Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

T.r.a.f.f.i.c. 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Promediary

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mole said:
PG or G ? If PG $1000 DNF, If X $2000 DNF :cheeky:

Staged PG, but hardly volume #1 of "Domainers Gone Wild."

Let's not get carried away, folks. Michelle's a professional. It's all in good fun.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the .com is available.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DaddyHalbucks said:
$995 for the DVD set?

LOL.
LOL. $995 for a DVD set.

It looks like TRAFFIC 2004 was a success however for me, and many others to take it seriously I think ticket prices need to be drastically reduced.

I mean $1500 – $5000 is just insane; I could go on a nice luxury holiday for that.

Sure, having ticket prices set that high eliminates ‘non serious’ domainers from attending however it also eliminates many ‘serious, but not prepared to be ripped off’ domainers such as myself.

Also, do you think it’s a wise idea to price out the smaller player? Let’s be honest, collectively it’s those smaller players that drive this industry not the 130 people who attended this conference, elite meeting or whatever it was.

BTW, Duke, I’ve been dying to ask… did you pay for your ticket or did you get it free? :evil:

- Rob

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TISSCA said:
...however for me, and many others to take it seriously I think ticket prices need to be drastically reduced.

I mean $1500 – $5000 is just insane; I could go on a nice luxury holiday for that.

I don't want to put myself in the position of defending or speaking for the organizers, but I think "high" ticket prices turned out to be a very wise move. In my opinion the event could not have been successful without such a barrier to entry. On the web you can create a very professional presence for almost nothing. You can begin to reap rewards immediately, and if your judgement is good parlay that into a real income. But everyone on the web knows that appearances can be deceiving. On the other hand, many phenomenally successful people in this business choose to keep a very low profile, and you may not have ever heard their names. The entry fee affords a default position of credibility. It says you are serious about what you do. I don't know of another place on earth where multi-millionaire (many times over) business people would walk up to me and be genuinely interested in who I am and what I do. (I am not yet a multi-millionaire, by the way.)

...it also eliminates many ‘serious, but not prepared to be ripped off’ domainers such as myself.

I watch expenses very closely, and I don't think I was ripped off. If you don't see value in attending, then you might choose not to spend the money. It may be the right decision for you. On the other hand maybe you can't afford NOT to go, in which case the expense is well justified.

...it’s those smaller players that drive this industry not the 130 people who attended this conference, elite meeting or whatever it was.

I might have agreed with you a week ago, but not today. The big players (some of whom attended and some of whom did not) do most of the driving. The small players survive because of how well the services targeted to the big players scale to different size businesses.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
chatcher said:
The entry fee affords a default position of credibility. It says you are serious about what you do

So you paid $1500 - $5000 to buy credibility? What is this world coming to? (bah)

catcher said:
On the other hand maybe you can't afford NOT to go, in which case the expense is well justified

So what exactly did you get for your $1500 - $5000, besides credibility?

catcher said:
I might have agreed with you a week ago, but not today. The big players (some of whom attended and some of whom did not) do most of the driving. The small players survive because of how well the services targeted to the big players scale to different size businesses.

I disagree.

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TISSCA said:
So you paid $1500 - $5000 to buy credibility? What is this world coming to? (bah)

I guess the short answer is yes.

So what exactly did you get for your $1500 - $5000, besides credibility?

Food, drinks, entertainment, t-shirts and stuff, contacts, information, and ideas. The information alone was worth the cost, and the ideas will probably pay for next year's event.

I disagree.

It doesn't really matter who or why.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think Traffic is a great idea.

And, it should be successful in the future depending on how the new directors
steer the organization. If they make it an elitist organization. It will burn out.

My only complaint about Traffic 2004 was that they elliminated some. And, they/he
gave an economic advantage to "his" club members. If you want to create an organizational atmosphere then treat ALL of US as equals.

Eventhough, I am a small player in this business. I would like to be treated with respect
thru equality.

Realistically, $850, $1,000, or $1,250 (depending on your class position) is not a bad
price depending on the final content of the meetings.

(OK, I am done complaining!)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TISSCA said:
BTW, Duke, I’ve been dying to ask… did you pay for your ticket or did you get it free?

Hi Rob:

I did not have a ticket. I went to the show as a reporter, not a registrant. I stayed at a different hotel and covered only the business sessions. I did not go to any of the meals or social events, with the exception of the Friday night dinner and went then only because I was invited and there was a news reason for going (the awards were presented at that function).

The vast majority of people would have paid $850-$1250 to register. Before the show I would not have paid that fee for a first time event. Having seen the value attendees received from the show I can now say a fee in that range would have been worth it.

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
...If they make it an elitist organization. It will burn out.

My only complaint about Traffic 2004 was that they elliminated some. And, they/he
gave an economic advantage to "his" club members. If you want to create an organizational atmosphere then treat ALL of US as equals.

Members of Rick's board paid lower prices. And that fact was advertised to everyone before registering. It could have been kept private. The fact that it was advertised should have clued everyone in that the event would have "insiders" and "outsiders". Those who were most put off by that did not go, which probably saved a lot of grief at the event. Did the event represent a general cross-section of the industry? No. There is a lot of ego and vanity in the domain community. There are grudges and rivalries. There are bitter feuds. If a commercial convention promoter had organized the event, would there have been less people avoiding it on principle? Yes. Would it have been successful? I don't know. The industry is young. There is room for more events. Who else is organizing one? I'd like to see another organized around a different point of view. Who will step up to the plate to put one together?

Eventhough, I am a small player in this business. I would like to be treated with respect thru equality.

I would, too, but while I am waiting for someone to decide to give that to me, I have business to conduct. It doesn't make good financial sense for me to let my feelings about equitable treatment get in the way of my business decisions.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
Likewise Howard, though I'm trying to figure out why you spent all of your time at the dinner last night with Michelle of BuyDomains instead of me. I am just as much fun to be around. She has nothing on me accept about 250,000 domains and incredibly good looks. :)

By the way - the report on today's closing session has now been posted:

http://www.dnjournal.com/columns/traffic2004-day3.htm

Believe it or not, Michelle's mother went to high school with me. You are a bit behind the times on the number of domains in the BD portfolio. It was surrealistic to meet the "enemy" at a cocktail party, and the enemy is such a fine person. Actually, BD is an incredibly astute collection of people who are very tough competitors, whom I respect very much. That a beautiful young woman is running the show so that Michael Mann can pursue his non-profit activities was the real surprise. And, I am glad that you are so understanding, Duke, about why I did not insist on spending more time with you at dinner :))))

chatcher said:
Members of Rick's board paid lower prices. And that fact was advertised to everyone before registering. It could have been kept private. The fact that it was advertised should have clued everyone in that the event would have "insiders" and "outsiders". Those who were most put off by that did not go, which probably saved a lot of grief at the event. Did the event represent a general cross-section of the industry? No. There is a lot of ego and vanity in the domain community. There are grudges and rivalries. There are bitter feuds. If a commercial convention promoter had organized the event, would there have been less people avoiding it on principle? Yes. Would it have been successful? I don't know. The industry is young. There is room for more events. Who else is organizing one? I'd like to see another organized around a different point of view. Who will step up to the plate to put one together?

I would, too, but while I am waiting for someone to decide to give that to me, I have business to conduct. It doesn't make good financial sense for me to let my feelings about equitable treatment get in the way of my business decisions.

A more inclusive invitee list would have been good. Keeping the quality and the price of the event relatively high would be an adequate way of separating out the professionals from the wannabes. Anyone who wants to create a more inclusive organization is free to do so. Certainly, DNForum and DCG have enough clout to do so.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
Hi Rob:

I did not have a ticket. I went to the show as a reporter, not a registrant. I stayed at a different hotel and covered only the business sessions. I did not go to any of the meals or social events, with the exception of the Friday night dinner and went then only because I was invited and there was a news reason for going (the awards were presented at that function).

The vast majority of people would have paid $850-$1250 to register. Before the show I would not have paid that fee for a first time event. Having seen the value attendees received from the show I can now say a fee in that range would have been worth it.

Thanks Ron,

I enjoyed your daily reports from the event.

Like you, Richard and many others I support the concept of domain conference I just felt that ticket prices were excessive (and pricing structure unfair).

I’d like to see a much larger conference held, organised by professionals and executed in such a manner as to not exclude (or be biased towards) any level of domainer.

- Rob

Promediary

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
chatcher said:
The fact that it was advertised should have clued everyone in that the event would have "insiders" and "outsiders" ... There is a lot of ego and vanity in the domain community. There are grudges and rivalries. There are bitter feuds.

I didn't notice any "insiders" and "outsiders", Chuck. All I saw was common ground which, perhaps, is the great equalizer. Everyone was pleasant, cordial, approachable, helpful and willing to share valuable insights. Primetime players and understudies melded comfortably, collegially and in friendship. Egos, attitudes and status labels which pervade the online marketplace were simply not present at the conference.

"Grudges and rivalries" were either put aside in the interest of professionalism, resolved privately or dissolved under the glowing good will which seemed to be omnipresent from day one.

For some of you, that may be difficult to picture. And I understand that. But when familiar screen names and avatars are brought to life by handshakes, smiles and face-to-face dialog, combative stereotypes yield to more reliable personal assays.

As we have all witnessed and, in many instances, experienced, textual forum discussion is easily misinterpreted and often lends itself to unintended conflict. It's a lousy substitute for personal contact and cordial, extended dialog. The underlying magic of power networking is that stubborn stereotypes and stupid grievances melt when human personality is revealed and combatants open-up and get to know each other as real people.

There is room for more events. Who else is organizing one? I'd like to see another organized around a different point of view. Who will step up to the plate to put one together?

This is precisely the kind of unnecessary and divisive crap that seeds conflict, perpetuates "grudges and rivalries" and impedes collegial cooperation. Get over yourself, Chuck. You'll be amazed at what can be accomplished by simply extending your hand as an instrument of conciliation, rather than a fist.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TISSCA said:
Thanks Ron,

I enjoyed your daily reports from the event.

Like you, Richard and many others I support the concept of domain conference I just felt that ticket prices were excessive (and pricing structure unfair).

I’d like to see a much larger conference held, organised by professionals and executed in such a manner as to not exclude (or be biased towards) any level of domainer.

- Rob

I agree! Great job, Duke.

I would also pay to attend a conference as you describe.

Location suggestions:
* NOT in Florida during hurricane season
* NOT in Las Vegas during mid-summer (any other time is fine)

How about:
* Cabo San Lucas (not late summer and not spring break)
* California, esp San Diego (OK, so that may be self-serving)
* Vancouver CA during ski season (Whistler is close by)

All of these places have easy reasonably priced flights.

The weird restrictions and pricing philosopy were the business equivalent of a restaurant posting a sign in front saying "NO N_____S" [negative term for black person]. Most people wouldn't eat there regardless of their race. We no it was no 'accident' because in a follow-up post here, one of the organizers posted that all of the 'respectable' people in this business were already 'invited'. F___ You. Perhaps another organizer can do better.

Promediary

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
TISSCA said:
I’d like to see a much larger conference held, organised by professionals and executed in such a manner as to not exclude (or be biased towards) any level of domainer. - Rob

There was favorable discussion at the Saturday morning board meeting to enlarge attendance, expand to a 3-day conference and present seminar curricula tailored to be helpful for less experienced domainers.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
promediary wrote:

I didn't notice any "insiders" and "outsiders", Chuck. All I saw was common ground which, perhaps, is the great equalizer.
+++++++++++++++

Of course you didn't notice the outsiders, because, there weren't any!

Only the insiders were invited to the event. The outsiders were told right up front on the TRAFFIC website that they weren't welcome.

Not only that, but the Uber insiders got special pricing on admission.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Promediary said:
This is precisely the kind of unnecessary and divisive crap that seeds conflict, perpetuates "grudges and rivalries" and impedes collegial cooperation. Get over yourself, Chuck. You'll be amazed at what can be accomplished by simply extending your hand as an instrument of conciliation, rather than a fist.

Wow, Scott, interesting response to someone simply suggesting that more of these types of conferences be held. Why would that be.... unless the picture is not as rosy as you just painted it? Chuck had the honest to post his real experiences rather than a press release; perhaps you can learn from him, Scott.

Catcher said THIS event WAS worth the cost; that's an overall FAVORABLE review of the conference, yet you jump on him in your post. Is this an "example" of all the warm feelings within this group that you just talked about"?

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Promediary said:
...."Grudges and rivalries" were either put aside in the interest of professionalism, resolved privately or dissolved under the glowing good will which seemed to be omnipresent from day one....

I would hardly call the trafiic 2004 organizers saying past banned members (banned yrs ago, as far back as the 1990's, for relatively minor things) are NOT INVITED as NOT harboring grudges and acting 'professional' and displaying 'good will.'

Promediary

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:
Wow, Scott, interesting response to someone simply suggesting that more of these types of conferences be held. Why would that be.... unless the picture is not as rosy as you just painted it? Chuck had the honest to post his real experiences rather than a press release; perhaps you can learn from him, Scott.

I'm not going to be drawn into into a pissing contest here, JP.

As I stated earlier ... As we have all witnessed and, in many instances, experienced, textual forum discussion is easily misinterpreted and often lends itself to unintended conflict. It's a lousy substitute for personal contact and cordial, extended dialog. The underlying magic of power networking is that stubborn stereotypes and stupid grievances melt when human personality is revealed and combatants open-up and get to know each other as real people.

If you've got a beef, pick-up the phone and discuss it with the event promoters. You'll be amazed at how much more can be constructively accomplished in person-to-person conversation than public chat.

Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom