Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Someone tried to Steal one of my domains today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilze

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Today, someone created a registrant with a domain I own. and they added an Inc. at the end of the
Registrant. Then, they started a Registrant transfer to steal the domain. ..When I received the Registrant transfer notice, I logged into my Cira account, I saw who was trying to steal my domain. Of course, I rejected it.
For example, they created a rant that said.....QueenMother.ca Inc. to try to steal QueenMother.ca It looked pretty legit to my Registrar, My very, very dependable and Reliable registrar asked them if I was a willing participant and they replied "yes", so the Registrar went ahead and initiated the transfer. It seems, that there has been a rash of fraudulent Transfer requests lately. My Registrar has offered to put in one more approval for my account, before any more Domain transfers are started.I wonder what CIRA would do if I transferred it away in error, as I often approve bulk transfers.....probably not much...So, a heads up out there....qm

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They will have payment details on hand no? And would that reliable and trustworthy registrar be namespro by chance?

Ilze

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They will have payment details on hand no? And would that reliable and trustworthy registrar be namespro by chance?

Yes, and thank Goodness that they are my registrar...anyone that uses another registrar just does not have the personal touch to handle these kinds of issues. Without going into
details, they took a step further to make sure the theives knew the law about Internet Fraud.

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it all worked out QM :D

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Namespro is an excellent registrar. I have no problem paying more per domain than anywhere else. They are reliable and trustworthy.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Today, someone created a registrant with a domain I own. and they added an Inc. at the end of the
Registrant. Then, they started a Registrant transfer to steal the domain. ..When I received the Registrant transfer notice, I logged into my Cira account, I saw who was trying to steal my domain. Of course, I rejected it.
For example, they created a rant that said.....QueenMother.ca Inc. to try to steal QueenMother.ca It looked pretty legit to my Registrar, My very, very dependable and Reliable registrar asked them if I was a willing participant and they replied "yes", so the Registrar went ahead and initiated the transfer. It seems, that there has been a rash of fraudulent Transfer requests lately. My Registrar has offered to put in one more approval for my account, before any more Domain transfers are started.I wonder what CIRA would do if I transferred it away in error, as I often approve bulk transfers.....probably not much...So, a heads up out there....qm

Think of what will happen when CIRA starts to use EPP codes.:sigh:

At least with the current system there is the opportunity for the registrar to step in and slow things down.

CanSpace

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
With EPP codes the onus is entirely on the owner. If someone has managed to 'steal' your EPP code then they could indeed steal the domain without the registrar's intervention. However to be realistic, to get your code they would probably have to have access to your email address, in which case they could steal the domain with the current system anyway.

I haven't seen to many scams like this... but then again we get very few requests to transfer-away in general :cheesy:

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It could still be an opportunity for the registrar to add an extra layer of security before the auth code is released...

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With EPP codes the onus is entirely on the owner. If someone has managed to 'steal' your EPP code then they could indeed steal the domain without the registrar's intervention. However to be realistic, to get your code they would probably have to have access to your email address, in which case they could steal the domain with the current system anyway.

I haven't seen to many scams like this... but then again we get very few requests to transfer-away in general :cheesy:

We get these requests on a regular basis.

The issue of someone "stealing" an EPP code is perhaps easier than you might think. Consider how many people have their domains registered under free e-mail services such as Yahoo!, G-mail or Hotmail: for the right price every one of those can be cracked open for you.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators