Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed That's ridiculous to say dot.org "says fraud"

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
.tv's are used by some reasonably prominent companies here in the UK. So are .co.uk's.

.org's have their place for non profits - but when a commercial entity uses a .org it either says "fraud" or "couldn't get the .com" - neither of which I see as helping to get that sale.

Saying that is ridiculous :mad: many non-charitable web-sites use the dot.org extension. According to ICANN rules it may be used by any organization, not only charities. In fact, the word Organization does not mean only charities, it could be a stock brokers organization, a traders organization, investors org, medical org, financial org, mlm org, seo org, software org, computer org, even a domain organization. Saying that "says fraud" is one of the strangest and most incorrect odd allegations I have ever read.

Also, the UK market is comparatively very small, just because .TV may be prominent :laugh: in the UK market means little. In the U.S. (far and away the #1 online market) it is very rarely used and online. Many TV names were sold for obscene prices due to their great marketing campaign. Most all simply now redirect to a firms dot.com website or do not resolve at all, very few TV's have developed websites. Plus, dot-tv seems to have vanished, rarely if ever seeing their ads anymore.

Most alll advertising, especialy TV commercials use Dot-com and dot-org's. I don't recall seeing more than 1 commercial for a dot-tv or dot-net. It's 99% com and org in the U.S.

Regarding your other claim that using org means you could not get the com :rolleyes: is not really fully accurate. Many firms are happy with an org name. In fact, I have several cases where I own both the com and org and have the org as the developed (commercial) web-site, and actually have the dot-com redirecting into the dot.org. That's because I feel the org extension helps to denote trust and integrity more than the dot.com and visitors are more likely to place confidence in the web-site content as a result.

Domain summit 2024

Firstly, why start a new thread for this?

Secondly, I don't mean fraud as in illegal, fraud as in a commercial entity pretending to be otherwise.

You said yourself that they could benefit from the non commercial halo that .org has. So when a customer realises the entity they thought was non-profit is commercial - how does that help things?

Also, the UK is a major buyer for premium domain names regardless of its size.

But you have a vested interest in promoting your .org - so we're unlikely to agree on this one.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I started a new thread as this is important and wanted to give this issue more exposure rather then get buried in the other thread. Is there something wrong with starting a new thread? I am new to this forum and wonder if that is so?

Using a dot-org is not done (at least by myself) to mislead anyone into thinking the site was non-commercial. That would be quite difficult to do even if trying to do so.

I doubt if others do that with intent also, I think most have commercialized dot-org's mainly because they simply want to be considered an ORGANIZATION, regardless of the type of orgainization, charitable or commercial.

I realize the UK's .org.uk is not that popular but I think the US version (just plain .org) has much greater appeal, mostly because it is an International Extension for global usage. Plus, ICANN say's any organization may use it.

If you think commercial dot-org's are either 'fraud' or used because the dot-com was taken how in the world do you account for the largest resale on Afternic in more than 2 yrs being an org?

As you may know, Engineering.org sold for $198,895. The dot-com version may very well be worth less than the dot-org in this case! It goes back to the feeling of comaraderie, confidence and trust, etc which is the great value of certain dot-org web-sites.

GD sold loans.com sold for $3m and claimed they sold beauty.cc for $1m - what's your point?

Relying on a single past sale proves nothing and never has.

How many blue chips use a .org as their prime address?

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Names like the loans.com sale were before the big drop in the domain market and dot-com economy decline.

Plus, Beauty.CC for a million dollars was a scam sale, mostly an insider transaction designed to bring publicity to the declining dot-CC registry.

It was not cash but consisted of heavy insider consideration, mostly the right of the buyer (by an odd coincidence the buyer was a dot-cc registry affiliate and the owner/seller was the dot-cc registry itself), to sell thousands of new .CC domains at a very low registry cost, next to nothing.

The fact Engineering.com was the highest value sale on Afternic out of hundreds (perhaps thousands) of domain sales (mostly dot-coms) seems to be very significant. It indicates the great value of some dot.org's. Of course, depending on the name and industry they are in to a good degree.

I used the word "claimed" for a reason, most people know the beauty.cc sale was a scam designed to get speculators registering .cc's.

Don't you find it odd that engineering.org doesn't resolve to a real web site?

But like I said, don't rely on a single sale to prove a point.

How many blue chips use a .org as their primary web address?

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames
Names like the loans.com sale were before the big drop in the domain market and dot-com economy decline.

Plus, Beauty.CC for a million dollars was a scam sale, mostly an insider transaction designed to bring publicity to the declining dot-CC registry.

It was not cash but consisted of heavy insider consideration, mostly the right of the buyer (by an odd coincidence the buyer was a dot-cc registry affiliate and the owner/seller was the dot-cc registry itself), to sell thousands of new .CC domains at a very low registry cost, next to nothing.

The fact Engineering.com was the highest value sale on Afternic out of hundreds (perhaps thousands) of domain sales (mostly dot-coms) seems to be very significant. It indicates the great value of some dot.org's. Of course, depending on the name and industry they are in to a good degree.

Sorry, the above was a Typo, obviously should have said Engineering.ORG (not .com)

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
.org's have their place for non profits - but when a commercial entity uses a .org it either says "fraud" or "couldn't get the .com" - neither of which I see as helping to get that sale.

I haven't read this post to it's entirety.
But from the quoted comment above, I would have to agree with safesys.

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
No, I am from Afghanistan. But recently moved to Benkaar, Pakistan.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
I used the word "claimed" for a reason, most people know the beauty.cc sale was a scam designed to get speculators registering .cc's.

Don't you find it odd that engineering.org doesn't resolve to a real web site?

But like I said, don't rely on a single sale to prove a point.

How many blue chips use a .org as their primary web address?

Yes, extremely odd engineering.org does not resolve after I think approx' 2 yrs since sold. :confused:

Why in the world would an organization payout that much money and not develop a website?

I purchased a name for $100 and had a developed website up and running within 48-hrs as I could not strand the thought of spending that much money ($100) without putting it to use right away :laugh:

Why do you think they never developed a web-site , or at a minimum a redirect? Could it have been some odd type of scam?

There was talk that it was a scam at the time - but you get those rumors with every large sale at afternic as nobody trusts them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators