Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

The numbers game

blade0817

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
All right guys, since I only deal with domains on and off and on the side, I must have lost track somewhere. What's with the numbers (NNN.... .com, .net ... etc.) pulling these big numbers and listed as top domains on the sales lists? I see even 6 and more numbers priced higher even than four character .coms! When did this shift happened and what can they really do with some meaningless numbers representing a website? I thought companies/businesses are looking for meaningful words, especially generic words.

If there was a discussion on this already please point me there. Thank you!

theluckyboy

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
domains without 0 and 4 have the most worth, they are going at mid xxx to low xxxx depends on other factors as well, e.g 333123 > 331235 > 331256

blade0817

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I wonder why though? I thought the value of a name is mostly determined by how businesses are able to use a domain name so particularly short and memorable names should be in favor. Who would ever remember to come back to a website called 333586? Yet even just last night the top two .com names on 4CN Live Auction were NNNNNN.com. I am confused ... :(

VictorVictories

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
In the Chinese culture, it is considered very lucky to have number containing 8. Consider the more the number of 8 in the domain the more expensive the domain name becomes similarly there are people who consider differ combinations of number lucky. Hence, the domain names that have a particular combination of number are brought at a premium price.

blade0817

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
In the Chinese culture, it is considered very lucky to have number containing 8. Consider the more the number of 8 in the domain the more expensive the domain name becomes similarly there are people who consider differ combinations of number lucky. Hence, the domain names that have a particular combination of number are brought at a premium price.
That's interesting and if they want to throw their money at those it's their choice but you can never start and run a successful website/business with any of those names as your customers will not remember them twice. So cash down the toilette; just search Wikipedia for 'List_of_most_popular_websites' for the 100 top websites. I counted seven actual numbers with all named combined together (even omitting extensions). So again good luck to those new owners.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators