Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

T.r.a.f.f.i.c. 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

hifi2

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WTG Duke, excellent coverage!!

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
Just wanted to let everyone know that our 2nd report covering today's activities will be posted very late tonight. ......
You might want to plan on enjoying it with your Saturday morning coffee!

Duke, I took your recommendation and read your article while drinking my
Saturday morning coffee.

You write your best articles under deadline and without sleep! :-D

Seriously, it was very well done.

We all look forward to your wrap up on Sunday after you get some sleep.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duke is THE MAN!

Not only did he do all of this, he caught NAZ.INFO a couple of hours after hitting the sack!

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
Duke's wife says that he sleeps with one hand on his laptop keyboard. :laugh:

What about the other hand :laugh:?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:
Not only did he do all of this, he caught NAZ.INFO a couple of hours after hitting the sack!

Yes, but no worries, I understand it can be cleared up with non-prescription medication. :)

Just got back home from the show (4 hour drive). Will probably catch a nap then do the piece on this morning's closing session. Some interesting information came out of that. It was great to meet so many people face to face - wish there had been more time to spend with each one but those 3 days flew. There are dozens of other people on this board I would like to meet. I expect now that the ice has been broken trade shows will become a permanent part of the landscape in this business. Edwin had a post about the positive impact this one will have in another thread that I think was right on the money.

Promediary

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It appears that I'm the first to return home from the T.R.A.F.F.I.C. Conference, so allow me seize the moment to share my impressions. It's a preview of what you will likely read and hear from everyone -- yes, everyone -- who attended.

I didn't go with lofty expectations. After all, few, if any, first year trade show events hit a high note. And year-two events are most often refined from criticisms, shortcomings and outright blunders experienced in year-one. Not this time.

Simply stated, T.R.A.F.F.I.C. 2004 was a landmark achievement -- one of those rare moments in time where your instincts whisper, then shout, that you've been privileged to be at the epicenter of something really special, if not historical. I think we all left feeling that a heretofore loosely bound marketplace of fractured interests, faceless screen-names, distant transactioners and often contentious personalities suddenly crystallized into an industry, invigorated by the energy of common interest, congeniality, collegial cooperation and possibilities.

Imagine ... fiercely competitive PPC providers like DomainSponsor, Sedo and Fabulous huddling to find common ground in an effort to uplift the state of the industry; and candidly acknowledging that their own solutions are not always the best choice for optimal monetization ... Reps from Overture and Google listening, at last, to the gripes, needs and wishes of domainers and publishers ... Even Pool GM Taryn Naidu bowed to harsh criticisms with uncharacteristic humility, acknowledged the folly of its corporate arrogance, and pledged, seemingly in earnest, to reevaluate its sealed bid program and build more congenial relationships with its clients. (This is not your cue to crap on this thread with cynical rants. Give 'em a chance. Then rant, if need be.)

It's easy, if not somewhat inherent, to misperceive those amongst us as mere avitars in a digital marketplace. Yet today, I see them -- and you -- with fresh eyes. The domainers I met at the Traffic Conference were remarkably sharp, personable and forward-thinking business people with highly sophisticated business models and visionary blueprints. All were approachable, cordial and an absolute joy to get to know. Really decent people, worth knowing. And what I learned from them in three days, by simply listening, dwarfs almost all I had learned before.

I point this up, in particular, to caution each of you against sniping impatiently at fellow members. This marketplace is comprised of real people, not just faceless screen names and avatars. And the odds are better than good that most know more than you do, and would sooner share that knowledge than partake in online pissing contests.

Surely, Rick Schwartz makes a worthy and familiar target for vitriol. His ego and bombast is often intolerable. But I tell you, without reservation, Rick's got his thumb squarely on the pulse of this industry and his forefinger pointed squarely at a renaissance of prosperity for savvy, forward-thinking domainers.

What he and Howard Neu pulled-off this week was remarkable. In the span of three days, 125 seemingly self-absorbed power domainers from throughout the world, along with key vendors, converged at the busy intersection of competitive interests and common ground, and celebrated not what is, but rather what can be accomplished in a collegial working environment. And what transpired will ultimately benefit everyone, including you.

As for the event itself, in a word, perfect. Those who plunked-down big money to attend were fed like kings, fattened like dogs, freely boozed and "broadly" entertained. No reasonable expense was spared to make this a first-class affair and create an environment which was conducive to the business of doing business.

If you missed the event, don't miss the next.

Those who know me -- including my own kids -- know that I am not generally predisposed to tossing around gratuitous praise. It tends to dilute and trivialize the real purpose of recognition. But when merited by outstanding deed or performance, I am the generally first to stand and applaud. And so it is that I rise and say to Rick, Howard and the conference sponsors and participants who contributed so much more than mere money, THANK YOU for a job well done!

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
clemzonguy said:
Thanks for the update. I was anticipating it all day.
Rick & Howard do not appear as scary as people say.
Someone get me a Pool T-shirt!

I got an XL Pool t-shirt, which is too big for me. What size do you take?

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It was an amazing few days. It was definitely worth the trip, the time, and the expense. For me it was not all joy and celebration, there was a lot of pain as well. When you work in isolation and anonymity, you have a very narrow perspective within which to judge your results. This conference was an eye-opener, to say the least. I had to change my DNForum title. When I call myself a moron I am half joking, but half deadly serious. I wear the label with pride, but also with the full knowledge I must work on finding a cure for the condition. I had to completely re-evaluate my goals and my path to reach them.

I want to write a long message about the experience and how it has radically changed my thinking, but at the moment I am very tired and need to decompress and reflect for a few days.

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hiOsilver said:
I got an XL Pool t-shirt, which is too big for me. What size do you take?

Well if clemzonguy doesn't want it, it would fit me! And I'll happily pay postage.

Thanks.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Promediary said:
It appears that I'm the first to return home from the T.R.A.F.F.I.C. Conference, so allow me seize the moment to share my impressions. It's a preview of what you will likely read and hear from everyone -- yes, everyone -- who attended.

Simply stated, T.R.A.F.F.I.C. 2004 was a landmark achievement -- one of those rare moments in time where your instincts whisper, then shout, that you've been privileged to be at the epicenter of something really special, if not historical. .

And so it is that I rise and say to Rick, Howard and the conference sponsors and participants who contributed so much more than mere money, THANK YOU for a job well done!

Scott, well said. And Duke, it was great meeting you in person. Thanks for your your usual excellent reporting.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hiOsilver said:
Scott, well said. And Duke, it was great meeting you in person.

Likewise Howard, though I'm trying to figure out why you spent all of your time at the dinner last night with Michelle of BuyDomains instead of me. I am just as much fun to be around. She has nothing on me accept about 250,000 domains and incredibly good looks. :)

By the way - the report on today's closing session has now been posted:

http://www.dnjournal.com/columns/traffic2004-day3.htm

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Could you post a picture of Michelle here, duke? Did she wear a hat and cape?

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great content Duke. Thank you so much for your hard work.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Could you post a picture of Michelle here, duke?

Shame on you Mole. This is a professional domain forum, not a haven for voyeurs (besides I am keeping those pictures for myself). :)

Promediary

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
Shame on you Mole. This is a professional domain forum, not a haven for voyeurs (besides I am keeping those pictures for myself). :)

As Ron can affirm, I've got the pics :cheeky:

Bids?

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Promediary said:
As Ron can affirm, I've got the pics

PG or G ? If PG $1000 DNF, If X $2000 DNF :cheeky:

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how many pics?

*goes to check how much he has in his paypal account* :wink:

In all seriousness, sounds like it was a great conference. I hope you all had a great time and will see me there in the years to come.

Darren06

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the articles Duke. It was an enjoyable read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom