Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Single Letter Domains Coming Soon ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bottom line - this is a story that matters to 23 people on the planet. That doesn't qualify as news. It's like saying that Paris Hilton is looking for a husband. Okay, one guy will be her husband - the rest of you can go back to KY Jelly and download videos.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
Bottom line - this is a story that matters to 23 people on the planet. That doesn't qualify as news. It's like saying that Paris Hilton is looking for a husband. Okay, one guy will be her husband - the rest of you can go back to KY Jelly and download videos.

Don't lie to me - I know I have a chance with Paris :eek:k:

John, are you currently in Vancouver for the conference?

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
www said:
An auction simply means the deepest pockets take home the whole pie. An ordinary release into the wild favors those with access to the best catching resources, and then perhaps the deepest pockets after that if an auction results.

I like the idea of something where everyone has the same opportunity to win. Moreover, that might generate a lot of good publicity and interest for the industry. Domains like these could change a person's or a family's life, and that's also an interesting news story.

Confucious say: exacareeeeeeee!

they should try doing something fair...for once

Chris

Brando said:
Corps shouldn't be given preferential treatment, as the above news story suggests. There should be an open auction, or better yet, an open lottery with an entry limit of one per company or individual.

hip hip hooray

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ctc said:
Single-letter names like "a.com" and "b.com" remain unused. That may soon change as the Internet's key oversight agency considers lifting restrictions on the simplest of names. read article

Well, my prediction is that the following heavy companies (that can afford it, cause ICANN is hungry ) will get these single letter domains:

y.com = yahoo
m.com = microsoft
e.com = ebay
g.com = google
i.com = intel
s.com = sun or sony
k.com = kodak
b.com = british airways

what other companies do you think might take other single letter domains?

I would think that:

y.com = yamaha
m.com = mitsubishi
e.com = erickson
g.com = goo
i.com = isuzu
s.com = sony
k.com = kawosaki
b.com = baidu

Maybe equally as likely based on perhaps a misconception that Americans have as much trouble typing in words in Latin script as they do, such companies may regard single character domains as essential to maintain momentum in the US market:-D

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"e.com" would definitely be ebay without a doubt, price is no object to those monsters!

dnMaster2006

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Shobhit said:
These single letter domain names are already registered:

q.com [q.com] is Qwest Communications
x.com [x.com] is PayPal.com
z.com [z.com] is Nissan Motors
i.net [i.net] is a registrar
q.net ("Q Networks") is registered to "Bradley Allen"
x.org [x.org] is an organisation of The Open Group

x.com == PayPal.com

I hope they know where they are investing our money.

elequa

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:

I agree With you John. I would like to add that this came out to a board member in ICANN who is closely affiliated with a company that is dying to have a single character .com ..... I would also like to add that it wont be fair for this idea of auction nor first come first serve... if ICANN have a sense of honor they would hold on to their word and never releasing the names.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
It's like saying that Paris Hilton is looking for a husband. Okay, one guy will be her husband - the rest of you can go back to KY Jelly and download videos.

Heey, not everyone likes a slut. :smartass:

However, breaking this news can only result in 230,000 people gunning down the name, instead of 23 if ICANN had just silently released it back to the pool one dark and stormy night....

domaindirk

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Looks like a lot of potential legal action down the road. Law firms will be the ones getting the big $$$.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agree, dirk. Yahoo probably knew about this a while ago, which is why they trademarked y.com so as to enable the law on their side when this release happens.

elequa

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mole you can not trademark something you dont own. Yahoo just made the biggest mistake of their biz career. This will work for their disadvantage. Its like me trademarking lets say $.com again you cant trademark a single charac only the domain but they can trademark the logo Y! that alone doesnt justify their right to use the name Y.COM

Deleted member 4749

Knowledge is Power
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All your 1 letter .coms belong here.

jberryhill said:
It's like saying that Paris Hilton is looking for a husband. Okay, one guy will be her husband - the rest of you can go back to KY Jelly and download videos.

Classless.

Romain

DNF Veteran
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think they'll release on first come first served, because they know that companies like snapnames, or pool will get the names and will auction them to make the money ICANN could have won *(or maybe with a partnership...)*.
If i were at this meeting, i would say that the best thing to do would be to not to release these names.
As a domainer, i think the best thing that could happen would be the "lottery" that mocus suggested, ICANN would earn money on this one and that would be a good publicity for both ICANN and the domain industry.
ICANN is an organisation and won't spit on $$$ so whatever they decide, keep in mind that they'll earn a lot of money...

elequa

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also want to add y.com as yahoo claims a trademark for the domain of which they dont own its illegal and I would call it TRADEMARK SQUATTING

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
elequa said:
if ICANN have a sense of honor they would hold on to their word and never releasing the names.

I agree with Elequa.

Considering the recent proposed agreement with Verisign, Icann needs to demonstrate
some corporate integrity.

I believe they clearly stated a few years ago that the "one character" domains will be
retired if they expired.

Or, did they say we will hold them til we need some money.

Isn't that we (they) call cybersquatting?

elequa said:
I also want to add y.com as yahoo claims a trademark for the domain of which they dont own its illegal and I would call it TRADEMARK SQUATTING

Duplicate point.

Elequa, you are a faster typer than me. :-D

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Let some of the network news anchors start explaining a little bit about how they might be released soon, and how these domains can affect a person's and their family's life, then you'll see how many people get interested, and how that might also boost interest in an already rising industry to the benefit of us all.

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i say we get a petition going forcing them to HOLD all and not sell any,, ,,isn;t there a Traffiz association?? maybe we can lobby icann between everyone theres thousands of pages to hear us.

i can set up icann.jackass.us or icann.sucks.info or icann.sucks.biz maybe one at each,,which sounds better !!!!!

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you exactly who is behind this.

Overstock.com is up here in Vancouver handing out baseball caps with the letter "O" on them. No literature, no message, no nothing else - just baseball caps with an O on the front and overstock.com on the back.

So, for fun, myself and a few other people have been telling people that Oprah is coming to the ICANN conference, and the guy from Overstock has to keep explaining, "No, it's not Oprah".

We also told him that he can't just get o.com, but he'll also have to get all of the typographic variants.

"What do you mean?"

"You know, like, what will happen if you have O.com and some other guy gets 0.com (the numeral zero)? Or suppose they start releasing international character sets and someone else gets O with an Umlaut or an accent? You're not going to let yourself get screwed by just getting that one letter are you?"

The guy seemed genuinely concerned. What a hoot.

But, yes, I agree with the comments above. Instead of releasing just a few single-letter domain names, ICANN should release millions of them so that everyone can have one.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Who cares? I already have bucket fulls of single character domains!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators