Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

So what's wrong with DNForum moderation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm a bit out of sync, but it seems that the mob is running DNForum instead of some sensible minds lately.

From my casual observation, this may be the result of:

a) the lack of respect for voluntary moderators (which I'm sorry to say, action has to be coming from Adam himself to revert it), and

b) an ultra "Laissez-faire" policy of moderation which has seriously hurt the "rule of law".

For a small circle of closely knit and respectable businessmen, the latter, anything goes forum management style may work. But DNForum is much bigger than that, and many quiet lurkers (who could well be your core clients) may have already been offended by those active bullying few who think they are running DNForum.

Let me cite 2 examples here:

- http://www.dnforum.com/f496/107-dom...t-ztom-net-streamsrubs-com-thread-384574.html

This guy (GUA) CLEARLY and knowingly post his "above $100" sales in the "$100 and under" section, but no action was taken.

- http://www.dnforum.com/f254/obama-wins-nobel-peace-prize-9-thread-390136.html#post1799028

This REPORTED post CLEARLY requires action. I couldn't believe any sensible moderator would think otherwise and let DNForum goes down like one of those cheap forums where kids paste a dozen pictures in a single post.

So my question is, what's wrong with DNForum moderation?

Upvote 0

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So it's not like the subforum *must* go to 'restore order'.
I honestly think it is a shame to have the moderators spend so much time with non-domain issues on a domain forum.

Prior to this thread, I never really gave it that much thought. But isn't that what we are talking about primarily? One section or subsection that is causing so much chaos? And it is not even domain oriented?

How many moderators do we have now? I know of dragger and Johnn and Chuck (admin). Am I missing some? I am sure I am omitting a couple.

Again, why should they be obligated to spend their time and energies on issues and matters not even related to domaining?

For whatever reason or cause, suddenly I am seeing this forum from the other side of the screen. No wonder no body wants to be a moderator here. Obviously the moderators are domainers as well. Doubtful any of them signed up to be a baby sitter in a sub-forum that is in no way affiliated with domaining - with the exception it exists on a domain forum.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The political/controversial section is simply a continuing flame war between right and left wing Americans. It's pretty annonying to see every post go offtopic and in abuse.

Talking politics is bad for business, period. Unless of course you are a professional lobbyist.

and by professional I mean you are well paid. Not the kind that spends their life doing it on the internet every day for free.

elius

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is that really somewhere in the rules? I hadn't realise they were that specific.

But speaking as an alien in at least one sense of the word (foreign, from a foreign country - OED), I don't at all mind if you talk about us.

Hehe sorry, it was a totally unrelated example. I made the example rule absurd just to point out that if a forum has a certain rule, it should be followed because it's the basis on which one joins the forum.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know that DNForum.com has clear rules, but they aren't always enforced - at least, not consistently.

There is flaming and flame wars daily here, which breaks the rules and nothing is done.
Very true. And as a veteran moderator myself over at another web hosting forum for the past 6 years, I could also vouch that even political and religious discussion could be well included in industry-specific forums, as long as flaming and personal attacks are promptly dealt with (and therefore sending the right signal to everybody).

I look at the members posting in those threads and wonder when was the last time they were involved in a sale as either the buyer or seller
LOL! Don't look at me: I have sold quite a few domains for some 4 figures this year, and am negotiating a couple more of similar price range as we speak.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LOL! Don't look at me: I have sold quite a few domains for some 4 figures this year, and am negotiating a couple more of similar price range as we speak.
Those peeps actually should be quite obvious to anyone who has been in one of those threads.

Melly

Pink Lover!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest problem with DNF lately...

Too much scamming going on... Maybe we shouldn't accept new members which of course would suck but it seems 1-2 out of every 5 new members are scammers.

Too much bickering about shit.... When I say shit I mean exactly that. Why waste your breath and time arguing over aliens, presidents, or what you should have for dinner?

If you can't use a debate thread without getting your undies stuck in your ass or to the point where you are physically irritated why go there?

This forums existence was intended for domaining, making money, and learning but there seems to be less of that happening and it will eventually kill the forum, drive away members and become like every other crappy forum....

If you don't like someone then don't talk to them, don't complain about them, don't post on their threads. How hard is that?

What a headache.

As far as the mods/admins go like everyone else I have had threads closed, been yelled at in private messages, yadda, yadda.... Don by far was one of the best staff members even though at times he may have went overboard...

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Too much bickering about shit.... When I say shit I mean exactly that. Why waste your breath and time arguing over aliens, presidents, or what you should have for dinner?

If you can't use a debate thread without getting your undies stuck in your ass or to the point where you are physically irritated why go there? . . .

If you don't like someone then don't talk to them, don't complain about them, don't post on their threads. How hard is that?

Seems from this post that it's quite hard, actually. :)

Melly

Pink Lover!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess your right Mallie.

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seen more than one forum pulled down because of discussions of politics and religion; There are plenty of political and religious forums out there just for those discussions. If anyone is taking votes, I vote for eliminating that section of the forum, and stick to the business at hand, which is domains, ONLY.

Last edited:

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am guilty of wasting my time in there... all threads either end with confusion or certain members get personal about political / religious matters. It is almost impossible to have a mature, professional conversation in there. I have been guilty of taking a thread or two off topic, but only because of some of ridiculous things that have been posted.

I have been staying away from that forum as much as possible and have actually purchased quite a few domains from members here on the site and off site as well as sold quite a few domains to fellow members and on sedo.

Plain and simple, this particular forum is filled with propaganda, negativity and distraction from the REAL topic of this forum, domain names.

DomainScoop.Com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i like dnforum just as it now, i would care less for sweating on minor things like that.....come on..we have better things to do, rather than telling people ,,.moderate moderate etc etc etc........am sick of reading everyday these kind of issues.

i like it just as it now........

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The problem is, where do you draw the line? By not allowing certain topics, you have to follow through by checking out individual words and references, and eventually a forum becomes like a mini-police state.

Despite my tongue-in-cheek comment, isn't Melissa's solution the best one? Self-regulation. If you don't enjoy this sort of topic, simply stay away from the thread. If you do enjoy it, however, make up your mind to steer clear of personal attacks and just state your point of view about the ideas expressed.

But, as with writers, domainers have many other aspects to their lives and other interests, and these are part of what makes them the domainers you know and love. Business of any kind, but especially online business, would be a dull ground indeed without the human side to enliven the robotic.

In my opinion, of course. :)

Area52

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am one of the guilty persons and I agree - shut it down.

Let everyone submit their comments, claims, concerns to the news media.

LOL. To the news media?
Don't people here have self control?
If you don't like it don't go there.

LMAO. This sounds like a political thread.

Last edited:

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I waste time in the political section occasionally, and am not concerned about it being removed from the forum, however consider these two points. [1] Without the political section, the Gold Cafe will become an alien, dietary supplements, global warming, and political discussion area, which will be a major nuisance. [2] Many of the more serious hardcore reputation assassination flames wars, arguments, white noise discussions, etc, take place within the business section, this problem is hardly exclusive to the politics section. IDN, .mobi, minisites, these three subjects alone seem to set off bar-room style brawls every time they're discussed here (the reason I don't even bother with them anymore).

The industry has slowed down, and real information that people can chew on seems a little scarce in my opinion. Even the domaining blog world seems full of drama, stale recycled subject matter, etc. Par for the course in a contracting industry. I would leave the forum as is, and not get drawn into a game of moderation-scale back and forth.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Plain and simple, this particular forum is filled with propaganda, negativity and distraction from the REAL topic of this forum, domain names.

Maybe it appears that way because the resale market sucks big time and since so few domains are selling (with the big notable exception of the ones which somehow magically sell in the DNjorunal reports each week for such surprising prices) forum members have little to do all day except pass time with the non-domain related posts.

An example of how hard it is to sell at forums these days I was checking yesterday and see a majority of names I let expire and got zero bites on via the forums and other venues such as my websites were in fact puchased by others at venues like Snapnames for far more money vs the trivial amounts I would have quickly taken for them. I also see BuyDomains ended up getting many of my cancelled names. Really odd the marginal names do not usually sell at forums and for sale listings at auctioin sites for a fraction of the price domain sellers would have accepted. Anyone know why?

Last edited:

gingeman

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I couldn't care less about the political forum, it carries no interest to me what people who happen to have a similar business model to me (domains) think on "political" issues. All it does is encourage more of the immaturity which is pushing this forum downhill. I don't think I've ever spent any time there or posted, but I've seen enough interesting threads jeopardised by arguments carried over from there.

I ignore the politics forum as others have suggested, but even so I feel its existence helps to set the tone at a more childish level than it would otherwise be.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I didnt even know we had a political forum, seriously. I come here for domains, never dawned on me there would be one here.

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom