Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld Still plenty of one-word .ca's left to be registered...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to think up a cool-sounding brandable name recently - what I'm going to use it for is a bit of a long story.

I then concluded that "beckon" was probably the strongest word to use for this brand. Short, two syllables, is a verb, has very limited plural confusion, and just sounds cool.

The thought then ran through my head, "I wonder who owns it?", being so certain that it was taken.

So, I type it in, and it resolved to the Rogers search page, which usually happens for a domain name that doesn't exist.

Certain that it was just a mistyped nameserver, I looked it up on the whois.

And, to my complete surprise, it was available to register!

I'm extremely thankful for this, as I was counting on it costing an arm and a leg for me to buy.

This also happened with another concept I thought up a couple of months ago, with the term "reconsider"; managed to secure "reconsider" in .ca.

If I had the time, I'd look up more and more single words to see what else can be landed. That was just astonishing to be able to get this name.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it isn't an obvious commercial word in .ca, then you never know, it might be available or slip through a TBR. Also words that end in -ing, -ed. There is a lot of range in quality for 'one word'.

But I understand your feeling of surprise. Just yesterday I was able to hand reg PittMeadowsHomes(.)com - City of close to 20,000 near Vancouver, to me that .com domain shouldn't have been available.

Puckerhuddle

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I hand registered Dundas.ca a few months ago. It had slipped past the TBR. I couldn't believe it. I also live close to there and have a sister that lives in that community. I hope to have it developed by early 2013.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I had the time, I'd look up more and more single words to see what else can be landed. That was just astonishing to be able to get this name.

There are plenty of domains to be gotten, the question is which ones will still be worth having after all the work.

Last edited:

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hand registered Dundas.ca a few months ago. It had slipped past the TBR. I couldn't believe it. I also live close to there and have a sister that lives in that community. I hope to have it developed by early 2013.

Oh wow! Good going :)

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Good score - i know where it is and im surprised no one grabbed it.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

have always lived in the area, and actually lived right in Dundas for 6 years.

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not that I'm trying to rain on your parade or anything, but would the city of Dundas have a case against you under CIRA's policy that all municipalities are entitled to the matching .ca of their own name?

They've gotten by all this time without it, but I'm just curious as to how this policy gets upheld.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not that I'm trying to rain on your parade or anything, but would the city of Dundas have a case against you under CIRA's policy that all municipalities are entitled to the matching .ca of their own name?

They've gotten by all this time without it, but I'm just curious as to how this policy gets upheld.

It stopped being a protected name a few years ago, and someone used Pool to hold the registration after it was released, before our friend was later able to register it.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It stopped being a protected name a few years ago, and someone used Pool to hold the registration after it was released, before our friend was later able to register it.

Very interesting info. Thanks for sharing. Is this information available elsewhere?? Not that I don't trust you msn.. but to know where to look for it.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sure, buy a server, copy everything.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it's because of Amalgamation in Ontario from the late 1990's/early 2000's.

An example from some previous pure geo.ca whois queries...Greely was it's own little town but them amalgamated with Ottawa

Now greely.ca forwards to vanityemails.ca where you can buy your own @greely.ca email address

Don't know the whole story, but I think that because these little towns and villages don't "oficially" exist anymore, they can be owned by anyone

And if you can trust Wikipedia, here's some info about Dundas...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundas,_Ontario
Dundas /ˈdʌnˌdæs/ is a formerly independent town and now constituent community in the city of Hamilton in Ontario, Canada.
(...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton,_Ontario
(...)
On January 1, 2001, the new city of Hamilton was formed from the forced amalgamation of the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth and its six municipalities: Ancaster, Dundas, Flamborough, Glanbrook, and Stoney Creek.[9] Before amalgamation, the "old" City of Hamilton had 331,121 Hamiltonians divided into 100 neighbourhoods. The new amalgamated city has 490,268 people in over 100 old neighbourhoods, and surrounding communities.[20]
(...)

(bolding mine)

Last edited:

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it's because of Amalgamation in Ontario from the late 1990's/early 2000's.

An example from some previous pure geo.ca whois queries...Greely was it's own little town but them amalgamated with Ottawa

Now greely.ca forwards to vanityemails.ca where you can buy your own @greely.ca email address

Don't know the whole story, but I think that because these little towns and villages don't "oficially" exist anymore, they can be owned by anyone

And if you can trust Wikipedia, here's some info about Dundas...

(bolding mine)

CIRA kept a list of every third level community and reserved the matching name - which is why names like lincoln and viking were reserved until they migrated from their provincial level domains - until many were dissolved, amalgamated or otherwise made history.

Puckerhuddle

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dunnville.ca recently came through the tbr and I got into a bit of a bidding war at Sibername for it. I dropped out at $401.00. it would seem that the new municipalities are not renewing the names of their former towns. I am a bit surprised that they have not treated these names as assets that could be sold.

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dunnville.ca recently came through the tbr and I got into a bit of a bidding war at Sibername for it. I dropped out at $401.00. it would seem that the new municipalities are not renewing the names of their former towns. I am a bit surprised that they have not treated these names as assets that could be sold.

Or to retain them as income-generating online properties. Plenty of opportunity to sell online ad space and such.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And, to my complete surprise, it was available to register!
There are many names that I search for in .com, .net, .org and are all taken - that are available in .ca - it is a shame that I can't register them.

Idnik

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Noises.ca, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom