Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

SnapNames was very good to me today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In the past I said I was not trying to reg expired names anymore due to the futility involved with BuyDomains and UltSearch success. However, I did have 4 old SnapBacks which were pre-paid and active. One name was grabbed by one of them a few days ago so I needed to replace it with another using the free exchange feature.

I randomly checked zillions of logical and valuable names to see if any were expired or near expiration. After a long time I found one which had expired approx' 30 days ago and I exchanged it earlier in the week.

Since it was such an excellent dot-com name, I really had little if any hope of getting the name, especially since it was also an active industry specific website for several yrs with links and SE ranking, and lots of listings on Archive.org. I mainly exchanged it as I needed to do the exchange and could not find one I thought I could easily grab.

It also had 1,600 exact term Suggestion Tool returns, which is actually very good for a 2 word name in a non-primary type of industry, though it is an industry specific leading 2 word phrase you would recognize right away.

A short time ago that wonderful email arrived from SnapNames informing me they managed to grab the name. What a pleasant and amazing surprise it was!

Thank you SnapNames, you must have somehow beaten Buy Domains and Ultra Serach as I am sure they also wanted this domain! Perhaps they were on vacation for July 4th Holiday, even with Ultra Search being in Hong Kong. Though BuyDomains from Washington DC I am sure must have been away for this to happen to me! :)

Domain summit 2024
M

MattyP

Good on you RealNames. I am very happy for you.

And to think how much you are going to save on tissues over the next few weeks.

Matt

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but what is the name you got?

Ultsearch and buydoms add hundreds of domains per drop - they aren't playing at this. If they didn't get the domain, chances are it was just one of many on their volume lists and they could care less either way.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Drewbert Yeah, but what is the name you got?

Thanks for asking but I really don't like disclosing that information. One reason is what if the old owner gets news of it (perhaps he is even a member here or someone here emails him) and he then claims an error happened or he really paid for it and his payment was lost, etc., and the registrar tries to undo it. I know this is very unlikely but I still worry about it. The registrars have very strong power to do almost anything they want to do, some say they may cancel registrations for any reason.

Also don't want the possibility some members here may either praise the name too much (and I am considered a bragger), Or the opposite effect, others being somehow negative toward it. Perhaps some here may not be familiar with this secondary but important industry, which is really a powerful and big money industry but they may not know that. They may then downplay its value needlessly, then I have to post more here defending it.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys Ultsearch and buydoms add hundreds of domains per drop - they aren't playing at this. If they didn't get the domain, chances are it was just one of many on their volume lists and they could care less either way.

Thanks but I feel sure this is not the case here. How do I know? Because I have been beaten by them many times on far less significant and worthy names which I had SnapBacks on.

I also know from first hand personal experience they routinely grab inferior expired names. In fact, BuyDomains takes a high percentage of my old domains :mad: I am now reluctant to let any names expire.

It seems like almost every name I do not renew in this same industry is then grabbed by BuyDomains.com, names far less valuable than this name. Believe me, from being in this industry myself for many yrs I know a good name when I see one. ;)

I really wouldn't worry what other domain resellers think about your domains if you are targetting end users. The liklihood that end users have seen this site are extremely slim.

registrars are all accountable, if they want to pull a domain back, they need to admit error - and that can hurt them so unless their client is big and valued they won't do it.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
RealNames, unless you reveal that name, everybody is gonna think you are happy to have gotten a mediocre domain because it's hard to believe that you've beaten ultsearch and bb to it

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree.
Reveal the domain!

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Another reason I am reluctant to reveal the name is that it is so good I want to see it for myself in tomorrow's Whois. If it was an average name I would not care too much if you knew the name.

Two reasons this may have happened, SnapNames could have improved their technology.

Or, BuyDomains was asleep at the switch, perhaps due to the long 4 day July 4th Holiday which I am sure Michael Mann (BuyDomains' Owner) took off from work to celebrate.

By the way, I think BuyDomains is much better at this than UltSearch, especially involving financial names, which they seem to specialize in from what I have seen.

I personally know a commodity broker who purchased for $3,000 an industry term name from them they had recently grabbed. He learned of it by typing the name into his browser address window and their domain for sale page popped up. They wanted $5,000., he offered $3,000 which they accepted. Both parties were happy.

If its a good domain, whether you reveal it or not won't make any difference as it will have been taken on some registrar somewhere.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
come on, RealNames, we're good guys. we're not like the others :)

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
was it realnames.com? :)

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by uncle come on, RealNames, we're good guys. we're not like the others :)

I know but please don't misunderstand, it is NOT a great name or top-tier one. It's probably only a so called mid-cap name (an old term used by Afternic), though a valuable industry specific primary term.

The main reason it is significant is that it's much better than many other names UltSearch and BuyDomains have grabbed in the past and the best name I have seen them NOT get in this niche financial industry.

Again, perhaps SnapNames has improved their methodology, or the others were sleeping due to the Holiday.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I also know from first hand personal experience they routinely grab inferior expired names. In fact, BuyDomains takes a high percentage of my old domains :mad: I am now reluctant to let any names expire.

BuyDomains grabbed at least one of the names I let expire too, but I don’t see that as being a good reason to stop dropping my poorer names that I don’t have any use for, or the effort needed to sell them exceeds their worth.

And never look back to see if anyone picked up any of your names. When you finally break up with an old domain name, just don’t turn around! :cry: lol

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Real Names

Methinks you put far too much focus on Ultimate and Buy domains and Snap..

God, ; last year everyone was whining about the Koreans and how unbeatable they were. Now you hardly see them.

Ultimate wins because they place bets in so many places its sure to pay off.

Everone of you is capable of doing that. The opportunity and technology is just lying around waiting for you guys to find it.

And for the record in the last 18 months after capturing 100's of domains in the drops not once has a registrar come back after one. Soooooo share the name!

So, RealNames...you ready to let us know the domain you "snapped" up?

Miles

From Realnames:
Another reason I am reluctant to reveal the name is that it is so good I want to see it for myself in tomorrow's Whois. If it was an average name I would not care too much if you knew the name.

From Realnames:
I know but please don't misunderstand, it is NOT a great name or top-tier one.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
was RealNames the one who insisted that beatz revealed his 'secrets'?

RealNames, we will gladly pay for the information which name Snapnames got for you..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators