Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Single Letter Domains Coming Soon ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain summit 2024

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
Overstock.com is up here in Vancouver handing out baseball caps with the letter "O" on them. No literature, no message, no nothing else - just baseball caps with an O on the front and overstock.com on the back.

John, how come you didn't recognize that the baseball hats were a closeout
purchase from the Baltimore Orioles*.
:laugh:

*Baseball team near John and I.

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this will set a bad precedent pawing these off to the highsets bidders it used to be landruch so no matter how rich or poor everyone had a chance like a lotterty what will come of other names or tld's if this precendt occurrs besides there could be more useful places for them noprofits etc,,,

the arrogrance of companies to actually think they entitled to trademark a single letter in the dictionary says it all.whose cybersquatting now.

lets not whine about it lets do something visit www.SingleLetters.com
petitions coming to added

ForumDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree that this will be unprecedented arrogance by some companies. The way to go is suggested by UnifiedRoot.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually, a lottery would make a huge amount of sense to ICANN provided they could be convinced that it would actually make more money than a direct sale. In fact they could do one a month for over two years. If nobody's number came up then then it could Rollover to next month, with an even greater take!

Of course all the excitement could serve to distract them even further from their Number One priority which is to implement Top Level IDN.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

ForumDomains said:
I agree that this will be unprecedented arrogance by some companies. The way to go is suggested by UnifiedRoot.

I just been shat on by low flying pigs, again!

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
why don't we just hand over all the good domains to the multi-billion dollar corporations that really don't need them anyways...while we are at it let's throw in our wives and first born, hell let's just be slaves on their internet...elequa you are a lucky SOB to have i.net btw! luv ya man :)

In closing..the only fair way to do it if they go back on their word to hold them forever would be a public lottery...peoples lives could be changed forever...or award them to the people that would have been able to register them before they took them hostage...big can of wiggly worms.

ForumDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
dwrixon said:
... I just been shat on by low flying pigs, again!
Have you invested a lot of money... and efforts... and hope in IDN.com's, Dave? If that is the case I would not blame you for your condemnatory approach to UnifiedRoot's around-the-dot project!

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mocus said:
why don't we just hand over all the good domains to the multi-billion dollar corporations that really don't need them anyways...while we are at it let's throw in our wives and first born, hell let's just be slaves on their internet...elequa you are a lucky SOB to have i.net btw! luv ya man :)

In closing..the only fair way to do it if they go back on their word to hold them forever would be a public lottery...peoples lives could be changed forever...or award them to the people that would have been able to register them before they took them hostage...big can of wiggly worms.

I like the Lion Insignia.

However, when it comes to single alphabet characters in dot com in the various scripts of the world it would seem that we have the Lions share. Whilst Latin Script is probably the most widely used, it is only really used in English in an unadulterate form. The other major alphabetic scripts in order of importance are Arabic which also covers Farsi and Urdu, Davengari which is the most widely used script in India, Cyrillic which covers most of the Slavic Languages and Japanese Hirigana. With the exception of Cyrillics, where we have only three examples, we have the Lions share in the remainder. These are actually registered, not some hypothetical domains that might be released.

OK, individually none of these is likely to ever surpass the importance of Latin, but in many cases they have a user base that is almost comparable. I wish you luck in getting hold of even one single character dot com. By comparison our holding of essentially comparable domains run well into three figures!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wow, someone paid attention in geography class! dude, you rock! :eek:k:

who votes for a lottery

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ForumDomains said:
Have you invested a lot of money... and efforts... and hope in IDN.com's, Dave? If that is the case I would not blame you for your condemnatory approach to UnifiedRoot's around-the-dot project!

Yes, I have but I believe I have done my homework. I do not see these as a specific threat to IDN, indeed as much as they are threat they are already in place but not via UnfiedRoot, who are simply ripping off others failed ideas. This kind of concept is florishing in the Far East, but only because ASCII dot coms do not provide a viable alternative there. Once IDN takes off and fills the vacuum, it is widely accepted that they will wither on the vine, which is why the owners of such services are very anti-IDN.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
not sure what the best way is ,,, the main thing right now is stopping them so these types of issues can be discussed.

and its not just about 23 letters ,,theres dozens of extensions,,net,,org,,biz,,info,,and dozens of country codes so theres litterally hundreds of single letters ..

this will set the precedent for not only single letters but all new extension names that once there used to be a even playing field for everyone to have a chance in getting a name this precedent will now be only the rich.

icann's job is keeping the net a even playing field for all not turning it upside down

www.SingleLetters.com

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ICANN can sell the gTLDs but I don't think they can determine what happens to the country codes.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators