Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

The biggest mistake I made in domain reselling......

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryWentz

Sasquatch Researchin' Pool Hall Junkie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The biggest mistake I made in domain reselling over the last 2 1/2 years was procrastinating on developing sites or even redirecting my domain names. The truth is that I was frightened developing sites because I thought it was to technical for me. That simply is not the case. I still procrastinate and need to put up sites at a faster pace though.

I took the plunge last fall and developed my first site. That site now produces enough income to pay for renewals on all of my 650+ domain names. The funny thing is that I doubt I could sell that domain name alone for over $500. However, as a business, it now has a successful track record and I could likely get a 5 figure amount for it if I wanted to sell it.

Now I have made a profit over the last 2 years selling over 550 domain names but the fact is that domain sales "do not" produce monthly residual income like what a website can do. I strongly feel that domain resellers should take that plunge and

-start developing sites that are search engine friendly for free traffic (proper keywords/meta-tags)

-utilize affiliate programs that match the content of your site or develop a site around an affiliate program (or several affiliate programs with a similar theme)

-pay for traffic watching carefully to see how much you can afford to spend per click on your site based on your EPC (earnings per click)

I am positive that your chances of surving in the domain reselling biz will be "much" higher if you had additional income coming in from websites. Your stress level when it comes to domain renewal time will also be much lower.

Larry Wentz
"Make Money with Affiliate Networks!"
http://www.AffiliateNetwork.org

Domain summit 2024
P

President Gringo

Great advice, nice to have you on board. I've always thought this, and have been keeping my eyes open for good domains. One particular domain i purchased with this in mind was bargainforum.com, as the affiliate links could earn alot of money (if you are signed up to amazon affiliate, and someone reports a bargain at amazon, you get a chunck of the pie).

Alot of the domains i got are purchased with the intention of developing something when i have time.

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have many of the same regrets, and only the constant stream of money-for-nothing has ameliorated some of the pain of not developing. :D

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can't agree more , Larry.:)

About my biggest mistakes when starting..well,some are too embarrissing to tell, but some major mistakes include but are not limited to:

- regging names when drunk so next morning you wake up and own a nice stupid typo like adresses.biz when you thought it was actually addresses.biz...
- regging waay too much .biz/.info names...actually regging .info/.biz at all
- regging letter/number combos
- regging misspell-domains on purpose but not developing a site for them
- regging "funny" names again when drunk like MyBodyIsMy.biz (that's almost too embarrising to tell already :D)
- regging without thinking - that is reggin too quick just because you're emotionalized
- regging TM's - not because of potential trouble but because for TM's you basically have only 1 potential buyer if at all
- regging at too expensive registrars
- regging abbrev.
- as Larry said, not developing sites instantly for your names(you can always create an additional "for sale"- PopUp for your developed sites)

Well that's basically it....we all live and learn :)

Generating revenue from inherent traffic makes absolute sense. Other forms of development may or may not do.

As long as you're in profit, it really doesn't matter which path or mix you take - it will keep you smiling :)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beatz

- regging names when drunk so next morning you wake up and own a nice stupid typo like adresses.biz when you thought it was actually addresses.biz...

:laugh:

A mistake I've made - well not with all names - was to register too many greek words out of national pride LOL

So now I am stuck with the following valid but rarely used domains:

ACROLITH.COM
ACROTER.COM
ADYNAMIA.COM
ANTIPATER.COM
ANTIPOLE.COM
APOCRYPHON.COM
ATHLOS.COM
ATROPHIC.COM
DIPLEGIA.COM
ENCEFALITIS.COM
ENDYSIS.COM
EPICLESIS.COM
EUCALYPTI.COM
EUGENIDES.COM
EURYSTHEUS.COM
FERONIA.COM
IFESTOS.COM
KIMOLOS.COM
MARATHONAS.COM
MELANCHOLIC.ORG
MELODIC.ORG
MONARCHISM.COM
PRIENE.COM
PYROSPHERE.COM
SALPINX.COM
SEMELE.COM
SYNCRISIS.COM
VERIA.NET
XANTHIAN.NET

Originally posted by LarryWentz

I took the plunge last fall and developed my first site. That site now produces enough income to pay for renewals on all of my 650+ domain names. The funny thing is that I doubt I could sell that domain name alone for over $500. However, as a business, it now has a successful track record and I could likely get a 5 figure amount for it if I wanted to sell it.

Great advice Larry. Just curious, what was that first domain you developed?

LarryWentz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by timechange

Great advice Larry. Just curious, what was that first domain you developed?

The first domain I developed was www.MagazineSubscriptions.org . I absolutely have no problem utilizing a .org for building a site by the way. I feel a .org adds a level of trust with a lot of people.

Larry Wentz

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by LarryWentz
The first domain I developed was www.MagazineSubscriptions.org . I absolutely have no problem utilizing a .org for building a site by the way. I feel a .org adds a level of trust with a lot of people.Larry Wentz. "Make Money with Affiliate Networks!" http://www.AffiliateNetwork.org

Dot-Org definately adds a level of trust and credibility and may be used well for many websites, not simply non-profits. I have been saying this for ages but few seem to believe if for some odd reason. Plus, org also has a truly amazing hidden benefit which is kept secret by knowledgable org website owners.

Yes, Larry, I agree the way to go is developed websites. I now have almost 300 fully or partally developed sites online. Several sites have very good online revenue, a number have minor income. Most have little or no revenue but I am sure will do better in the future, especially as they get ranked better on the search engines.

I am still developing and hope to have 500 developed sites by years-end. Most of them are small sites, 1 or 2 pages. A big problem I have is not neccesarily traffic but more so regarding finding or developing products or services to sell.

One reason I say traffic is not a problem is the sites can generate income even on low traffic, as low as 5 to 10 uniques a day would be satisfactory based on a high product profit margin.

Low traffic is OK with most of my sites as they all use keyword rich names and most have well targeted type-in traffic as a result of their keyword urls', mostly business terms and 2, 3 or 4 word phrases.

One secret is finding a low-cost high-speed hosting firm who will host you without their own ads and banners on your page and also offer personal service for non-techies, including doing free uploading of your htm files and server maintanance, SEO, search engine submissions, all included in a low monthly fee.

"home of personal service web-hosting for non-techies - as low as $4-mo per website"

http://www.ApplicationServicesProvider.com
or http://www.webfirms.com

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally, I like .org, but I have registered too many dot org domains 3 years ago and now they are too good to just throw them away but financially a burden to renew :-(

By the way, I have posted another thread about selling 30+ China place-name domains (mostly .org's, you could guess).

Originally posted by nameslave
Personally, I like .org, but I have registered too many dot org domains 3 years ago and now they are too good to just throw them away but financially a burden to renew :-(

By the way, I have posted another thread about selling 30+ China place-name domains (mostly .org's, you could guess).

I've been dropping a few ORGs here and there myself - especially the ones registered with GoDaddy.

LarryWentz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tee
Larry, who do you host all your sites with?

I use the multiple domain name hosting plan at http://www.NewWebsite.com . You can host up to 500 domain names for $49 a month. These names can have an average of 500k of space each or 250 meg. total to be distibuted as you see fit.

A handful of domain resellers/multi-domain owners utilize them. Floyd at NewWebsite focuses a majority of his effort at multi-domain owners. If you start hosting with them - make sure you tell Floyd I recommended you as I get a month freebie :) .

Larry Wentz

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom