Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed The pros and the cons...

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello everybody,

I asked for an appraisal of these DOT TO :

mustgo.to - wantgo.to - reselling.to - affiliate.to - bwelcome.to - w3welcome.to

I've got three answers (thank's to you), but, except Jim (he said : I really like the reselling.TO, although I have no idea how much it would go for), Sgopalam said " .to domains are pretty much useless " and Americar : " How can anybody appraise a DOT TO. ".

So I must say I found these answers a little short and not seriously argued at all.

I had a look on Afternic Site for different methods of appraisal, and I give you below many reasons of why I think they are (very) good DN (I'm only talking about reselling.to & affiliate.to and mustgo.to & wantgo.to, no matter about the two last ones) ; let me tell you about the pros :

1) They've got all a big potential (I'm talking about corewords)
2) their shortness is quite right
3) each of them is a single word (reselling, affiliate) or a single concept (must go to, want go to)
4) they leave in mind a memorable impression, becos easy to read, easy to pronounce and easy to spell
5) all of them are clear, concise, very meaningful (they tell exactly what they mean) and universal
6) they convey straight forward a simple and powerful message, have a big impact
7) they sound "funky" (want go to ?)
8) they are easy to remember and market over the internet through banner ads, they can generate a lot of click through or spontaneous hits just because they are catchy, friendly and inviting
9) everyone is able to understand their real message at a glance without extensive explaining
10) they can be used to make money (and a lot of money)
11) their letters look nice and are easily recallable if somebody see them in a magazine or on a bus, on tv or in print
12) I bet these names are also very frequently used in everyday conversation,

and so on…

Now, against all of this pros, the only opposite reason to a good value for these DN is their extension. I'm not sure it's enough, cos I think that .TO extension have potential but have yet to be proven.

I'm waiting for the cons...

Thank's to everyone to be patient, and excuse my english... Bye

Jean-Marie, from Rome

Domain summit 2024

If you don't think the tld is a big enough con for domain value, you need to do an awful lot more research.

tld's are what make or break domain values more than any other factor.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you have lots of money to spend to promote a catchy name, you will probably get somewhere with it.

People buy .com because the assumption here is that memories are short, and the last thing you want is for someone to recall your name and then mistakenly recall .com for the extension.

It's not that a domain name can't work because it doesn't have a default extension, it just takes more work to make the domain stick in general.

But once you've done that, your site name should be definitely more memorable and meaningful.

Attilio

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately Safesys is right.

All of your arguments are good but the TLD alone and by itself is sufficient to drammatically decrease the value of your domains.

I have domains in other TLDs too, in particular .info and though I think (hope better) that they might have a chance to increase their value on the next future I have no problem in admit that their actual reselling value is very near to zero.

Possibly if you would invest some time in develop small sites for your domains just to give a sample of how they could be used you might increase the chance of a sale though without any guarantee.

About short and sometimes, maybe, a little "rude" appraisals I want to say that anyone who takes the time to give you an opinion about your names is making you a big favour no matter which his opinion is.

Most people here are professionals of this very difficult market and they found their comments on years of experience that for I suggest you to never take offence for any appraisal/comment you receive, on opposite analyze them. This could save and or make you money.

Good Luck,

Hello,

Thank you for your answers. Attilio, I want to say you I didn't take offence for the first appraisals/comments I receive, it's just I wasn't agree with.
I read this comment yesterday : " The biggest problem we have with appraising at Afternic is that our members typically equate .com with the Web and with the USA, and dismiss offhandedly the fact that 94% of the planet doesn't live here or have the same values we do. Please understand that what you see now in terms of Web content and bandwidth and language capabilities is less than 5% of the amount you'll see in 2005."
So, if you digit "reselling.com" this URL forward you straight away to a sex site from Korea.
There's absolutely nothing for "reselling.net" and you must try "reselling.org"...
I just think the potential of "reselling.to" is most bigger than the .TO extension can let believe.
Anyway, I think I'll follow your advice and invest some time in develop small sites just to give samples of how they could be used...
Thank's a lot.
I'm always waiting for other advices. Bye,

Jean-Marie

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually, victorhugo, your comment just reminded me of Japan, where most of the surfin is done with the ne.jp extension.

Yes, the internet is exploding into mainstream in all parts around the world, and sometimes .com doesn't mean a hoot in those parts.

Even for msn. You register your hotmail with your country and it will automatically throw you to that country's extension from then on eg msn.co.uk

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Victor Hugo

Sorry about the short reply, but a dot TO has no resale value here.

At best if you had Sex.to .. that seems to have some value in any TLD, even only if it is for a collector, but the names that you mention cant work any other place than the .TO zone wherever that is.

You mention AN just forget anything that you see in there with strange extensions it's all B/S.

Appraisals anywhere are a joke and not to be taken seriously it can lead to a lot of empty wallets because so many realy believe what they read about the inflated valuations that they get carried away and just make the registrars more money.

So take the .TO to wherever it coms from and try to sell it there.

Good luck

:)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
v3.com has the pick of the .to bunch. Not sure if they are making money from them.

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MOLE

AN has the pick of the Dot SC ... so what.

They had Dot NR as well whre has that gone

No-where to be seen anymore ... maybe the Island of Nauru disapeared .. sunk.

I dunno do you.

:)

Even verisign is struggling to shift their .bz's on ebay (of all places).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators