Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Something Is Very "rotten" At Snapnames!

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct place to lament the loss of a domain under very suspicious circumstances. If not, would mod please move to proper spot on the "Drop Catchers" discussion.

I maintain extensive lists, setup on a monthly basis, of hundreds of domains. If I see an expired domain, I check to see if it is listed yet at NameJet (registrars are Enom, NSI, DNC, Name, etc.) or SnapNames (Moniker, Tucows, Domain, Big Rock, PDR, etc.)

I went through my Feb. list on March 31st, two days ago, and saw once again that WeTrust.com had expired and that Domain.com's nameservers reflected this status. So I checked at SN to see if it was listed yet (I do this routinely, every ten days. So the last two times I had previously checked were March 21st and March 11th; both times WeTrust.com was not listed at SN!) Well, when I checked two days ago it was still not listed.

Lo and behold, WeTrust.com had somehow become backordered by two bidders last night at SN! I noticed it early this morning and saw that the sale was "closed"!?

I've been tracking this domain for years and I really do not care how many bidders there would have been or how high the price would have gone! Under normal circumstances, in the end, that domain would have been mine!

Anxious to see who finally gets it!

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
so what's rotten at snapnames?

did you ever put in a backorder for the domain?

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No. I only place BO's on domains that are "active" in the system!

My main point is that WeTrust.com was never listed for auction, even two days ago. And suddenly it appeared as sold this morning. Almost all expired domains are listed for a period of 30 days or more.

It all "reeks" of collusion and possibly favoritism!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No. I only place BO's on domains that are "active" in the system!

My main point is that WeTrust.com was never listed for auction, even two days ago. And suddenly it appeared as sold this morning. Almost all expired domains are listed for a period of 30 days or more.

It all "reeks" of collusion and possibly favoritism!

if you had placed a BO there and was never included in the auction, then.... i could feel your pain

as backorders can be made at anytime.

imo....

Dushan Savich

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you were really after the domain that badly you should have placed a back order the moment you wanted it and waited for it to drop. You may have miscalculated its drop date, different registrars have pending delete periods or grace periods.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I noticed many of the highest quality domains expiring from Domain.com not going through pre-release at all. This was about a year ago, not sure if this is still the case but one company always became the new owner of all the good ones. No prerelease, no auction.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I noticed many of the highest quality domains expiring from Domain.com not going through pre-release at all.
I noticed that too, and not just with 'great' names.

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And I believe Registrar Ads handled all the domain sales for Dotster.com (Domain.com)!

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe a lot of it was based upon traffic/ppc, which names went that route. That would also explain why some of the seemingly not-so-great ones went directly to them too. They probably made their reg fee or greater.

This kind of thing is something ICANN should regulate.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators