Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld TBR March 10, 2010 Best TBR ever featuring WEB DESIGN .CA!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you having luck with your French language domains in terms of natural traffic and/or sales? I've been buying the odd one here and there as well but traffic is spotty.

No, I don't do well with them and never sell any, so don't go after them ... lol

seriously, I do better with them than english domains. I know french and the pages I build get ranked in se's, and some also get natural traffic. the target population is low but there are also less french pages on the web. they also pull traffic from France and other french countries.

sales aren't so hot, french .ca are behind english .ca in sales activity. but the french words and terms I have would be premium and super premium in english, so I don't mind using them myself.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

I dropped it, good luck.

thank you, webpage coming soon!

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
- and make sure you transfer it away from Sibername as soon as possible! QUOTE]

Why ?? Any concerns keeping the domain there??

1 - Experience

2 - You might remember people were able to log in and see other domains in their account

3 - They "lost" .eu domains due to poor paperwork

4 - Having the TBRs registered to a domain registered in the "former Yugoslavia" but with "CA" as the country code is just a bit weird for a "serious company" - I showed the address already, so note the telephone number and try it for yourself: +38.0503337128

If that address "is an error" than it is similar to what happened to numerous registrant accounts for .eu domains they did, each with mangled, incorrect contact information.

I think the topic need not be discussed further, lest someone "who has nothing to do with Sibername", using an anonymous proxy, starts stalking me online again. :rolleyes:

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As long as these tbr's are bidding in the dark against a number there is fraud, period. Its human nature, nothing new under the sun...if it can be done, it has and will continue to.

Can anyone list those that are like sibername , in the dark and those who are transparent? I tell ya why there is likely one or none in the light and thats because you cant screw people in the light!

Dark...
1. Sibername
2. Pool
3. Myid

Light
1. ??????

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As long as these tbr's are bidding in the dark against a number there is fraud, period. Its human nature, nothing new under the sun...if it can be done, it has and will continue to.

Can anyone list those that are like sibername , in the dark and those who are transparent? I tell ya why there is likely one or none in the light and thats because you cant screw people in the light!

Dark...
1. Sibername
2. Pool
3. Myid

Light
1. ??????
There isn't a single auction platform out there where you actually know who you are bidding against. The best you'll get is 'usernames' but those could be anyone. Definitely will always be the opportunity for fraud but at the same time do bidders actually want their real information visible to others?

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow.. this is getting real interesting.. MSN- Thanks for the insight on the issue and I will not provoke you further.. sorry if I did...and the Dark/Light comparison is interesting too.. I commend NamesPro and others for staying away from this and that is why I like them. The best way to stay clean is not getting dirty in the first place I think.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing, at least with a username you can track activity, with just bidder 1 2 3 4 5 etc you cannot.

So you have a choice, become semi exposed or get screwed for $$$$$$, I know what Id choose.

From what I see the winners of big names are either private registrars who do not bid but rather catch, us here or who? I find certain numbers hard to believe. Webdesigns I am sorry would NEVER fetch $10k here, maybe not in 5-10 more years. Far better names pass by without such offers.

Who bid this man up to $10k? Anyone here... if not who?

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing, at least with a username you can track activity, with just bidder 1 2 3 4 5 etc you cannot.

So you have a choice, become semi exposed or get screwed for $$$$$$, I know what Id choose.

From what I see the winners of big names are either private registrars who do not bid but rather catch, us here or who? I find certain numbers hard to believe. Webdesigns I am sorry would NEVER fetch $10k here, maybe not in 5-10 more years. Far better names pass by without such offers.

Who bid this man up to $10k? Anyone here... if not who?
I definitely think people should be identified by usernames. And you make a good point. Look at the airtel.com thread. Someone bid him up to 35k. Who would of done that? Who knows. Pool has unique identificatins but unless you keep close track its impossible as most are bidder1234 or something similar.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All you can do is bid up to the maximum you are willing to pay. With the 'halvarez' incident we know what can happen at the worst of times, but I don't know if there is much you could do about it IF it is happening.

Web Design might have a lot of competition, on the other hand there is a lot of demand for good web designers. If you get a customer and do a good job, it could be a customer for life, or long term, which is the best kind. The other good thing about web design is it is a generic enough product/service, you could advertise it on almost any website and get some hits, because you take a group of 100 visitors, and a certain percentage of them is probably thinking about making a website about something. Done right, a web design directory could make back the domain price in a reasonable amount of time. Say, for example, the buyer had a network of city websites or job websites, and could place links on each of those for web design services. You'd have a steady source of traffic looking for web design, which would make web design firms want to be listed there.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wishes and fishes HG, wishes and fishes, nice name yes and beauty is in the eye of the beholder but sometimes 1+1 is equalling 3 and its driving me crazy :)

I have spoke with ALL major website/design businesses in Canada I could find, NON would pay that reseller price. NON. I explained earlier how I know this.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can see usernames at pool, tbr.ca, and fastwebserver if I remember right.

Last edited:

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm sure alot of web design firms didn't even know the domain was for sale...even the big ones. I like the name for development and with what Bonfire is planning for a business model is a good idea.

Last edited:

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm sure alot of web design firms didn't even know the domain was for sale...even the big ones. I like the name for development and with what Bonfire is planning for a business model is a good idea.

I cannot respect your opinion until I see " mod " under your username lol ;)

btw big webdesign firms knew of a bigger name months ago and didnt bite, I know first hand, well one did but that is kind of my point, one!

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have spoke with ALL major website/design businesses in Canada I could find, NON would pay that reseller price. NON. I explained earlier how I know this.

A lot of them probably wouldn't pay $500 for it either. Most businesses still don't 'get it'. Someone who types in webdesign.ca is a great lead; using WebDesign.ca in your advertising is memorable and makes you look like the leader in web design in Canada. Used right, this domain would make back the price in increased business and saved advertising costs. Now instead of one web design firm being able to use this name exclusively, many will be paying monthly or yearly fees to list in a directory and have to compete with other listings. If a decent web design firm had bought this name for that price, they should have been able to get the value out of the domain in a matter of say a few years, and they'd still own the domain. It's all how you look at it I guess. Same argument as why a major hotel chain doesn't own hotels.com, or a major candy company doesn't own candy.com, but on a smaller scale, and on and on...

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is there still a lot of money to be made from webdesign and how long would it take to recoup the investment.
That is the question.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The problem with that theory is traffic, it will get non, therefore you could take any $12 CAD reg. the only point I conceed is branding and " looking professional " but stating the name will pay for itself is not reality, it won't. And when no Canadian web design firm will spend $500 to own a name what will they pay for ads? Im sorry but it is a nice generic name, good industry brandable name but not one that is worth more than that, we dont trade .ca's because they pay for themselves. We trade in hopes of finding a real user, so in the meantime its a shelved $10k like others, time involved in creating a working revenue generated site there for a reseller is a waste, 100%.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think there are good points on each side of this argument. In the end, it all depends on putting the name to use.

For reference, the term 'web design' had 368,000 Google searches in Canada last month, and almost 7.5 million global Google searches last month. I find .ca's that include the exact term searched tend to do well in search engine rankings for Google and Yahoo. I'd be interested to know the type in traffic, with that search volume there must be some people doing direct navigation with it.

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is something we through around at TBR.ca when we were planning development. While it hasn't been implemented yet as I'm busy working on a couple desktop applications that are business critical. Our finalized plan for this problem is the following:

After an auction has closed:

A. If you were part of the auction and made at lease 1 bid after your backorder = Real Names
B. If you were not part of the auction or backordered but did not bid = Alias's

We currently see this as the best boundary between being transparent but actively protecting our customers right to their privacy. This is by no means set in stone and we will definitely send out emails to judge feedback from our current members prior to making any such changes but I'd love to hear your thoughts on this implementation.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have 2 french domains...finis and derriere ;)

No, I don't do well with them and never sell any, so don't go after them ... lol

seriously, I do better with them than english domains. I know french and the pages I build get ranked in se's, and some also get natural traffic. the target population is low but there are also less french pages on the web. they also pull traffic from France and other french countries.

sales aren't so hot, french .ca are behind english .ca in sales activity. but the french words and terms I have would be premium and super premium in english, so I don't mind using them myself.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

thank you, webpage coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators