Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

So what's wrong with DNForum moderation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm a bit out of sync, but it seems that the mob is running DNForum instead of some sensible minds lately.

From my casual observation, this may be the result of:

a) the lack of respect for voluntary moderators (which I'm sorry to say, action has to be coming from Adam himself to revert it), and

b) an ultra "Laissez-faire" policy of moderation which has seriously hurt the "rule of law".

For a small circle of closely knit and respectable businessmen, the latter, anything goes forum management style may work. But DNForum is much bigger than that, and many quiet lurkers (who could well be your core clients) may have already been offended by those active bullying few who think they are running DNForum.

Let me cite 2 examples here:

- http://www.dnforum.com/f496/107-dom...t-ztom-net-streamsrubs-com-thread-384574.html

This guy (GUA) CLEARLY and knowingly post his "above $100" sales in the "$100 and under" section, but no action was taken.

- http://www.dnforum.com/f254/obama-wins-nobel-peace-prize-9-thread-390136.html#post1799028

This REPORTED post CLEARLY requires action. I couldn't believe any sensible moderator would think otherwise and let DNForum goes down like one of those cheap forums where kids paste a dozen pictures in a single post.

So my question is, what's wrong with DNForum moderation?

Upvote 0

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I didnt even know we had a political forum, seriously. I come here for domains, never dawned on me there would be one here.

Thats funny. I thought the same thing.

I learned along time ago, do not discuss politics and religion in a business atmosphere. It is a no win situation.

There are thousands of other forums and blogs that welcome those discussions.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
An example of how hard it is to sell at forums these days I was checking yesterday and see a majority of names I let expire and got zero bites on via the forums and other venues such as my websites were in fact puchased by others at venues like Snapnames for far more money vs the trivial amounts I would have quickly taken for them.

That has happened to some of mine I posted for sale on the forum, although I don't know how much they went for (how do you find that out?) But I kind of understand in my case, because I'm such a newbie that probably no one bothered to check out my lists.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
An example of how hard it is to sell at forums these days I was checking yesterday and see a majority of names I let expire and got zero bites on via the forums and other venues such as my websites were in fact puchased by others at venues like Snapnames for far more money vs the trivial amounts I would have quickly taken for them. I also see BuyDomains ended up getting many of my cancelled names. Really odd the marginal names do not usually sell at forums and for sale listings at auctioin sites for a fraction of the price domain sellers would have accepted. Anyone know why?

I've noticed the same with my drops. I think it would be naive to assume BuyDomains is not getting a significant discount on their purchases.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I am one of the guilty persons and I agree - shut it down.

Of course you want it shut down, Why would you want a section where criticism is increasingly being posted of a President you strongly support?

Yeah, Let's close it down and bring it back when a Republican occupies the White House right? Then we can return to the good ole days of bashing conservatives.

If this were a Republican President and we created a thread to delete or place restrictions on that section, ALL you Libs and Dems would be crying foul, claiming Republicans are trying to take your rights away.

tonyfloyd

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
^^^....WTF is wrong with this girl???...^^^

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
^^^....WTF is wrong with this girl???...^^^
Without that one particular section, she has no purpose of being alive.

She thinks its just about a president. It is not.

It is about posting a story of Dell closing a plant in my town, 900 people being put out of work, jobs going to mexico and Indonesia, and her and another moron calling me a liar and accusing me of making all of this up. Even when I posted the story and news clips from the local news, she still called me a liar.

http://www.dnforum.com/f31/f-cked-dell-thread-389907.html

Because I had enough statements (in writing) made by these people, with no obvious retraction, I had the thread closed.

When I started another thread (part deux) because there was a very good discussion going on regarding unemployment, taking of taxpayer money in the form of incentives, outsourcing, etc, she reported me as having posted a thread in an inappropriate place and had that thread closed. I contacted the Admin and had the thread reopened.

I could care less about what she and others think of me. I am not here for a popularity contest or to see how many friends I can get, or side with, or form alliances with. Sorry to say it is obvious that some people are doing exactly that and have no other place to go or actual friends.

But that was a classic example of posting a news piece and someone entering a thread to attack the person while totally disregarding what the thread was about.

She and everyone else has a right to say what ever they want. Until that line is crossed of defamation, libel, and slander. Eh, she's not the only one. There was another prick in that particular thread who levied the same charges against me and claimed to have reported me to Dell's legal team for making a false statement, lying, and so on. Again, even when links were posted of actual news footage and a Dell spokesperson on camera making those some exact statements I was called a liar and "making sh*t up".

I'm too busy in life with more important things in life to deal with a couple of morons.

So the issue is, if this type of behavior is allowed to prevail and if there is a particular spot where this behavior is done, then it only stands to reason to shut it down.

Once more, the mods or administrator should not have to be bothered with or have to spend time monitoring discussions and behavior of matters unrelated to domaining on a domaining forum.

0079124900401_215X215.jpg

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Apparently weed is being legalized for medical purposes, so maybe you all should get a dose and mellow out.
I am already mellow. Once again, wtf does that have to do with anything?

I am quite mellow. Laughing, actually, at your objection to my post.

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Getrdun!

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trader
An example of how hard it is to sell at forums these days I was checking yesterday and see a majority of names I let expire and got zero bites on via the forums and other venues such as my websites were in fact puchased by others at venues like Snapnames for far more money vs the trivial amounts I would have quickly taken for them. I also see BuyDomains ended up getting many of my cancelled names. Really odd the marginal names do not usually sell at forums and for sale listings at auctioin sites for a fraction of the price domain sellers would have accepted. Anyone know why?

The short answer to this is very simple...

A large majority of major buyers from drops have too much money and not enough brains. These are " pioneers " and men we look up to. They have almost no real sense of value and rather over pay on drops then spend time and search the forums. Sure they have incredible generic portfolios, keep in mind they had some foresight to get in early and CHEAP! Now they grossly over pay daily to pad portfolios and do something, otherwise they have nothing to do or contribute. When is the last time they hunted for names, picked up a phone or spent hours on the forums? Ever offer a premium name to these " pioneers ", don't bother, they are worse than a pawn business and while it is one thing to be cheap and low ball, I am starting to think they still believe they are in 1996 but that quickly is erased when you offer to buy their name(s) lol its 2025!

Their price for ignorance is $$$$$$$, let them have it.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Really odd the marginal names do not usually sell at forums and for sale listings at auctioin sites for a fraction of the price domain sellers would have accepted. Anyone know why?
It reminds me of the antiques trade. An item will sit and not sell but at auction, suddenly it is a gem because 1, 2, 3, 10, 15 people are suddenly bidding on it. If so-and-so is on it then it must be great.

And if an item has a provenance of someone notable, god forbid...the sky is the limit.

This recently happened when I approached someone notable for an LLL.(cctld) that was quite non-descript, was not even a high powered premium - ... the response I got was "our LLL.(cctld) start at one thousand dollars".

Anywhere else this would be available for a hundred or less.

I guess it was all provenance - who had owned or who currently owned it.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ok, I have followed this string until in ran off topic.

Is the consensus that trhe political section should go and that the mod team should moderate more strictly?

-=DCG=-

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My opinions may not be a true reflection of my mental capacity, the current Rick Latona banner is still scrolling and causing nausia.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think its amazing that on so many topics we can all agree to disagree... :pound:

we need to help the mods...think before you type!!! JMO

FormerDnForumer

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ok, I have followed this string until in ran off topic.

Is the consensus that trhe political section should go and that the mod team should moderate more strictly?

-=DCG=-

Honestly, if you just revoke Raider's membership, you could probably keep the political forum without much objection. She really is that irritating to the vast number of people here.

But if you have to ditch politics, and she's stops posting, I'd be thrilled, personally.

DomainScoop.Com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
this is Laughable Thread, some people get mad of being the thread closed, some just make threads out of nothing, some just do the mod work when they should not be bothered at first place themselves, its just crazy

I laugh at each comment I read, that how you guys are frustrated on these things, come on, we have better things to do and to be frustrated on hahaha.........but this is entertaining for me...

keep up guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom