Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld So what happened to DNF.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Both DNF.ca and DNForum.ca now just point to the .ca section here. :?:

What's up?

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah....weird...what's up?

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DCG won the lawsuits. The old forum now exists at d n c dot ca.

I'm sticking here at DNF. Not only because it's better (I don't know this from experience, but I'll make a sure bet), but because I respect and therefore will stay loyal to the community, brand, and overall prosperous environment which Adam created.

The other forum was created out of pure disrespect for this very thing, and as such, I will have nothing to do with it, no matter what name it goes by.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Shut down due to political bickering of being a stand alone .ca site but no stand alone .us site.

You Canadians think you are so much better than us.

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Shut down due to political bickering of being a stand alone .ca site but no stand alone .us site.

You Canadians think you are so much better than us.

To quote Sheldon Cooper from Episode 22, Season 3 of the Big Bang Theory:

"It's not an assumption."

:smilewinkgrin:

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is not what I meant. I know all about the DNF (d n c) legal thing.

I meant ...What happened to the DNF.ca and DNForum.ca that Adam set up and had running which now just points to the .CA section here...

DCG won the lawsuits. The old forum now exists at d n c dot ca.

I'm sticking here at DNF. Not only because it's better (I don't know this from experience, but I'll make a sure bet), but because I respect and therefore will stay loyal to the community, brand, and overall prosperous environment which Adam created.

The other forum was created out of pure disrespect for this very thing, and as such, I will have nothing to do with it, no matter what name it goes by.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am GUESSING the number of posts ended up getting split in half so the critical mass fell below the threshold and total posts started declining. If that's the case it's probably only a matter of a year or so until it is separate again. Then again it could be something as simple as a technical issue, or maybe Adam is integrating the two sites so a post on one goes to both, he's clever like that :)

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am GUESSING the number of posts ended up getting split in half so the critical mass fell below the threshold and total posts started declining.

That's what I predicted when I first heard about the seperate .ca forum. IMO, there are simply insufficient numbers of members to reach critical mass on more than a few domain forums worldwide. I recall the time frame dnforum achieved critical mass but I think it took a few years at that time and I also believe there were more active domainers way back then than there are today (but that could be wrong, the number of active domainers I mean).

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's what I predicted when I first heard about the seperate .ca forum. IMO, there are simply insufficient numbers of members to reach critical mass on more than a few domain forums worldwide. I recall the time frame dnforum achieved critical mass but I think it took a few years at that time and I also believe there were more active domainers way back then than there are today (but that could be wrong, the number of active domainers I mean).

Precisely. It's a specialized niche. Just like .com.au, IDN's, numerical domains, and TM risk domains over generic domains.

The point is, specialized niches have their own sub-forums for that exact reason. I don't consider .ca to be so unique that it commands its own completely separate community altogether.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I have said this before, but an insiders' hangout for .CA is probably not good enough, we HAVE TO engage end-users to sustain a .CA-specific forum. And that takes A LOT of resources like time (many, many hours of hard work) and money (hiring paid administrators and moderators, as well as conventional/off-line advertising).

Premiumhosted

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
New forum d n c is better! Just my opinion.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't consider .ca to be so unique that it commands its own completely separate community altogether.
From what I have seen and from what I have read, you would probably be in the minority here.

Frankly, it is pretty astounding to see nations adopt their cc and widespread usage. It is a unique identifier and obviously a source of national pride. I look back a .jp, .nl, .de...these are fanatical users. So much so, you would be hard pressed to sell a (dutchword).com.

And, it seems that those that restrict registration are some of the most successful. Typically domainers would scoff at the idea of a restricted registration and pronounce it destined-to-fail.

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From what I have seen and from what I have read, you would probably be in the minority here.

Frankly, it is pretty astounding to see nations adopt their cc and widespread usage. It is a unique identifier and obviously a source of national pride. I look back a .jp, .nl, .de...these are fanatical users. So much so, you would be hard pressed to sell a (dutchword).com.

And, it seems that those that restrict registration are some of the most successful. Typically domainers would scoff at the idea of a restricted registration and pronounce it destined-to-fail.

While I certainly think that if one TLD had to command its own community, .ca would be it, I still think that the underlying practice of domaining is consistent with that of all other TLD's, and as a result, it meshes perfectly with a forum such as this.

Not that I thought you said it doesn't mesh, but do consider the disadvantages... if we were to do .ca dealings and discussions in a more private setting, what method would you as an American have to keep up to date in the world of .ca? Not that it affects you, but I think that the performances of specific markets within domaining would be of interest to you as a domainer.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if we were to do .ca dealings and discussions in a more private setting...
I think we need to send troops to our northern borders.

We should all card all that we suspect being Canadian. This includes NHL teams. Show us your papers or be deported.

Y'all stealing our jobs...news anchors, comedians, TV show hosts.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
and Justin Bieber.

it might be more active if the .ca market was more active. perhaps the time will come when a stand alone forum would work better. I imagine a .de forum would work well because that market is really active.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The .ca forum will reopen after the .co.uk forum.

We are setting up a win / win business model to try on dnforum.co.uk. , that will open in January.

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators