Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

So what's wrong with DNForum moderation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm a bit out of sync, but it seems that the mob is running DNForum instead of some sensible minds lately.

From my casual observation, this may be the result of:

a) the lack of respect for voluntary moderators (which I'm sorry to say, action has to be coming from Adam himself to revert it), and

b) an ultra "Laissez-faire" policy of moderation which has seriously hurt the "rule of law".

For a small circle of closely knit and respectable businessmen, the latter, anything goes forum management style may work. But DNForum is much bigger than that, and many quiet lurkers (who could well be your core clients) may have already been offended by those active bullying few who think they are running DNForum.

Let me cite 2 examples here:

- http://www.dnforum.com/f496/107-dom...t-ztom-net-streamsrubs-com-thread-384574.html

This guy (GUA) CLEARLY and knowingly post his "above $100" sales in the "$100 and under" section, but no action was taken.

- http://www.dnforum.com/f254/obama-wins-nobel-peace-prize-9-thread-390136.html#post1799028

This REPORTED post CLEARLY requires action. I couldn't believe any sensible moderator would think otherwise and let DNForum goes down like one of those cheap forums where kids paste a dozen pictures in a single post.

So my question is, what's wrong with DNForum moderation?

Upvote 0

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ok, I have followed this string until in ran off topic.

I actually think it's very interesting how it went off topic. I think domaining issues will always eventually rise to the top on a domaining forum. I think a poll is a good idea.

But I hate to see someone demonized for being 'irritating.'

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ok, I have followed this string until in ran off topic.

Is the consensus that trhe political section should go and that the mod team should moderate more strictly?

-=DCG=-

Adam asked a simple question and it deserves a simple answer: YES

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NO, just follow the rules set out...if something is wrong with the rule then adjust the rules if need be, but I don't see deleting politics as an important issue if you dont like that dont read those threads

JMO.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is the consensus that trhe political section should go and that the mod team should moderate more strictly?

-=DCG=-

Yes. Especially warning members more when they attack other members. I've seen a lot of that going on around here lately.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes. Especially warning members more when they attack other members. I've seen a lot of that going on around here lately.

I cant agree more.

Running a forum requires a certain finesse, and the fine line between right and wrong is lined with many land mines rendering the staff always on the wrong side in someones eyes.

I wont go so far to say that there is a problem with staff here, but I may suggest that there may be a need for more light handed moderation intervention. If the verbal bullies dont get a small spanking now and then, they end up driving away some of the others, and repel some others from joining by mere appearance of a poorly moderated forum. (whether it is or isnt in reality) Heavy handed moderation should be reserved solely to those that continually violate expected code of civility after being warned by staff, or if they appear to be devoted solely to disruption of the forums.

As far as the political forums here go, as well as some of the other off-topic forums, imho, all forums should have a lounge or chit-chat forum, but if the forum has a predominant topical focus, one should take pains to make sure the lounge chit chat doesnt appear to pollute the primary focus of the whole forum, or it may begin to become the predominant focus.

I would toss all but one chit chat forum, and remove those posts from showing up in search results, post lists, todays and recent posts.

But these are just my thoughts.

-smirks-

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Attacks or threats should not be allowed... I would think, that's kind of a given.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Adam, my vote is to leave the forum as is. The domain industry will ripen again, and forum antics will correct themselves accordingly.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
NO, just follow the rules set out...if something is wrong with the rule then adjust the rules if need be, but I don't see deleting politics as an important issue if you dont like that dont read those threads

JMO.

A better solution would be NOT to visit the Political section at all.

Last week a few here complained they were tired of seeing the section in Today's posts, They said it was interfering with their domaining, a distraction they called it. So what did Admin do the very next day? He REMOVED it from Today's posts, just like that. This means you CANT access the section unless you intentionally look for it on the Home page or enter the F254 sub directory in your address bar.

Some time ago I was troubled having to read Adult Domains shown in Today's posts, I advocated they be removed because many of them were disgusting and offensive, The forum acted on that request and made them only accessible through "Adult Domain Sales and Domain Offers"... I was happy with the result and never complained about it since, their was reason for me too.

I don't see the political/controversial section as any different, The section was REMOVED from public view, Why are some complaining about what they dont see? For members who don't participate in politics and are bothered by the arguing, bickering and flame wars, I have a suggestion; DON'T go there!.. DON'T search it out and DON'T read it!, Nobody is forcing you too, just like nobody is forcing me to read the vial names in the Adult section.

For those who do participate and want a cleaner and more constructive debate in the section, we need to enforce the rules and punish the flamers, Members like the one below who does nothing but flame in that section, Just like he's done here.

Honestly, if you just revoke Raider's membership, you could probably keep the political forum without much objection. She really is that irritating to the vast number of people here.

But if you have to ditch politics, and she's stops posting, I'd be thrilled, personally.

The problem in the political section is not with me, It's with people like you who are incapable of having a constructive debate, Members like you that can handle it when your proven wrong, Members like you who are too lazy to research the original topic and offer a rebuttal, Members like you who flame the thread to cover-up for your own ignorance.

Your posts speak for themselves.. I have YET to see one constructive post from you that deals with the original topic in all the time I've been here, NOT ONE, Just a lot flaming and degrading me and others for simply posting facts and stating our opinions.

If it's anyone's membership should be revoked, it's YOURS and members like you. :yes:

Aleksandar

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The problem si within people themselves. It's hard to stay motivated for years and most of them (from my experience - I was a global moderator for 3 years on a large serbian forum) don't have the guts to admit that they're no good for the job anymore. They're proud and selfish, not giving other people the opportunities they deserve.

And the administrator is only to blame in that situation, he gave them the power they're abusing now and he doesn't have the balls to take it away when he sees he made a mistake.

I've always said to our members "I don't care if you love each other but you will have to show respect no matter what".

I saw some people fighting here, it's terrible, I would give them a two week ban and a warning. Next time - permanent. No matter how reputable they are.

demaxxus

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Being a new member here, maybe my thoughts and impressions about this situation can help give a different perspective. This stuff crossed my mind while reading this thread and I just thought I would share.

1) When I first signed up I was surprised to see the political forum. I know most forums have kind of a sandbox for miscellaneous items, but to specifically single out political issues, it seems to me that it's just going to open up arguments and debates that will bring the value of the forums down over time.

An area where you can talk about movies, things you did on the weekend, other issues that will help you get to know the others users, those are the things I would expect to see, but as far as I'm concerned bringing politics into it is dangerous business. When I signed up I thought I was here to talk about domains and help contribute to a domain community, not watch people push their own political views on each other.

Some of the juvenile things I've seen in that forum gave me flashbacks to efnet 15 years ago, where people would literally just come around to cause sh*t and ruffle feathers. Being that this is a professional, paid forum though, I didn't think I would see this sort of thing when I signed up. Not that I can't just ignore it, but overtime I believe it's going to have many negative effects on DNForum as a whole.

2) When I come to the forums, like most people probably do, I click the 'Unread posts' link and scan for items that interest me. However, it can get a tad annoying to scan through so many issues that have nothing to do with domains. Especially when I'm at work and in a hurry to scan :p

3) Some people say that you should just ignore the forums that don't interest you, but that's not always possible if you use the 'Unread posts' link as mentioned above. If you follow the forums regularly, every time there's a new post you're going to at least see the headline, and sometimes they're hard to ignore, and still waste little bits of your time that will eventually add up to a fair amount.

4) I'm not very familiar with the inner workings of vBulletin, but knowing other forum software as well as php I know that it shouldn't be too hard to make some modifications that would help out everyone. For example, you could have a forum preferences section on your profile where the user could check off the forums they want to show up when they click 'Unread posts', thus allowing them to ignore the political forum altogether. They would basically be blind to its existence, unless they went in there on their own free will. In essence, if a user unchecked one of the forums on this list it would perpetually be marked as read, never showing up when they view new threads.

This would allow people to do whatever the hell they please in the political forum, while the people that are here to get down to business don't have to deal with it at all.

Anyways, just throught I would throw this out there. Being that I only have a small fraction of posts in comparison to the majority of the people on this thread, I thought a newbie's first impressions of DNF might be of use here.

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The real problem with the political section is people not able to tell the difference between fact and opinion, then getting personal and harassing other members outside of the political section because they don't have the same beliefs.

To be honest, I don't care if the political forum stays or goes, if it goes, great, maybe some people will start posting domains for sale or buy some of mine ;) If not, well, hopefully people realize what a waste of time that forum is and still posts more domains for sale and buy some of mine :D

A poll would probably be a good idea

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's with people like you who are incapable of having a constructive debate, Members like you that can handle it when your proven wrong, Members like you who are too lazy to research the original topic and offer a rebuttal, Members like you who flame the thread to cover-up for your own ignorance.

Your posts speak for themselves.. I have YET to see one constructive post from you that deals with the original topic in all the time I've been here, NOT ONE, Just a lot flaming and degrading me and others for simply posting facts and stating our opinions.

If it's anyone's membership should be revoked, it's YOURS and members like you. :yes:

Wow. Irony.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I like Raider. I disagree with many of her political positions, but she's always been respectful towards me. She is a domainer afterall.

Melly

Pink Lover!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wow this is going to be the next biggest thread since the FattyCake post.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
4) I'm not very familiar with the inner workings of vBulletin, but knowing other forum software as well as php I know that it shouldn't be too hard to make some modifications that would help out everyone. For example, you could have a forum preferences section on your profile where the user could check off the forums they want to show up when they click 'Unread posts', thus allowing them to ignore the political forum altogether. They would basically be blind to its existence, unless they went in there on their own free will. In essence, if a user unchecked one of the forums on this list it would perpetually be marked as read, never showing up when they view new threads.

This would allow people to do whatever the hell they please in the political forum, while the people that are here to get down to business don't have to deal with it at all.

We brought this up last week, I think it's a great idea.... If it can work.

Also, if Politics is showing up in unread posts, I'm sure it can be cleared from that area as well.

But even after the Forum did that, I doubt it will stop the Libs from whining, You could deal with every issue they have and they will still find something to complain about, What this forum really needs to do is learn how to deal with crybabies.

I like Raider. I disagree with many of her political positions, but she's always been respectful towards me. She is a domainer afterall.

I just never had a reason to be disrespectful towards you, I always try to treat members the way they treat me, Besides, your a great debater and I respect good debaters, even though I sharply agree with them.

It's unfortunate we don't have more members like you in the section, it would be a much better place than it is right now if we did.

Sure about that? :?::approve::eek:

I'll compare my escrow sales to yours anyday.

Wow. Irony.

Dont you get tired of seeing out of 1 eye?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom