Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

So what do you drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Summit 2024

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SDX, you were the one making such silly comments as your SUV beats Ferraris, Corvettes, Mclaren SRLs. I don't doubt it's a great car, but let's be realistic ;)

But it does!!! :cheeky: ...of course not an F10 or all of them, but most sport cars don't stand a chance!...that's the whole beauty of this "undercover SUV" :eek:k:
I used to think just like you before I got this "Jeep SUV", but now I'm enlightened! :lol:
You have no idea how many times Vette drivers come up to me with their jaws dropped after I kill 'em of the line and say "What the hell you got in that?!!" LOL! :lol:

exxe

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But it does!!! :cheeky: ...of course not an F10 or all of them, but most sport cars don't stand a chance!...that's the whole beauty of this "undercover SUV" :eek:k:
You can beat them on a straight line, you will have tough times on the corners. A sport car isn't meant only for drag race, it's more than that. And you know :D

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can beat them on a straight line, you will have tough times on the corners. A sport car isn't meant only for drag race, it's more than that. And you know :D

But what an exhilarating "straight line" it is! :cool: :eek:k:

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Petra, I notice you keep calling them 'bimmers'
is that what you call them in the states

bm's are called 'beamers' over here in UK :cool:
I think you'll agree, much cooler ;)

btw, as I'm sure you'll agree also, TRUE sports cars can only come from 2 places. Italy and England :smilewinkgrin::cool:

exxe

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

http://www.bmwccbc.org/misc/tech-and-trivia/bimmer.html

Bimmer vs Beemer
Enthusiasts vs others
Definitions:
Bimmer - proper accepted slang for BMW cars. Most people don't know this.
Beamer/Beemer - proper accepted slang for BMW motorcycles. You will hear this term used incorrectly by many people.
Bummer - When you get a speeding ticket.
Bitter - Another German car. Very rare; hand built.

So just why is a BMW car called a 'bimmer' not a 'beemer' or 'beamer'?

The answer in part lies in knowing some BMW history and what came first.

All real BMW enthusiasts know that BMW got a big start on two wheels, what many call the real BMWs.

In those days, BMW motorcycles were quite active in racing, and one of their competitors at the track was often the BSA bikes.

Well as things would have it, a track slang developed, and the BMWs were usually referred to as 'beemers' and the BSAs were referred to as 'beesers'.

So, of course for any true enthusiast, there is no way that a BMW car could be called a 'beemer', so they were called 'bimmers'.

Unfortunately, in the US and Canada, and perhaps other countries, there was a time (kind of still is) where for various reasons, a BMW owner was considered an upwardly mobile person, and of course due to the fun in driving their BMWs most all of them had big grins on their faces.

Hence it is little surprise that the non enthusiast types out there incorrectly labeled BMW cars and their owners as 'beamers' or 'beemers'.

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Petra, I notice you keep calling them 'bimmers'
is that what you call them in the states

btw, as I'm sure you'll agree also, TRUE sports cars can only come from 2 places. Italy and England :smilewinkgrin::cool:

LOL Guy! ...Yes, many here in the States call 'em Bimmers. :eek:k:
I absolutely agree on the Italy part, but does England even make their own cars anymore? ;)
J.K., but definitely don't underestimate American sports cars also! :smilewinkgrin:
Some Jap sports cars are cool too, btw. :eek:k:

Last edited:

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Diesel burners here in the states were very noisy and dirty...you could look at a vehicle and tell it was a diesel because of all the soot.

MB stopped shipping models to the US when newer restrictions came out.

VW improved their performance and environment friendliness in a big way. I had a new 2003 VW Beetle TDI (turbo diesel) and it was the best (and one of the fastest) vehicles on the road. It was an automatic and I was getting 44-46 MPG on highway. A co-worker had a Jetta 5 speed and he swore getting 52+ MPG on the highway.

I also had a GMC 2500HD Duramax Diesel. The torque on that thing was incredible. The best part about it, no one knew it was diesel because it was so quiet.

I will consider other diesel vehicles in the new future. I love VW and will now look closer at the AUDI line with the TDI engine.

The only thing missing is a Volvo Diesel...but Volvo makes such a great and reliable product ( at least they did - I am not sure how F'd up they are now with Ford ownership ). We have an S60 R and we love it.

But isn't the diesel burner in a (example) Mercedes S320 CDI bought in the US, the same as the diesel burner in a Mercedes S320 CDI bought in Germany/Norway? If so, then it all boils down to that you guys have much stricter rules than the rest of the countries (who allow diesel engines), right?

I can see your point though.. Diesel engines aren't exactly environment friendly, at least they didn't use to be, but the engines in the 2010+ diesel cars are really something different and with the "blue efficiency" line they're supposed to be eco friendly as well.

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But isn't the diesel burner in a (example) Mercedes S320 CDI bought in the US, the same as the diesel burner in a Mercedes S320 CDI bought in Germany/Norway? If so, then it all boils down to that you guys have much stricter rules than the rest of the countries (who allow diesel engines), right?

I can see your point though.. Diesel engines aren't exactly environment friendly, at least they didn't use to be, but the engines in the 2010+ diesel cars are really something different and with the "blue efficiency" line they're supposed to be eco friendly as well.

My Mom also had the Mercedes G55 AMG before getting her current Audi Q7...and one time someone stuck a "Environment Terrorist" sticker on her car! LOL! :lol:
BTW, Here in the States Audis are REAL competition to Bimmers now also! :)

owntag

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Highlander & Enclave :)

axeman

The One and Only
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

No, the diesel engines are not the same with the US restrictions...the same for all the glass from the windows on down to the headlamps. I think every major european manufacturer has US and euro models. Many have models that are not even sold in the US. When I was in Italy I saw MB, VW, BMW, and even Ford models not sold in the US. Here I was in Europe taking pictures of cars!

Euro models are much better designed, in my opinion. I love the Italian marquees and most of the German styling.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Oh yeah???

Look up the Plymouth Cricket, biatch. Parts were so hard to find I had to buy a wreck just to have xtra parts to replace on mine.

Actually, that car sucked. Made by British Leyland.

I used to have a 1967 MGB GT. That was a marvelous vehicle. But, thanks to the brits, they really ****ed it up.

It had two carburators the size of fish bowls.

It was a 12 volt system with 2 six volt batteries! Imagine that, the brits thought 6+6=12 so instead of putting one 12 volt in it, they thought they were clever.

Try paying for batteries, biatch, when one cell goes dry and drains all the other cells in 2 batteries.

It needed tweeking of the carbs about every two weeks.

It looked identical to this one complete with spinners and spoked wheels, etc, and British Racing Green.
http://www.mgexperience.net/pictures/1287,0/1967_mg_mgb_gt_brg.jpg

Last edited:

alangs

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I used to have a 1967 MGB GT. That was a marvelous vehicle. But, thanks to the brits, they really ****ed it up.

I though it was Ralph Nader that did that :)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I though it was Ralph Nader that did that :)

Naw, he did it to vehicles that had luggage compartment in front, engine in rear...like the Corvair, VW Bettle, and VW Ghia.

Brits don't need any help in f'n things up.

Actually, we (the US) doesn't need any help f'n things up...we just need help in getting out of the messes we create.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, the diesel engines are not the same with the US restrictions...the same for all the glass from the windows on down to the headlamps. I think every major european manufacturer has US and euro models. Many have models that are not even sold in the US. When I was in Italy I saw MB, VW, BMW, and even Ford models not sold in the US. Here I was in Europe taking pictures of cars!

Euro models are much better designed, in my opinion. I love the Italian marquees and most of the German styling.

Cool, I didn't know that. I know that different models are distributed to different countries, but I didn't know that there actually was a difference between a US MB S320 CDI and a German one. So, you basically can't import a diesel car from Germany to the US then?

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Cool, I didn't know that. I know that different models are distributed to different countries, but I didn't know that there actually was a difference between a US MB S320 CDI and a German one. So, you basically can't import a diesel car from Germany to the US then?

Sure, there are different exhaust emission standards, different lights, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators