several times, and even ended up in the hands of exclusive members on here. I couldn't trace it back to the original theif, and you can't exactly take your domain back of someone who has bought it in good faith... :-(

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
- not realizing the value of domains in 1998 when I worked for Verio, a web hosting company.
- not buying BOB.org for a grand when I saw it for sale on this forum.

spriggy

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One regret was letting my very first domain drop. its been sold a few times. Mindless.com :(

Ulysses

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hand reg iCloud.mobi and the selling it last year for $60, it sold for $2,500 just recently.
I did reg about 30 twitter names in 2007 and i still have them, the problem is you cant sell the username openly.

Aristo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Same here: wasting time on poor regs and not aiming for high quality domain acquisitions from the very start :)

Also wasting few bucks on TM names or similar crap

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I began searching for a better username. Without much thought I typed "domaininvestor" and bam the name was available.

I've gotten followers because of the username.
So twitter handles can get 'tire-kick' traffic. Amazing :smilewinkgrin:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not selling a large part of my portfolio back when the market was high! Lost a ton of money by keeping them as the prices fell down.
Quite amazing that domains mirror the stock market. Then again, if people are making money in the stock market then they have disposable income and look at other venues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom