Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

The domain name industry is so full of it... Really!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
2009 is shaping up to be the best year ever for parking & domain sales...I personally know of some very big deals taking place. Suffice to say that we are surely in the right business, right place, & right time. If you look at the glass and see it as half-full then you probably are right. If you see it as half-empty, you are probably right too. Perception is reality in this business, always has been. Good luck Mike. :hippie:

Focus say's smoke one because the grass is very green brother! :smokin:

One last note: Traffic is king, right after God.

Domain summit 2024

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it was never about quantity, but quality

people are just now starting to figure out that all of the 1000s of speculative invesmtnets they made in "made up generics" or "brandable" names that sound cool will never see the light

it is kinda hard parting with em, i know...but seriously... if they do not receive any traffic, that means they do not make any income... if they dont receive any offers for them by potential buyers as well then what is the point?

its time to re-strategize and do focus on the good names that people have and make the most of those... having 1000s of odd names in dozens or hundreds of various niches prevents u from doing so

here is a tip for anybody who is feeling stuck: start off fresh, it is never too late... the domain game is pretty good if u know what u are doing, it is ok to fail, but u have to learn from ur mistakes, and the first step is to admit to em... iv had my shares as well, who hasn't??

live and learn

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
buy .com domains with traffic and you can't go wrong.... :eek:k:

Acquisition

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if you knew everything, about the domain game, your % of domain income would be greater.

I totally agree.

Over the last few months I have purchased multiple domain names at low-to-mid $x,xxx, and immediately turned around and sold them for mid $xx,xxx, and some for 6 figures to end-users.

The OP simply has absolutely no idea what he is talking about.

newvista

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The OP makes some very valid points but it makes for pretty bleak reading.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Trust your own experience (make sure you have some) and gut...they will guide you.

Last edited:

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As one who made a paper fortune (and a little cash) just before the bubble burst, I'll say this: Now is the time for people with any great new idea. We had Amazon, eBay and Google before the bubble burst. Since that we've had facebook, youtube, wiki, {insert successful start-ups here}. There are still millionaires to be made. You won't become a billionaire from domaining/parking/bartering but you might if you create the next craze. There are a couple of things that Google haven't thought of that I lie awake thinking about myself. The beauty of this is that it doesn't cost millions to get started, provided you have the vision.

Anyway, I have one I'm still dreaming about and might get to start coding soon.

Get yourself a dream and find its route to reality.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BobDiGiTaL View Post
if you knew everything, about the domain game, your % of domain income would be greater.

^---- bob,

i made a killing "domaining" for a while and then moved onto bigger and better things.

u trying to slam me, is silly... who are u anyways ?

i dont consider myself as a domainer since 2005, that is when i officially quit

i havent really parked domains in order to make any income or focused on acquiring domains and then reselling them..

that is what domainers do, buy, sell, park... there is no more to it

so i dont call myself a domainer, for a good few yrs now.

i am a developer and marketer

i do however buy domains each and every day... i sell them as well, directly to end users, which is where the money is...

i develop standalone businesses

i stay pretty busy and do a lot of other things offline as well...

what is it exactly that u do ?

wait, i dont really care...

so, dont try to turn this discussions personals, it is not smart...

stay on-topic and discuss the issues, focus on whats important, instead of wasting your time and mine

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Mike, I am a web developer as well, however thank God for Sedo (and other PPC companies) because until 2004 I was losing thousands of dollars each year from not parking my domains. I think that you are driven by development but I think you should see that there is a successful middle ground to be adopted. Personally, I am far too busy to develop all of my domains. I choose which ones to hold onto for development, but in the meantime I'd rather park them and keep the revenue flow going than proclaim that I am not a domainer via a manifesto of some sort :)

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mike, I am a web developer as well, however thank God for Sedo (and other PPC companies) because until 2004 I was losing thousands of dollars each year from not parking my domains. I think that you are driven by development but I think you should see that there is a successful middle ground to be adopted. Personally, I am far too busy to develop all of my domains. I choose which ones to hold onto for development, but in the meantime I'd rather park them and keep the revenue flow going than proclaim that I am not a domainer via a manifesto of some sort :)

i have no problem with that biz model

it works for u, and thousands of other domainers, and that is great... but nothing good lasts forever, and i've clearly outlined the issues at hand and what is going to happen sooner than later -- there is no denying it is coming.

and i have no manifesto

ppl have taken it outta context and choose to turn it to something it isnt

i share my views and call it like i see it

there is a lot of outlets that pump out nothing but feel-good and all-is-well in the domain industry... but when u sit down and talk to any of the real major players or real veterans, privately, and off the record --- its totally different

personally, i wanted to look beyond domain parking and tap into the organic search engine traffic of all of the good keyword domains i managed to acquire in the early days because i wasnt happy with my traffic declining instead of growing...

i knew of development for many years before and then once i started making sense of "domaining" a light bulb came off and fast forward a couple of years later, and many fully developed sites later, i am making exponentially more than i was when i was parking some of those same domain names

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The real end game is to develop one and park the rest. Vision is everything. Have a vision - the one you develop; if it's something new it will give you a chance for the big bucks. The parked ones will keep your bottom line reasonable if you know what you're doing.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Well then, I see no problem in carrying on with the same successful business model. As I said, I am a developer whose hobby of domaining became too large and thus split my business into two. A lot of people are simply domainers - nothing wrong with that - however they seem to be content with no development, just parking, or a slight off-balance combination of both. To say that the domain industry is "so full of it" sounds like a biased statement, hence the manifesto reference. Best of luck and success in everything that you do :)

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well then, I see no problem in carrying on with the same successful business model. As I said, I am a developer whose hobby of domaining became too large and thus split my business into two. A lot of people are simply domainers - nothing wrong with that - however they seem to be content with no development, just parking, or a slight off-balance combination of both. To say that the domain industry is "so full of it" sounds like a biased statement, hence the manifesto reference. Best of luck and success in everything that you do :)

domainers were never developers, and probly never will be able to make the transition...the right way anyways...

it is the other way around, developers becoming domainers.. it is much easier

thanks for the well wishes and best of luck to u too, congrats on the sale of 360 org btw... i sold 600 org few yrs back for way too cheap...shoulda held onto it and had u broker it... u .org expert uuuu :yes:

The real end game is to develop one and park the rest. Vision is everything. Have a vision - the one you develop; if it's something new it will give you a chance for the big bucks. The parked ones will keep your bottom line reasonable if you know what you're doing.

everybody has different goals, but i get what u are saying.. and u are spot on

it all starts with development, taking control of ur business instead of relying on others to get the job done for u...

if u want to tap into all of the TRUE potential good domains have, u have to make a certain investment right upfront and build out a product or service if there is a market for it...

what is this market i talk aobut?

...if there is users searching for this "product" or "service" or even information.... and advertisers paying for those users

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Smart money is on developing something new that people didn't realise they couldn't do without ;-)

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Smart money is on developing something new that people didn't realise they couldn't do without ;-)

that involves a lot of work !!

its not for everybody...

unfortunately all the easy money opportunities with domains are far too rare this days for up and comers... u see ppl involved in the domain game for years that are struggling and are more than frustrated.. that tells u something !

building a standalone business is lots of work

just having a cool domain or an idea isn't gonna cut it

some interesting videos that explain this from joe davison

i dont know if he is a member here or not but always enjoyed his perspective on things as he has lots of good domains and developed some cool websites and e-businesses

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=electronmedia&view=videos

"the 6 biggest lies about domain development"

check em out

Last edited:

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mike, no, it's not for everybody, I agree. But to make the megabucks, that's where it's at.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mike, no, it's not for everybody, I agree. But to make the megabucks, that's where it's at.

not even 10 people come to mind who have made mega bucks online from first accumulating lots of good domains and then developing them

there has been very few who have managed to do this

www.internetrealestate.com does well

www.chena.com does well

ummm there is a few i am missing that i dont remember right off top of my head...but, feel free to fill in and add to the list

talking about creating $xx,xxx,xxx wealth and into $xxx,xxx,xxx

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Back in the money days, it wasn't a question of having a portfolio. It was a matter of an idea being put into practice. The two scenarios aren't mutually exclusive. I made my most money when I had the fewest domain names. Others' mileage undoubtedly varies.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Back in the money days, it wasn't a question of having a portfolio. It was a matter of an idea being put into practice. The two scenarios aren't mutually exclusive. I made my most money when I had the fewest domain names. Others' mileage undoubtedly varies.

true true, don't we all just wish to win the lottery just once... just once to hit a home run with a decent "project" which we developed... or one big domain name sale to an end user... man, that is sweet :yes:

i'll do a write up in the next few days and share how i took approx 2,500 reg fee domains, a very simple idea and a proven concept, did some mass development every few months here and there, and turned the whole operation into $x,xxx,xxx within 24 months

currently, i am working on 2 more write ups... which iv already started but need to finish... been in the works for a few days now...

"domain sales is an art"

and

"type in traffic is the best traffic in the world... not"

so much to do so little time

stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators