Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld The number of TBR domains is higher than ever - why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Last week there was a pretty substantial number of domains in the TBR list, and so far the list for the coming week is looking to be just long, if not longer.

Along with many keyword domains, there were some geographical category domains, which to me indicates these were portfolio domains - so does this mean people are cutting back?

Generally I have seen a number of people actively reducing their holdings, which is only anecdotal evidence, but I wonder how many are from ordinary individuals who are not familiar with the changes CIRA implemented, and perhaps are simply missing the renewal opportunity?

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
People cleaning portfolios.

-=DCG=-

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Okay - but here is where we get into the old saying that 'one man's junk is another man's treasure': how are these domains dropping and then people are jumping to grab them at TBR - like consolidationloans.ca going for around 150 to 200 times the cost of the registration as a TBR domain?

The aftermarket is either not working well, or sellers really do not set realistic expectations for prices for expiring domains.

We keep seeing offers where sellers set prices in the hundreds of dollars for domains they are not willing to renew, and so buyers do not bid until the TBR happens.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The aftermarket is either not working well, or sellers really do not set realistic expectations for prices for expiring domains.

I think the aftermarket is fine for .ca, the issue is patience and some just don't wait long enough.

Prices in general for a good .ca is low if the buyer needs the cash. If you have cash there are plenty of better names to be had than in the TBR's.

I have bought 3 generic .ca's this week alone and will close another 2 before the week is up.

.ca is still 3-5 years away from peaking, so be prepared to sit on good inventory.

That said, sell 3 to get a better premium.

The game has changed since parking died, it's about quality not quantity... and it's going to stay that way.

-=DCG=-

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think that people dumping portfolios might see doing pushes 200 (or whatever their dump # is) times for a $10 domain sale might not be worth the time and possible hassle involved...
They could post bulk sales (maybe groups of 50?) that all could be pushed through one registrar with one $500 sale. That might be doable.

Just a thought

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think that people dumping portfolios might see doing pushes 200 (or whatever their dump # is) times for a $10 domain sale might not be worth the time and possible hassle involved...

I agree, I would rather drop a name than go through the hassle of trying to figure out how to transfer them and wait 60 days and all that crap for a few dollars.

-=DCG=-

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
people want quick turnaround and its not really there for .ca. the tbr is a funny thing, i guess the same could be said for any expired domains. i have let hand registrations expire that were available for years beforehand and sure enough someone in the tbr snaps them up. people would rather search through lists than look for good domains that haven't been registered. the new cira rules are probably a bit to blame. you get an email saying your domain has been deleted but it hasn't, etc.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the aftermarket is fine for .ca, the issue is patience and some just don't wait long enough.

Prices in general for a good .ca is low if the buyer needs the cash. If you have cash there are plenty of better names to be had than in the TBR's.

I have bought 3 generic .ca's this week alone and will close another 2 before the week is up.

.ca is still 3-5 years away from peaking, so be prepared to sit on good inventory.

That said, sell 3 to get a better premium.

The game has changed since parking died, it's about quality not quantity... and it's going to stay that way.

-=DCG=-

This is what I mean though: if there is a liquid market then almost everything can sell at some price.

We are still buying 40 to 50 .ca domains each week, and it is no problem for someone here to send me a PM and offer to push domains they are anyway going to drop.

I do think too many folks buy a domain like a lottery ticket: they hold onto it until the day it expires, even when it has long been clear that it is not a winner.

If a domain holder actually looked at the domain ten months into a registration and said, 'okay, no offers, no traffic and no change' they would be able to push that domain for $10 to someone like me and they are not out their entire cost. Then they can either find a better domain - or a better hobby. ;)

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is what I mean though: if there is a liquid market then almost everything can sell at some price.

We are still buying 40 to 50 .ca domains each week, and it is no problem for someone here to send me a PM and offer to push domains they are anyway going to drop.

I do think too many folks buy a domain like a lottery ticket: they hold onto it until the day it expires, even when it has long been clear that it is not a winner.

If a domain holder actually looked at the domain ten months into a registration and said, 'okay, no offers, no traffic and no change' they would be able to push that domain for $10 to someone like me and they are not out their entire cost. Then they can either find a better domain - or a better hobby. ;)

i'd sooner drop the domain that sell it for 10 bucks. why would you want domains that are not 'winners' anyways?

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If a domain holder actually looked at the domain ten months into a registration and said, 'okay, no offers, no traffic and no change' they would be able to push that domain for $10 to someone like me and they are not out their entire cost. Then they can either find a better domain - or a better hobby.

Are you collecting losing lottery tickets? ;) Unlike lotteries the ticket sometimes is cashable 2-10 years out.
The big issue is sometimes people don't have patience to wait or they realize what they thought was gold 12 months ago is now fool's gold to them.

I am dropping names but with a strategy that is guaranteed to be successful.

-=DCG=-

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would like to see this guarantee!

Without making too much of it, so far the average age of registrations for domains we have sold this year is close to eight years. We have had deals where prospective buyers have made inquiries and only after a number of months - or years - do they find themselves in a position to make reasonable offers.

Except Adam, Eby, Ilze and a few others, it seems most of the people expect a quick return simply for holding the domain, not including the folks who are rapidly flipping domains as their business model.

JonathanR

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@msn, that's very interesting. As a newbie domainer I really don't know what to expect as far turnaround time. It's helpful to get a sense of how long it's taking others. (Understanding that this also has a lot to do with the quality of the domain.)

I'm thinking of changing my domain purchasing strategy a little. Instead of buying 5 decent domains, I'm thinking I might take that same money and put it into one solid domain. Since I'm only getting started, I don't have the cash to take a risk at a bunch of okay domains just to see what happens.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Instead of buying 5 decent domains, I'm thinking I might take that same money and put it into one solid domain

That is a winning strategy! Hell, I would sell 5 and buy 1 better quality everyday of the week.

-=DCG=-

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domains in general aren't generating the revenue they used to with normal ppc and ad channels, so many (including me) are having to pair down portfolios if the income isn't being replaced (say by sales or development). I would say I'm only pairing down in the 10-15% range, but it would be less if I had my way. Same with .com and other extensions.

The problem with keeping the quality names is that aside from obvious generics and traffic names, there are also the 'second tier' type names that are highly brandable and COULD be good for a business. Some of my best sales have come from what I would call brandable or made up words. Turning a $30 TBR name into $2,000 for example.

Many of the biggest sales depend on having the exact domain that someone with deep pockets is looking for, and it isn't always a great generic name. Though I agree that sticking to obvious quality names is a strategy you can't argue.

There are so many facets to domaining and managing a domain portfolio, but what keeps me going is the potential, and that only one or two 'right' sales can be a game-changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom