Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld TBR - March 28th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Last week's TBR was so lousy that nobody so much as made a thread for it :eek:

Ironically, it was one of my most active weeks; I picked up frederictonmortgage, realtystore, kingstonmortgage and tattooshow, all of which I would say have rather obvious uses.

I also got "Shabbat" - which I intend on donating to a synagogue or similar, as a contribution to my community.

Now, onto March 28th...

I just spent the past hour and a half looking over the list, with no "white whale", such being a rather obvious name.

I did see one that those who watch TV ought to see the value in. Not naming any names.

I also saw one which is VERY "tooth and nail". Not quite obvious, but a very low hanging fruit. This is my primary pursuit for the week.

There are some others worth pursuing on there. The consistency of dropping LLL's is dissuading me that there is value in them.

For various reasons, I'm wanting to go .com more and more now.

Thoughts and musings for this week, folks?

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Last week wasn't too bad, I took foodweb, webhealth, and keanu. I'm a bit of a sucker for 'web' when it's with a nice keyword.

Haven't checked this week yet. I agree with your .com sentiment, the .ca market isn't moving so great right now, .com really gets all the action.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So how did it go today?? Hailey seems to have been the darling of the day!! Maxwell, were you able to secure your pick??

As for the dropping of LLLs, I think some are being dropped because the companies which got them even before CIRA days, are no more in business and hence they are being let go. So I do not see it as a drop in value for the LLLs.

Well, I agree that there is so much happening with .Coms, but, are we almost there with .Ca's or is there still a long way to go?? Any thoughts??

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So how did it go today?? Hailey seems to have been the darling of the day!! Maxwell, were you able to secure your pick??

As for the dropping of LLLs, I think some are being dropped because the companies which got them even before CIRA days, are no more in business and hence they are being let go. So I do not see it as a drop in value for the LLLs.

Well, I agree that there is so much happening with .Coms, but, are we almost there with .Ca's or is there still a long way to go?? Any thoughts??

I wouldn't mind having you clarify just what you mean by "almost there". Dot ca will never surpass .com. They'll certainly go up in value as a very influential TLD, but something I am realizing the hard way is that end users are in a much shorter supply for .ca than there are for .com.

I still plan to invest in .ca's. But .com will never die, and I see much better short term money there than I do in .ca. And right now, at this stage of my life, betting for the short term is where I feel most comfortable.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agree.. Short term is much better, by the sounds of it for me too.

What I meant by "being almost there" was, trying to know was, if the value for .Ca's is about to take off or if there was more time to wait. I would think there is enough awareness and everyone is talking about it. But as you said, there may be a scarcity of end users for .Ca's, compared to .Com's.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Local domains are winning, and .ca domains can have high values if your focus is on specific points of interests. One of our niche .ca domains made about $350 last month just being parked, so there is money out there for the right ones.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Saw today's results, a few interesting ones especially IOS given it's Apple's acronym for it's dominant mobile operating system.

I haven't had much action on my .ca's since the end of 2011, mostly just been doing renewals and collecting ad/affiliate income from my pages in 2012.

I've always thought .ca is just on a steady, gradual rise. Maybe the explosion of mobile/tablet use will increase demand for shorter .ca's and domains in general. By 2015 the smartphone/tablet projections are really quite staggering.

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To anybody who's curious, my "tooth and nail" this week was bellissima. Great commonly used one-word. I wimped out in the mid-$200 range. Unfortunately, money isn't fantastic now, I would have gone much higher if I had a little more lying around.

I seriously can't believe I missed investmentguide. That's something I'd have put on my credit card, especially since the investment market is rapidly changing, and a "neutral perspective" such as that of a guide is what many layperson investors need.

Hailey was a good one, put in a token bid on it, hoping I could snag it for a friend of mine named Hailey, who knew it would end up being the number one this week?

I think ios is far overrated. Apple would never want it, since they don't market the operating system, since one must have the product first in order to use the operating system. Ergo, it makes more sense to advertise the product than the operating system which it runs on.

They don't even own ios dot com. This is exactly why I stayed away from universal dot ca when it dropped some time ago. Go to universal dot com and tell me what you see.

The argument can be made that "ios" is a good combination of letters besides what Apple has to offer. But this is not a basis on which I would shell big dollars out.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what Hailey.ca sold for?

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To anybody who's curious, my "tooth and nail" this week was bellissima. Great commonly used one-word. I wimped out in the mid-$200 range. Unfortunately, money isn't fantastic now, I would have gone much higher if I had a little more lying around.

I seriously can't believe I missed investmentguide. That's something I'd have put on my credit card, especially since the investment market is rapidly changing, and a "neutral perspective" such as that of a guide is what many layperson investors need.

Hailey was a good one, put in a token bid on it, hoping I could snag it for a friend of mine named Hailey, who knew it would end up being the number one this week?

I think ios is far overrated. Apple would never want it, since they don't market the operating system, since one must have the product first in order to use the operating system. Ergo, it makes more sense to advertise the product than the operating system which it runs on.

They don't even own ios dot com. This is exactly why I stayed away from universal dot ca when it dropped some time ago. Go to universal dot com and tell me what you see.

The argument can be made that "ios" is a good combination of letters besides what Apple has to offer. But this is not a basis on which I would shell big dollars out.

Great thinking.. I did not see bellissima in the list, till you mentioned it. But I saw, Investment Guide... I don't know what it went for.. but a good name for sure. I do not think Apple will ever want to have IOS ever.. they are not that kind!!! But a great acronym to own.. will sure make good use for "idiots on steroid" - which includes myself!!!!

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you're not based in Canada how easy is it to get a presence there for registration? Are the restrictions strictly enforced?

Very strictly. It is how the integrity of the TLD is maintained.

The way big companies do it, is they use a CIPO-registered mark for their presence, which is allowed under CIRA's rules.

So, if Sample Inc. has a trademark on the word "example", they have adequate presence to be registrants for "example.ca". Variations, however, are not allowed.

In this instance, they could not own "examples.ca", since the trademark in question is "example", not "examples".

The other way to do it is to form a corporation in a Canadian province. So, US-based Sample Inc. would form Sample Canada Inc. in, say, Ontario as a subsidiary.

Since Sample Canada Inc. is a Canadian corporation, they now suffice as "eligible", and may proceed to maintain registrations as they please.

This is not legal advice, to anyone who's reading this. Future changes in the policy could render what I have written to be perhaps untrue at some point in the future. Consider my statements accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators