Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

SnapNames - Useful or Useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi Lawrence,

What position were you trying to illustrate by posting those pages?

Lawrence

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We've had mixed reactions as to which is the best full page portal.

Our own testing led us to believe that the pages with graphical icons did the best (#1 & #4), although not by far from the pages with minimal graphics.

However, one of our affiliates (a member of this board) has reported that he saw a 10% improvement with pages that contain minimal graphics (#5 & #6).

Thats interesting, my own findings sort of tie in with that and relate to the type of domains/traffic being directed.

If someone is looking to create a single domain search site then a more graphical one can help in terms of perceived quality/professionalism as their traffic is likely to come from marketing their site directly rather than on-spec domain traffic so people have predetermined perceptions of what they expect.

If its pure opportunistic conversion (as is most domain traffic conversion), then a fast loading and simple layout tends to pull better as the person is quickly presented with an uncluttered series of links at peak interest.

When I spoke of paid exits before, what I meant was rather than having a handful of people multisearch, if every visitor clicked one link to exit it would yield a much higher revenue per unique.

Lawrence

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind...

The amount of activity above the actual search results will have a noticeable impact on revenue on a ppc landing page.

We've taken one of our portals and placed a 468x60 banner at the very top for a period of time. Then we tested the same portal without the banner. We noticed about a 15% increase in revenue without the banner. The banner was a rotated banner, some high ctr, some low.

So...If you're making $100 a day off a ppc landing page with a 468x60 banner on top, in order to justify keeping that banner, one should be earning an amount equal to or greater than $15.

Moderators, isn't it time to close this thread and move this topic off to another one? It's long moved away from Snapnames usefullness.

Lawrence

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thewitt
Moderators, isn't it time to close this thread and move this topic off to another one? It's long moved away from Snapnames usefullness.

Lol...I think you're right.

If anyone wants to discuss profit maximization from type-ins in a new thread, I'd be happy to share my experiences.

DomainSage

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What new things do you want to see if a new snap program was created? If you let me know, I can work on a new one.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
>If you let me know, I can work on a new one.

Start by doing deals with as many registrars as yoou can, to get priority access to their SRS connections. Once you've got that little job out of the way, worry about the user interface.

DomainSage

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
SRS.. that's their registry, correct? Also, can you strike exclusive deals with each registrar? Does SnapNames have an exclusive contract with Verisign? If so, why would Verisign hand over this business to SnapNames and not to the job themselves and make all the money?

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainSage
SRS.. that's their registry, correct? Also, can you strike exclusive deals with each registrar? Does SnapNames have an exclusive contract with Verisign? If so, why would Verisign hand over this business to SnapNames and not to the job themselves and make all the money?

Good question !!

Snapnames does not have an exclusive contract with the Verisign registry...

What Snapnames did was get exclusive contracts with a number of registrars before the dropped domain market had been identified as interesting by most of them. There was an interview posted with the president of SnapNames where he admited that they were very lucky to get these contracts early on. He did not offer up who these registrars were however - but he did say that these contracts expire soon, so there is good reason for SnapNames to be looking for alternatives like the WLS, where they have struck a contract deal with Verisign to provide the technology behind grabbing dropping domains. Which by the way, makes no sense to me since Verisign will be the dropper not the droppee.

The only way to compete is to get equal access to the registry - which you would only be able to do by striking a similar contract with an existing set of registrars, or by becoming ICANN accredited yourself.

Since the dropped domain market is clearly interesting now, no registrar is going to strike the kind of deals with anyone that SnapNames managed to do. It was a stoke of genius and luck - the two in combination that generally make one rich.

If you want to compete today, you need to become ICANN accredited and then write your own scripts to grab dropping domain names. This will let you grab dropping domains with the best of them today, and then to become a WLS "reseller" when and if Verisign takes control of the dropped name business for CNO names.

-t

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ultsearch and buydomains buy all the snaps on snapnames !

I don't agree. I manage to snapback a lot of good domains. But almost all end up being renewed or if they drop I loose most of them to Koreans. Anyone know of any Snap Back Service in Korea? Have been to a few Korean sites but I don't get a word they say. :)

Originally posted by kvinsencius
Ultsearch and buydomains buy all the snaps on snapnames !

I don't agree. I manage to snapback a lot of good domains. But almost all end up being renewed or if they drop I loose most of them to Koreans. Anyone know of any Snap Back Service in Korea? Have been to a few Korean sites but I don't get a word they say. :)

Try : http://www.t-mail.com/cgi-bin/tsail :rolleyes:

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks goh!! The link is very appreciated. I will let you know if I find anything interesting.

G

gbrott

who exactly are "the koreans" (don't tell me they are the people who live in korea), and why are they so big into the domain game?? it's interesting to hear all this talk of them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom