Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

The most valuable domain in the world is [yourname].com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When I bought my first domain 2 years ago I remember the very first recommendation godaddy made was that I purchase my own name .com. I didn't think much of it. Who would want my name anyway? Godaddy continued to suggest that I reg it. I continued to ignore. Godaddy relented. And I forgot about it. It wasn't until a few weeks ago when I finally regged it. In the ensuing weeks I've read several articles on people who regret not having bought their own dot com names. The feeling of relief from knowing that I own my dot com name is one I'd rather never lose (at least while I'm alive). I was fortunate to reg it for 2 reasons. 1) I don't have a common name 2) I'm neither a public/renowned figure nor a celeb.

Owning your dot com name allows you to be in a position to control your online identity whether for brand or personal reasons. Bill Gates could re-route billgates.com to thegatesnotes.com. Steve Jobs could redirect stevejobs.com to Apple's homepage or a page with emails/letters for shareholders and customers. George Lucas could redirect georgelucas.com to a page detailing new Star Wars ebooks and hardcopies on the market. Anderson Cooper could re-route andersoncooper.com to ac360.com. Unfortunately, these folks don't own their dot com names. And the list of people like these is longer than one might realize. I feel bad for Bill Clinton. He is probably the most popular political figure in recent times who's popularity actually surged beyond his presidency. The man is a political and charitable brand globally. But online? Not nearly as much. His dot com name would have been an easier way to get to his foundation site (what? you didn't know he had a foundation?).

Mark Zuckerberg is one lucky guy. I have no idea whether he regged his own name or bought it from someone else the same year he started Thefacebook. Either way it doesn't matter because he owns it. He could have used his domain to control his personal identity online in the months leading up to the premier of the Social Network, which he claims hasn't depicted the truth about what happened or the type of person he is.

Do you own your name .com? If not why haven't you regged it yet? Have you tried to purchase your name from someone else who had the same name? What was the outcome?

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have an uncommon name, so it was available. I've had it registered for several years. Since I doubt I will ever be famous, and if I decide to be an author, would use a more easily pronounced pen name, having my name doesn't really accomplish much, but I just don't like the idea of it being available. Currently, I just redirect to my Facebook profile.

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Regardless of the fame aspect, your .com is your internet id.

You don't need to change your name when you become an author. Think Zach GALIFIANAKIS...He kept his. :)

DomainScoop.Com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i had a name LLLL.net (4 letters) I bought it from the guy for 10 bucks from domainer.

I forgot to renew it last year, now someone caught it, and they want 3,000 for it, :( , so yes, owning a name is internet id, but dont forget to renew.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have my family names in .com + other extensions. The names are not too common and they were regged a few years back.
I only use them for E-mail (hardly) but you never know. Plus, they can be shared with family.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I settled for the .net version of my first and last name. I personally would not care for just my first or last name .com. But first + last is what I wanted and a rather famous artist owns and operates the .com. Not to mention a few other companies have my name as business entities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators