Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Stargate

Status
Not open for further replies.

..did not register Stargate.US !!!

I am shocked. Someone else took it.

Stargate is my choice of Registrar, BTW.

Domain summit 2024
M

mike

Timer, I've been following your Stargate thread and posts with some interest since I have regged about 20 with them recently. Out of curiosity I checked Stargate.com's whois.
They regged their .com way back in 1986!

It is incredible and a bit disturbing that they are in the domain biz and wouldn't take the .us! Somebody there was asleep at the while. Quite a little foupa!

A few quick questions for you, Timechange if you don't mind.

How does the bulk account requirements work?
I mean like would I be able to apply the 20 I've regged with them so far to the min. bulk req. of 50? Or Did you have to pay for the 50 upfront , then draw the funds down?

You seem happy with them. I sure would like to settle on a cheap, reliable, and trustworthy registrar. Maybe Stargate is it.

I am going to be keeping my eye on them
Thanks for the thread.

Ok.

First, the Stargate.com story.

Stargate.com was the 2nd domain ever registered, after ATT.com !
The previous owner sold it to StargateInc for $XXXXX and thus Stargate.com owns now a part of Internet history!

About the bulk account, I could only afford shelling out for 51 domains to get the fixed $8 rate. So I paid that much up front. The $8 you can use as credits, at any time, and they are good for domain registrations, renewals or transfers from other Registrars!

Also, once you run out of credits, you can buy any number of credits you want at the same rate ($8 for me per the example above). In other words, your initial purchase determines the fixed pricing.

chris

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by timechange
Stargate.com was the 2nd domain ever registered, after ATT.com !

timechange,

If memory serves me correctly, think.edu was the first domain name ever registered (though it doesn't seem to be registered now).

Since there's no whois data for think.edu, I can't provide proof at this second. But, you can search through the whois database and see that hp.com, ibm.com, and sun.com were all created more than one month before att.com.

----------------------
Records Created:
----------------------
hp.com: 03-Mar-1986
ibm.com: 19-Mar-1986
sun.com: 19-Mar-1986
att.com: 25-Apr-1986

M

mike

First, Thanks TimeChange. You clearly explained the Stargate Bulk deal. I'm thinking about doing it.

Second, Chris and timer, I don't want to dwell on it too much, but I recall reading that the first .com registered was by some company working on the Arpanet project or something. I can't remember what it was, but it definately wasn't any of your guesses. Would make a great Domain trivia question if we knew the answer.

Originally posted by mike
First, Thanks TimeChange. You clearly explained the Stargate Bulk deal. I'm thinking about doing it.

Second, Chris and timer, I don't want to dwell on it too much, but I recall reading that the first .com registered was by some company working on the Arpanet project or something. I can't remember what it was, but it definately wasn't any of your guesses. Would make a great Domain trivia question if we knew the answer.

That was Stargate.com :D It was a child project of ATT.com

Here's the story that I believe. I lived through it...

From Hobbes' Internet Timeline v5.6.

The year is 1985. The DNS was invented in 1984.

Symbolics.com is assigned on 15 March to become the first registered domain. Other firsts: cmu.edu, purdue.edu, rice.edu, berkeley.edu, ucla.edu, rutgers.edu, bbn.com (24 Apr); mit.edu (23 May); think.com (24 may); css.gov (June); mitre.org, .uk (July)

Also supported here:

http://www.wia.org/dns-law/pub/timeline.html

-t

Weird, I swear that the original Stargate.com web site cited a different story. But thanks for the pointers!

M

mike

Symbolics.com, thats the one! Recognized it right away as soon as I saw it in Timechanges post.

M

mike

I will diligently strive not to make such posting fopas in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators