Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

The .xyz Train Wreck

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParkLogic

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
2e1ax_default_frontpage_20140612_trainwreck.jpg

I’ve been watching the slow train wreck of .XYZ as it tries to justify its number one position in the stats for the greatest number of domains sold for a gTLD. I personally think that it’s a brilliant marketing ploy by both the registrar and the registry….but let’s just unpack things a little.

For a start, what’s a sale? A sale is when one party gives up some of their hard earned cash for the product or service that another party is offering. It’s clear that giving away free .XYZ domains at NetSol is NOT a sale at all and shouldn’t be counted as one. The buyers didn’t part with any cash (ie. it was a freebie) and have no commitment to the domains that were handed to them.

So why do this? I typically like to follow the money trail in these circumstances to sort out what is a sale versus what is a marketing exercise. What I don’t know is whether the domains given to registrants are set to auto-renew. If this is the case, the money trail leads me to the registry and the registrar potentially earning money at renewal time through deceptive conduct…..doesn’t sound too good. Let’s hope that this is NOT the case as it would badly tarnish both of their reputations.

Read More

Continue reading...

visit

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i really want read more from your trade, but something its wrong with your links... it load...and load... and load;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom