Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Susan K. Boyle to cash in on Susan Boyle's success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A Texan artist is cashing in on the success of her Britain's Got Talent namesake, Susan Boyle, by selling her web address.

Susan K. Boyle, of Kerryville, was amazed when thousands of visitors descended on her site, susanboyle.com, in April.
After receiving dozens of offers for the domain she decided to offer it for $25,000 through Sedo, a domain marketing company.
Mrs Boyle said: "The week after she first sang, the counter on my website read 58,000 - that is the cumulative number since 2002.
"Normally I get less than 2,000 hits per year but the current count is more than 170,000."
Sedo's director of business development, Nora Nanayakkara, said: "Names like this are not really something we would recommend.
"The value of it really depends on the sustainability of Susan Boyle's popularity and whether she's just a one hit wonder."
The Scottish singer is among 33 of the ITV contest's 40 semi-finalists whose names have been registered by so-called cybersquatters, either on Twitter or as web addresses.
They include belly dancer Julie Naidenko and singing schoolboy Shaheen Jafargholi.
Fan site susanboyle.co.uk is directing visitors to betting and bingo sites and seven Twitter users are pretending to be the Scottish songstress.
Nominet, the company responsible for .co.uk addresses, registers 50,000 domains a month and receives 50 complaints about the unfair use of domains.
Senior legal adviser Nick Wenban-Smith said: "The most common use has been with words and brand names which attract a lot of internet traffic."

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So if Susdan Boyle wins BGT she'll only have to spend a 1/4 of her winnings to get her name lol

Thaitime

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Have a look on you tube at the number of 'views' her first show produced.

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the hype will die down in a few months, so its better to sell the site now IMO... i would never pay anything like $25k for it, but i can see why some people might...
I must admit I was one of the people straight after she performed seeing if susanboyle.com was registered!

NetworkMsia

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
will it have trademark name problems ?

--------------------------------------

Sigourney Weaver Wins Domain Name Dispute
Actress Sigourney Weaver has been awarded the domain name SigourneyWeaver.com by an arbitration panel at National Arbitration Forum. She filed the claim last month.
Source: http://domainnamewire.com/

Last edited:

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If your use becomes that which profits from her image, perhaps but at this point the current owner imo is not at risk.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it is a little stupid for the “American artist Susan Boyle” to sell her domain. Her name is the central brand of what she does. If she was smart, she would revamp her site and it would pay off way further than $25k. Someone at Sedo gave her stupid advice. What would she buy to recover: SusanDoesArt.com? Common.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it is a little stupid for the “American artist Susan Boyle” to sell her domain. Her name is the central brand of what she does. If she was smart, she would revamp her site and it would pay off way further than $25k. Someone at Sedo gave her stupid advice. What would she buy to recover: SusanDoesArt.com? Common.

What?

You really think people search for her art via her name without already knowing her one way or another.

She's no Monet :lol:

That name doesnt make her a penny imo.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What?

You really think people search for her art via her name without already knowing her one way or another.

She's no Monet :lol:

That name doesnt make her a penny imo.

No. But she could use the opportunity to further herself as an artist. Plus, art is a matter of opinion. Someone will buy them. She will still be an artist after the sale. Why sell out on your own name?? $25k is nothing.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've had websites trounced by the digg effect and pounded by others like twitter, but my press release website had some smart character include her name in the title of his press release... it stayed number one on google news and and the top of google.com for about a week during the madness! That traffic was intense - only wish I had the jewel (her direct name).

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
her art is no good imo, so cash in now, the hype will die down, so cash in I say

chillking

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the domain name is safe with the current owner now but who ever buy's the domain could easly get took to court because it's to obvious that some one will buy it in bad faith only to get traffic from the singers success who ever buys it is taking a huge gamble .

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yeah, domain is definitely safe with the current site... no question about that! agreed, big gamble to buy it, but at an asking price of $25k, i don't think any serious domainer would buy it though.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
She should've sold it at the hype...too late now.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think Susan Boyle is really that great of a singer..she is okay.

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No she's not that good... Its just the media reaction to her... ' ugly, fat, middle aged woman' that can sing a bit! But I disagree with rockefellers comment that the hype is over... With the final coming up and the hype of whether she will quit the show I think it isn't too late to sell
Posted via Mobile Device

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No she's not that good... Its just the media reaction to her... ' ugly, fat, middle aged woman' that can sing a bit! But I disagree with rockefellers comment that the hype is over... With the final coming up and the hype of whether she will quit the show I think it isn't too late to sell
Posted via Mobile Device

There's been over 900 visitors to Sedo's offer page and 0 offers. It would've sold by now if someone wanted it at 25k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators