• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

closed SovietGeorgia.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fab

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2004
Messages
3,554
Reaction score
2
Hey, I just registered SovietGeorgia . com, .net, .org .info.

Thoughts please.
 
May I ask what idea is covered behind this name, i.e. history, music?
 
There's a war going on over there right now between Russia and Georgia.

Right, but why 'soviet'?

Ps.
You know that Soviet Union is now Russia and former "soviet Goergia" is now Republic of Georgia, you can call it now post-soviet if you like, but an independent country?
 
Last edited:
Yes, true, but still some people relate to it as soviet georgia. Take a look at the link I provided. If it was still called soviet georgia, I would have no doubts, and wouldn't need to post.
 
You'll make the most out of it if you develop the .com into a historical site about Georgia while it was under Soviet rule but I think you wasted your money on the other tlds, just forward them to the .com
 
You'll make the most out of it if you develop the .com into a historical site about Georgia while it was under Soviet rule but I think you wasted your money on the other tlds, just forward them to the .com

Thanks for your advice. I've forwarded the other tld's, yes maybe a waste of money, hopefully not. I put up a blog in the meantime.
 
Yes, true, but still some people relate to it as soviet georgia. Take a look at the link I provided. If it was still called soviet georgia, I would have no doubts, and wouldn't need to post.

A historical site is the only solution I think. People relate to this expression in searches but it has no future except historical one, IMHO.
It's definitely a name which demand 'narrow topic' development (or reg fee waster).
Sounds strange and unpleasant for the people from the region of former USSR.

By the way, Georgians are not so happy due to this name, I guess :rolleyes:
 
Ok, thanks for the input. All I need is a historian freak now.
 
Ok, thanks for the input. All I need is a historian freak now.

When you put a domain up for appraisal, you're bound to hear from different people; some might be "historian [sic] freaks"

You registered a compound that defines the geographic region that while being part of Georgia it falls within the current boundaries of Russia; as Georgia was larger in the past. Now, bear in mind that a lot of the results on Google appear to be listing "ex-Soviet Georgia" or "post-Soviet Georgia", in which case that's a different meaning.

The bottom line is: this is not a newsworthy domain, it's a historical one.
 
When you put a domain up for appraisal, you're bound to hear from different people; some might be "historian [sic] freaks"

You registered a compound that defines the geographic region that while being part of Georgia it falls within the current boundaries of Russia; as Georgia was larger in the past. Now, bear in mind that a lot of the results on Google appear to be listing "ex-Soviet Georgia" or "post-Soviet Georgia", in which case that's a different meaning.

The bottom line is: this is not a newsworthy domain, it's a historical one.

No problem paying a couple of bucks for learning. My thought was that Americans especially generally still do a search for "Soviet Georgia" in order to find info regarding the Republic of Georgia.
 
My thought was that Americans especially generally still do a search for "Soviet Georgia" in order to find info regarding the Republic of Georgia.
Sounds odd to me. I would not search for Soviet Estonia or Latvia. However I can understand where you're coming from. This is to avoid results pertaining to the US state of Georgia.
But 'republic of georgia' seems to get more searches.
Anyway, the Georgians aren't going to like this name :shy:
 
Sounds odd to me. I would not search for Soviet Estonia or Latvia. However I can understand where you're coming from. This is to avoid results pertaining to the US state of Georgia.
But 'republic of georgia' seems to get more searches.
Anyway, the Georgians aren't going to like this name

That's why I provided the Google link. Apparently Americans (at least some) still search that way. BTW, the RepublicofGeorgia was taken years ago, so no bargain there.
 
By the way - I suppose one Georgian who would be so happy keeping this 'Soviet Georgia' alive - Joseph Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili vel Joseph Stalin :rockon:
 
I dropped all extensions except .com, which I'm considering.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom